Reply The Order of the Phoenix: A Harry Potter Guild
TOO Depressing? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RJ Hazelwood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:06 pm
Does anyone think Harry Potter's gotten too depressing? When the first few books came out, they were so much fun because you sort of got to experience an exciting new world. Sure, bad things happened, but you got the idea that things couldn't go too wrong with Dumbledore around.

Now, though, they're so sad. Two of my favorite characters have been killed off, and I suspect several more of them will die too. I think the last book is going to be very much a downer. Don't get me wrong, I still love HP but they've lost that sort of "wouldn't life be fun if it were like that" feeling.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:50 pm
No, I think not.
:]

This.Is.Jezebel.In.Hell

Fleur Evette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:03 pm
I still think they are exciting books. It was very tragic when Dumbledore died though.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:58 am
I can see that. And I don't think the 7th book's ganna be the cheeriest thing in the world either. Doesn't bother me much, though.  

TheWitchGotRobin

covo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:57 pm
They've gotten a bit more depressing but I'll always be a die hard fan. <3333  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:30 pm
not really  

rikaLeshay

Twinkeles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:43 pm
Yea they are, but its all part of the story you know  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:38 am
It's only going to get worse. J.K Rowling said there is a strong possiblity that Harry will die.  

Anime4ev

Takarakoten

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:17 am
...sorta worried now that u mentioned that.....BUT still rooting for a happy ending!!!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:40 pm
What some people have to understand is that Sirius and Dumbledore died for a reason. Yes, it was sad, but Rowling's gotta do what Rowling's gotta do. I mean, there are reasons. Notice how J.K. killed off two of Harry's closest fatherly figures. I think she did that because she wants him to get closer to someone else, and someone else is going to take over that role. There always has to be someone, because the books are all about love. Lily died for love, Sirius died for love of Harry (willing to help him)...Harry always needs someone to love. Meaning that no, the books aren't depressing. Or at least, not in my opinion.

Plus, romance is happy, right? Think of all the romances she has to finish up or explain. Lupin/Tonks, Ron/Hermione, maybe Harry/Hermione...  

BananaNutt

GhoulPuppy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:20 am
I think the darker mood fits the times. I don't remember much of the 90's, I was too little, but it seems a lighter time then now. Everything seems more......emo......For lack of a bettter term. *I have nothing against emo, I'm kinda emo myself* We as a society are more sophisticated and as a result darker....It just follows....  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:17 am
Anime4ev
It's only going to get worse. J.K Rowling said there is a strong possiblity that Harry will die.

If he does die, I hope it's not "tacked on," so to speak, just to make the book more shocking. (Cedrics death seemed that way to me.)  

TheWitchGotRobin

MysticKoi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:09 am
well think of it this way.
if we weren't said that two good people died, it wouldn't be a good story.

Now, a book the has the power to make you smile AND cry... now thats good story tellin'  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:07 am
no. jk, has just gotten into some deeper level concepts that make it difficult not to kill people off. i mean she is a fabulous author, and if everything was all perfect, it just wouldn't be her style. and if you were to reread hbp you would realize that is relly only the end that is sad. most of it is extreme;y funny.  

marletta

ofbittersweetmemories

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:35 am
BananaNutt
What some people have to understand is that Sirius and Dumbledore died for a reason. Yes, it was sad, but Rowling's gotta do what Rowling's gotta do. I mean, there are reasons. Notice how J.K. killed off two of Harry's closest fatherly figures. I think she did that because she wants him to get closer to someone else, and someone else is going to take over that role. There always has to be someone, because the books are all about love. Lily died for love, Sirius died for love of Harry (willing to help him)...Harry always needs someone to love. Meaning that no, the books aren't depressing. Or at least, not in my opinion.

Plus, romance is happy, right? Think of all the romances she has to finish up or explain. Lupin/Tonks, Ron/Hermione, maybe Harry/Hermione...

you get two kudos, one for good theory about fatherly figures, and two for finally being someone who admits that H/H could be a couple  
The Order of the Phoenix: A Harry Potter Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff