Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
what type of knitting needles are better? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

what is your fave needle style?
  normal
  circular
  sock, or what ever those dubble ended ones are called
View Results

krapolaonastick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:51 pm
i've always wondered...  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:57 pm
Depends on what you're doing. I have issues with circulars (I can never get them to work on small projects). DPNs (Double Pointed Needles or those "Double pointed ones") are very handy, but stitches like to slip off the ends (I put point protectors on there to prevent this). I love just plain old straight needles in either metal or wood (not big on plastic, but knitlites are fun. It's just what you're doing and what you like.  

LadyAnubis

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:47 pm
krapolaonastick
i've always wondered...

Totally depends on your project.

Circular needles are the most versitile, though. You can knit flat, in the round, and there are techniques you can use to where you can use them instead of DPNs.

Straight needles just annoy me since I don't like having all the weight of my project on one side or another. Also, I'm not often working on flat objects. If I am, it's usually small and I just use two DPNs.

DPNs and I have always gotten along just fine. I've never had a slippage problem, but I use bamboo or wood which tend to stay in place with most fibers. Well, and I'm mostly a tight knitter too.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:38 am
I've only used normal or double-pointed ones, and I have to say my favorites are the normal ones. I haven't tried wooden ones, but my craft budget is kind of limited so I stick to the metal or plastic ones I find for $4 at the craft store. But they work well and I don't want to say anything ugly about them that might make them not cooperate with me! sweatdrop  

Brunette_Star

krapolaonastick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:33 pm
i got this kewl pair that are like clear with this wierd pink twisty thing in the center, they are shweet  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:54 pm
I prefer straight needles or DPNs. I'm currently switching out all my old metal needles for bamboo. I love the feel of it in my hand, and they're not too slippery or cold.
I've always used DPNs for circular knitting, but I did purchase a bamboo circular needle for a throw I made this past spring.

I agree, circulars are the most versatile. I'm just now acquiring love for them.... heart  

Mommette

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:56 pm
Mommette
I prefer straight needles or DPNs. I'm currently switching out all my old metal needles for bamboo. I love the feel of it in my hand, and they're not too slippery or cold.
I've always used DPNs for circular knitting, but I did purchase a bamboo circular needle for a throw I made this past spring.

I agree, circulars are the most versatile. I'm just now acquiring love for them.... heart

If you want the most swoon-worthy circulars, treat yourself to some Skacel Addi Naturas. They're bamboo with a cord to die for. The cord is all nice a floppy and never kinks or makes a nusence of itself. They run around $15 a pair, but I'm all about investing in good tools. *grin*  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:38 am
Personally I don't care for circulars, because I usually work on smaller projects. I have two sets with 16" cords, and I never use them because I never make anything with that circumfrance or width.  

LadyAnubis

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:08 am
I prefer metal straight needles. DPN's can be good for some projects(ie anything in the round) but since I don't really do much that would require it, it's not that much of a problem. I've never had any big reason to use circulars, so I don't even own any...  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:15 pm
I'm a big fan of double pointed needles - mostly because I love making socks, and it's much simpler for me to use four needles instead of a circular one (my non-knitting friends look at me really weird for this).
I do think that circular needles have their place, though - I used a lovey wooden one to make a lovely long warm scarf. mrgreen I don't usually use the "regular" kind - just two - unless I'm whipping up a quick scarf on huge ones.  

Beboots

Phishy

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:27 am
I'm a DPN freek, but that's because I do a lot of my knitting for 1/4 and 1/3 scale dolls and well... they just don't make circulars small enough and good luck finding streights in a size smaller than 0. If I'm knitting flat I just use two of the DPNs and watch the backs of my needles. It's generaly not a problem for most projects.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:52 pm
Personally, i like my bamboo straights.... the longer ones, since i like to be able to shove my scarves down the needles and have them not fall off. I mostly knit scarves, so its not an issue for me.

I like DPNs for the fact that you can use them as cable needles in a pinch, and i find them easier then circulars to store. I didn't have a problem figuring out how to use them, and circulars, actually, confuse me more. at least for knitting in the round. Don't ask me why, cause i dunno.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Jka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:35 pm

Bamboo = <3

:]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:33 am
krapolaonastick
i've always wondered...

Like everyone else has said, it depends on the project....but I have the most fun when I am using my double points, so they are, by far, my favorites.  

noocleer_biskit

Kaye_Ink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:27 am
Personally I just love my straight, bamboo needles! Although my circulars are a ton of fun to knit on too depending on the project I'm working on.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff