Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Talk like an Illianer! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Why?
  Because I can.
View Results

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:01 pm
For anyone who's read Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, you know what I'm talking about. I do be speaking of the people of Illian, and I do love their speech patterns. I did find no true Illianers, so I do be speaking of them on their behalf.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:49 am
Hooray for useless auxiliary verbs.  

The Man who was Thursday

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:11 am
Yes, useless auxiliary verbs do be most wonderful, no? I do be most enjoying speaking like they who do come from the lovely land of Illian. They do be much more pleasant than those who do come from Saldaea or Kandor.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:05 am
I did be never hearing of the Illianers before. I do be thinking that I do be wondering what Robert Jordan do been smoking when he did been making their speech pattern.

(Which is the appropriate past tense?)  

Xillania

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:44 pm
Xillania
I did be never hearing of the Illianers before. I do be thinking that I do be wondering what Robert Jordan do been smoking when he did been making their speech pattern.

Haha! That's very good! That do be excellent for a beginner!

Actually, it do be: I did never be hearing of Illianers before.

But apart from that, benissimo! I do think that Robert Jordan would be proud. Although I do be disappointed, for the members of the guild no do be interested in Illianers....

I do love Illianers.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:49 pm
Oh, I'm a big Robert Jordan fan myself, though I haven't read his books in so long. Were Illianers the ones who spoke so... dwarf-like, I guess you could say. Bar talk, or some such other way. =P

So then, my post would be:
Quote:

Oh, I be a big Robert Jordan fan myself, though I haven't been a reading his books in a long time. Were Illianers been the ones who be speaking so... dwarf-like, me guesses you might be saying. Bar talk, me thinks.. =P

Right? Maybe? Hmm.  

Ariomness

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:49 am
Ariomness
Oh, I'm a big Robert Jordan fan myself, though I haven't read his books in so long. Were Illianers the ones who spoke so... dwarf-like, I guess you could say. Bar talk, or some such other way. =P

So then, my post would be:
Quote:

Oh, I be a big Robert Jordan fan myself, though I haven't been a reading his books in a long time. Were Illianers been the ones who be speaking so... dwarf-like, me guesses you might be saying. Bar talk, me thinks.. =P

Right? Maybe? Hmm.

It do be imperfect, but for one who no do be used to Illianer accents, you do be doing well. Ooh, the moon do be nearly full... (I do be seeing it from my seat by the window).  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:42 pm
Galadedrid Damodred
Xillania

But apart from that, benissimo! I do think that Robert Jordan would be proud. Although I do be disappointed, for the members of the guild no do be interested in Illianers....

I do love Illianers.

Perhaps because this is a grammar guild, and this "Illian" is a butchering of all that is grammatically sound.  

The Man who was Thursday

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:49 am
Ezra Pound
Galadedrid Damodred
Xillania

I do love Illianers.

Perhaps because this is a grammar guild, and this "Illian" is a butchering of all that is grammatically sound.

It is actually a dialect of English. There are dialects of Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, etc. so why not English? It gives the language a little flavour.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:45 pm
Galadedrid Damodred
Ezra Pound
Galadedrid Damodred
Xillania

I do love Illianers.

It is actually a dialect of English. There are dialects of Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, etc. so why not English? It gives the language a little flavour.

In that case, chatspeak is a dialect of English.

Doesn't matter, though; this is "A guild dedicated to the protection of the King's English."  

The Man who was Thursday

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:48 am
Ezra Pound
Galadedrid Damodred
Ezra Pound
Galadedrid Damodred
Xillania

I do love Illianers.

Doesn't matter, though; this is "A guild dedicated to the protection of the King's English."

No, chatspeak do be a retarded written form of English, not the English language. I do protest! You did be wrong in comparing the speech of Illian with the hideous chatspeak! I do be outraged on behalf of the Illianers.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:13 am
Galadedrid Damodred
Ezra Pound
Galadedrid Damodred
Ezra Pound
Galadedrid Damodred
Xillania

I do love Illianers.

No, chatspeak do be a retarded written form of English, not the English language. I do protest! You did be wrong in comparing the speech of Illian with the hideous chatspeak! I do be outraged on behalf of the Illianers.

It's another way of expressing oneself in English, which does not take into account any accepted forms of grammar.

So... I seem to be missing something. How are they different?  

The Man who was Thursday

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:01 pm
Ezra Pound
Galadedrid Damodred
Ezra Pound
Galadedrid Damodred
Ezra Pound

It's another way of expressing oneself in English, which does not take into account any accepted forms of grammar.

So... I seem to be missing something. How are they different?

Chatspeak do be for when imbeciles do be too lazy to type out entire words. The dialect of Illian do be distinct: Illianers do use the emphatic tense of nearly every verb, they do shun the progressive tense, and do use "no" in place of "not." So you see, the dialect of Illian and chatspeak do be almost opposites. One do be for lazy people who can no be stuffed typing out entire words, one do be more difficult than ordinary English.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:54 pm
It is still grammatically incorrect.  

The Man who was Thursday

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:13 am
I suppose it is, at that. But it do be extremely amusing!  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff