Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
the DaVinci Code - Am I the only one... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The DaVinci code?
  sucked
  rocked
  haven't read it
View Results

Aubrey Nicole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:30 am
...who found this to be a really poorly written book?
I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book and was pretty disappointed. I thought Dan Brown had an interesting idea and everything, but it wasn't written very well. I'm not sure I can really explain what I didn't like about the book, but it was too unbelievable. I mean, if they were on the run, whydid they always happen to have time to stop and explain like an hour's worth of information?
Okay, I understand that pretty much everyone in the country thinks Dan Brown is the best author in the world, but I don't, and I wanted to see if there was anyone else who agreed with me (because all of my family & friends that have red it think it's the best thing they've read, ever or something).  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:14 am
I know, it had information by the bucketload, but it was extremely crude. I liked reading it, but I didn't like the writing. Not to mention that a lot of the questions had exclamation marks instead of question marks. gonk Oh, the horror!  

Galadedrid Damodred

Aubrey Nicole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:39 pm
Galadedrid Damodred
I know, it had information by the bucketload, but it was extremely crude. I liked reading it, but I didn't like the writing. Not to mention that a lot of the questions had exclamation marks instead of question marks. gonk Oh, the horror!

yes, that's EXACTLY what I meant! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:26 pm
Hah. I can't remember, I was too absorded in the storyline xD

ljosberinn

ljosberinn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:42 pm
Also, on the movie.. I don't really reccommend it. It's the classical 'hey, that book was pretty popular, right, so let's make money!' kinda Hollywoody movie.
The thing that bugged me the most by far was the fact that Sophie Neveu was just this stupid chick in high heels and a skirt whereas in the book it was her that solved most of the problems and such. Bleh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:09 pm
I never really liked the Da Vinci Code. I think it has too many details.  

Roguemagus

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:20 pm
Terrible writing, boring idea. It's only interesting if you'd never heard of it all before. :/  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:35 am
i saw the movie in Japan. it was really cool, because when the albino monk is chanting in Italian, they had the subtitles translating what he was saying. I didn't read the book, but I saw the movie. my religion teacher from last year talked to us about the movie, saying that if we ever saw it, to remember that it's only a thriller movie.

hatori5  

CelestialAngel20

Kurshami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:02 pm
I didn't quite care for it. It's an idea that's really interesting, but there's no way that Dan Brown is the first to think of something like this. He just wins an award for being the only one to force it upon the world.

And yes, the writing was horrible. Exclamation points aren't screaming questions! If they were, then what I just said made little sense!

See!!! blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:11 pm
I'm in the middle of reading it. It seems as though the descriptions are switched on and off between vague and detailed. The story plot seems interesting, but didn't grab me until about the twentieth chapter. Honestly, I didn't really mind the exclamation points as much as I normally do, but it still bugs me a little. I'm still cloudy about whether it was well written or not, so sorry. sweatdrop  

Cheerfulhope

Varun_Pramanik

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:36 pm
The Da Vinci Code might be boring. I read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown, which is the prequel to The Da Vinci Code, and it was excellent. Really gripping and not crammed with too many details ( Although some might not understand a part which relates to Particle Physics ). The worst Dan Brown book I ever read was Deception Point ( Do not even think of reading it, you will regret it ).  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:48 pm
I loved the book, I thought it was great.
Not the best but it was great.

The movie though...they just didn't put enough of the book in it.

Rolling Box

Obsessive Garbage

33,350 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Expert Skill 150

[.i_like_pi.]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:14 am
ljosberinn
Hah. I can't remember, I was too absorded in the storyline xD

Yeah that is how I felt when I read it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:24 pm
It was a fun read. I would not take it seriously. This is not great literature. I plan to see the movie sometime, however, I am in no hurry. This is the type of book you read to keep your mind occupied when you are under stress. eek This is a good vacation book or when you or a loved one is in the hospital. stressed I cannot picture students reading this in classrooms as it is historically inaccurate and as so many others have pointed out grammatically overstressed. rolleyes

We need a few of these "roller coaster" books around for the fun of it. I do enjoy them from time to time. mrgreen  

Obiageli

Zieza

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:16 pm
I haven't read the book, but after seeing the movie I think I should. Really besides the graphic parts like the monk whipping himself it was a great movie.  
Literature

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff