Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Granny Square Ideas

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you used Granny squares?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:14 am
I'm thinking of trying my hand at crocheting some Granny squares, but the problem is...what do I do with them?

The only thing I can really think of is sewing a bunch of them together to create a unique afghan, but I'm wondering if anybody else has other ideas.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:39 am
Pillows, vest, tank top, sweater, skirt, scarves, shawl, hat, purse
I have a book of squares to crochet and ideas for what to do with them.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:18 am
Wow, Granny squares sound like useful little buggers!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:53 pm
That's what I've heard. I haven't personally made anything from granny squares yet, but it's on my "to do someday" list. There are even some patterns for "half squares" to use to fill in spaces when you don't want sharp 90 degree angles in your finished project.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

gingin929

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:29 am
Well I have made 2 12" squares and put them together to make a pillow, or you can make a whole bunch and make a coaster set, also you can make placemats afgans vests purses or whatever you want.....  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:31 am
a good place to go to get patterns is Lion Brand... They have a ton of free patterns.... www.lionbramd.com  

gingin929

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:54 pm
I heart Lion Brand!

I'm just asking because I found a book called "99 Granny Squares to Crochet" at my local Total Crafts. They're going out of business so it was super-cheap. I figured "Eh, maybe I'll learn something new!" At first I wasn't sure but now I'm seeing they're useful buggers! Yay!  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:19 am
I made a vest out of granny squares once.  

VP Club Freakin Justice

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:50 pm
I think i'm gonna make a pillow or a blanket with some of the granny squares I've made recently. They're good projects for me because I can't crochet a lot with my bum wrist and I can finish one in about 20 minutes(which is going slow so I don't hurt myself) and I dont have to worry about getting to the middle of a project and having to stop because of my wrist, then forgetting where I was.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:11 am
One of the first things I ever learned to crochet was a granny square. blaugh Mind you, that was only a few weeks ago... I want to crochet some more...  

Sammirah

Shirtless Prophet

10,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:24 pm
Yay for a newcomer to crochet! mrgreen

A vest out of granny squares? That sounds like it'd be really cool. I like the pillow idea, I may have to try that.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:17 pm
my mummy made a poncho out of a giant granny square once. She started with a round neck and collar, then just put corners on it every time she went around till it ended up square. It looks awesome, I will totally put up pictures once my camera leads can be found.  

I be me
Vice Captain

taligator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:04 pm
for something quick .. make a hat! It takes 5 or so Granny Squares, probably 4 rounds or maybe 5 depending on your head, and then you join four together at the bottom and the fifth one gets stitched onto the top.

It sounds weird but it's actually pretty cut. smile

Strangely I'm granny square challenged .. I've not yet been successful at making ANY granny squares.

*shrug*  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:07 pm
I made my friend a scarf using granny squares in her two favorite colors... bright pink and neon green. This works because it is for her and she wears anything i make her.

But i actually liked this one. What i did is i made the inside out of pink, then the middle row out of green, then the outer row out of pink. And then i made one with green inside, pink middle row, and green outer row. I made enough of them to make a long scarf and then sewed them together, using an obvious stitch and the two yarns mixed together. She loves it, and i think it would be awesome in other colors. I was actually thinking about selling some on ebay, since they were super easy....  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:22 pm
Wow, y'all have some fun-sounding granny square ideas! Now when the semester's over I'll have some stuff to try.

I showed the book to my Dad the other night. Apparantly my great-grandmother made something similar to granny squares out of cotton thread, which she then crochet together to make a tablecloth. So I may have to take a look at the tablecloth someday.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games