Loathe it...
  HHmmm.. that's a tough one.
View Results

Ozumou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:06 pm
With the usual debate about pPlaters going on in NSW,
Alan Moffat suggested we get Driver ed in our schools
the same way the yanks have...

I think it would have to happen in Year 10 when everyone is still there.
And not sure if a teacher would take it or a driver instructor,
but I think it is a good idea.

What is your say?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:03 pm
Seeing as that's NSW and nit VIC, it really doesn't apply to me, but I think it's a good idea as well. They teach you just about everything else in school, why not driving as well? It's such an integral part of soceity these days, that it makes a lot of sense.

I suppose the main issue would be cost. Would the Government pay for it all? How much would they pay for? Would their limited spending mean the programme is really no good at all. Would other sections of the school budget have to be trimmed down. How would small schools tackle the issue, etc.  

WellzY
Crew

StreekG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:56 pm
My high school used to have it, Bentleigh Secondary College, they stopped doing it about 2 years before i started year 7 there... And that was quite a long time ago, like... 8 years...  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:27 am
Why did it stop and what did people think of it?  

Ozumou

scruffy012

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:25 am
hmm, my old high school did have a driver ed program, and i used it... it was pretty good. Ballina High was a good high school razz  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:36 am
i dont like drivin cuz im scared of ther cars hurting my baby so prehaps it could of helped me  

Taine

StreekG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:03 am
Ozumou
Why did it stop and what did people think of it?

back in the days when my older brother went to high school they had the drivers ed there, apparently it was pretty fun, just fanging the crap cars they had in the auto room around the oval.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:01 am
StreekG
My high school used to have it, Bentleigh Secondary College, they stopped doing it about 2 years before i started year 7 there... And that was quite a long time ago, like... 8 years...

We did? I had no idea.

I guess it was only for studnets at 15/16 anyway, right?  

WellzY
Crew

Simonluvs69

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:07 pm
We had some driver ed crap this year.. all it was was some old copper showin us pictures of car crashes, and the dangers of 'hoon driving'... Quite a waste of time realy, atleast it got us out of doing work xd  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:20 pm
It probably would be a good idea for some schools but not all.

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

Alexie_dennison

6,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:16 pm
*nods nods nods*
yeah it would be pretty Kewl smile
PEOPLE WOULD LEARN TO FREAKIN DRIVE!!!!!!!
Im out on the road...and noone uses BLINKERS!
GOD WHAT IS THE WORLD COMMING TOO!
and someguy City Taxi drivered me. he swerved out infront of me because there was Only just a cars length infront of me i had to hit the breaks really Quickly or i would have died....((dramatisation...I would have just pranged him XD))  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:56 am
kind of had something about it in school
it was based on getting your learners.
we read the book. did the test and see how we did.

zonic69

Falethial

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:15 pm
Learning -how- to drive, is something you do one on one. Like on your L's, when you're screaming at mum because she's telling you to go slower, go faster, do this do that.... lol On the other hand, driver ettiquette is -not- something you learn off your parents. Mainly coz most of them dont have any. Althought what would be -really- cool, is to get a realistic driving simulator built and sell it to the governement to put in schools XD...Okay, my idea...NO STEALING! But just think, they have them out there for PSes and all that kinda thing, so why not make something like it for tutoring purposes. It would save a lot of time and money. And hell, if you build the seat and all that kinda stuff with electronic motor controls you could even probably simulate minor car accidents, you know, scare people into driving safely. *sighs softly* My brother had a car accident two days before Christmas this year. It's shaken our family around quite a bit since it was really bad. His girlfriend didn't survive. I wonder if he'd have been involved in something like this would it have made a difference. I just...dont know. A hoon, is going to be a hoon, no matter what you try and tell them to do/not to do.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:35 am
well firstly that is such an american thing i mean really but they do teach everything else in schools these days...why not driving  

gosoph

Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:05 pm
back when i was young wart hog (okay, no more disney movies for me), we actually had someone come in to the school to give us a 'theory' lesson on driving, like the risks, the rules etc. i think that is all that is really needed, not some full blown drivers ed program that they run over in the states. leave the practical side of things to proper instructors, and run some educational program aimed at those around the age of students getting their L plates. the thing is, really, the kinda stuff P platers are doing is nothing new, it is that they are doing it more in public areas rather than finding somewhere quiet that they can do it.  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff