Reply ~ Main Forum ~
clothes from non-goth stores? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:24 pm
Do you ever shop in non-goth stores? If and when you do, do you ever find good goth clothing in there, or clothes aren't necessarily goth but could be worn in an goth outfit?

I for one have found that a lot of mainstream, non-goth stores have had some really cool clothes that could be used to complete the goth look, or even clothes that by themselves are kind of goth. For example, I have a plain black skirt from Kohls that is more bohemian than goth, but when worn under a black ballet skirt is really pretty! Then I have two really cool shirt that go with that combo, one's from Kohls and another from Filene's Basement.

Another example, you can find plain black long-sleeved shirts anywhere, and they're really useful when worn under t-shirts in the winter, so you can still wear cool shirt in winter - for some reason almost all the best shirts are short-sleeved.

Oh, and you can find really cool stuff at dance stores. Ballet shirts, ballet flats, beautiful accessories, etc. Or just go through old dance costumes if you have them.

In other words, I've found that not all the best goth clothes and outfits come from gothic stores.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:28 pm
There being VERY few goth-stores ANYWHERE, getting goth fashion from other sources is virtually unavoidable. And no, I do not consider Hot Topic to be goth. At all. I regularly shop:

-The GAP
-Kohls
-The Players (a local theater which sells it's old constumes every few years... easily the best source for vintage clothes I've EVER found)
-Salvation Army
-Ciro Citterio (whenever I can)
-Syms  

GilAskan
Crew

Clash of Vision

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:41 pm
I said it in another thread, but I'll briefly state it again: the clothes don't make someone gothic, it's the inner spark. That's my opinion. domokun  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:01 pm
Clash of Vision
I said it in another thread, but I'll briefly state it again: the clothes don't make someone gothic, it's the inner spark. That's my opinion. domokun

I agree. However, there are still numerous fashion styles which were developed in and by the goth culture, and there are numerous fashion styles which appeal to (and are worn by) goths.  

GilAskan
Crew

Clash of Vision

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:28 pm
GilAskan
Clash of Vision

I agree. However, there are still numerous fashion styles which were developed in and by the goth culture, and there are numerous fashion styles which appeal to (and are worn by) goths.

True that. I just wonder if the development of fashion "guidelines," or types, are what lead to the dissolving of a subculture into mainstream. Easier consumption maybe. confused  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:39 pm
Clash of Vision
GilAskan
Clash of Vision

True that. I just wonder if the development of fashion "guidelines," or types, are what lead to the dissolving of a subculture into mainstream. Easier consumption maybe. confused

It can lead to a subculture's absorbtion into the mainstream, but at the same time, it can also keep a subculture seperate from the mainstream. Some of the goth fashions of the mid 80's (particularly when Sisters of Mercy were getting popular) were definetely crossing into mainstream territory, sharing 80's trends like lycra leggings and mirror-shades. On the other hand, certain fashions (such as the victorian influenced "Romantigoth" look) are so far from mainstream conventions that it's almost become an invisible badge of pride.  

GilAskan
Crew

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:11 pm
I believe I've discussed this before.

I don't shop anywhere that's necessarily goth.

There aren't any goth shops around!

So when seeking clothing items - which is rare, more like I stumble upon them and make the decision to purchase them - I go here:

1. Salvation Army
2. Plato's Closet
[kind of like the Salvo, but directed at youth]
3. Gadzooks
[GREAT stuff]
4. Kohls
5. Wet Seal
[on occassion]
6. Express
[when they are having sales]
7. Grasshopper
[a local hippie shop]

That's about it.

I found a really awesome dress at Gadzooks a few weeks ago, but it was $45. I'm cheap, so I didn't buy it. It was a coat dress, but an olive green/tan-ish colour. Then I found almost an identical one - this one was black! - at Wet Seal. $36. A fair bit less, but still over my randomized budget. I'm hoping to go back sometime soon and see if they are still there.
And you all know me, if I get it, you'll get pictures.

^^

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:31 pm
Well... I shop at Target, Wal-Mart, Burlington Coat Factory, Macy's, Sears, and whenever I get the money, I'll walk into a Brooks Brothers once in a blue moon.  

-Isel-

ketchakik

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:44 pm
erm......i buy my plain tshirts and black pants at walmart......
get my shoes at just about anywhere....rf  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:01 pm
I find great stuff everywhere, even the pinkest of stores haha I went into a papaya clothing store with a few friends one time and i found an amazing lace corset top. ^_^ I love that top. So don't limit yourself to the "goth" stores. Great things can be found everywhere.  

Lady Detarra

-Panty.Waste-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:17 am
I don't usually wear goth clothes.

I used to. It looked so pretty. But for some reason now, I just can't pull it off. Not even the slightest.

I wish I could post a picture of what I looked like when I was sorta goth, but it's in my photo album. And I have no scanner. Depressing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:26 am
I've found that (if you shop in the city, I usually go down Chapel Street) skulls are in (woo!). So I get a tonne of skull tops, sweet jewelry, hot skirts and bags from high class stores (who are having sales, of course) that perfectly complete my gothy little outfit of the day.

I found some black socks with pink skull n' cross bones all over them at an independant stall in Prahran Market for $2.

Jay Jays is a good place, too. I've got a few cool things from there (so have my brothers). Lotsa skulls, crosses and gore there sometimes. You really have to check it out frequently or you miss out on some great stuff.

I was even in Just Jeans the other day and found my new favorite top! Black with white, see-through skulls.

(Can you tell I have a thing for skulls?)

Of course it doesn't top a gothy shop though!

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

TheWitchGotRobin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:44 am
All the time. It's cheaper. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:44 am
Clash of Vision

That's my opinion too, but I want my clothes to reflect that inner spark ya know? Besides, goth clothes are perdy 3nodding  

Freedom Fire

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:48 am
Thank God . . . I thought I was the only one here who didn't have access to an underground goth scene with "real" goth stores. Sometimes I feel like a poser just because I live in the suburbs and I don't have a car, so the closest I do come to a "goth" store would be Hot Topic and Spencer's, and yes I know most people here don't consider them to be real "goth" stores. Sometimes I feel like a fluff because I don't live smack dab in the middle of Boston's goth scene.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff