What's your zodiacal element?
  Fire
  Water
  Air
  Earth
View Results

Aiste Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:24 am
Aplogies if it's been discussed, but rather fittingly, one of the elements of Paganism I found particularly interesting was the way things were seen through elements. It's such a simple yet complex way of understanding the energies around us, as well as the people around us, or at least a part of them. From all I've seen these elements are Air, Water, Earth and Fire. There's also supposedly the Ether, which is like a background energy for all of the elements, as in, it's where all the elements derive their energy from originally, something they all have in common.

I'm sure all of you already know most of this but it doesn't hurt to have the basics somewhere. My understanding of the general meaning of the elements are something like this; Air is that which isn't solid or tangible, like thoughts, artistic expression, social behavior, etc. Water is basically like the flow of emotions and is related to a lot more of the comfort of emotions, thoughts originating from emotions. Earth is like constancy, practicality (down to Earth) and that which is more solid. And Fire is like the energy behind everything, in activities, in movement, in processes, the driving force.

The elementals of the Air are Sylphs. The elementals of the Water are Undines. The elementals of Earth are Gnomes. The elementals of Fire are Salamanders. The presence of the different elementals around us can have different effects on us and our moods. Each element has 3 signs of the zodiac under it, as well as a king and an archangel. The king of the Air elementals is Paralda. The king of the water elementals is Niksa. The king of the Fire elementals is Djinn.

The archangels for the elements are the following:

Air - Raphael "Rah-Fah-Ehl"
Water - Gabriel "Gah-Bree-Ehl"
Earth - Auriel "Ah-Ree-Ehl"
Fire - Michael "Mee-Kaw-Ehl"

So I have this book purely on the Faerie realm and it's about communicating with Nature Spirits and Elementals, I'm not done reading it, but it's very interesting so far and that's some of the basic information it gives. There's also a way you can determine what elementals you could most easily or naturally attune to, based on which elements are most present in you. There's two major ways of determining what elements are present with you the most and that's; your Zodiac and your First Name.

Air - Gemini, Libra, Aquarius
Water - Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces
Earth - Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn
Fire - Aries, Leo, Sagittarius

As for your first name, it's supposed to help show with which elements/elementals you have the most natural resonance with, mostly through the strongest vowel. The other vowels showing a more secondary play of those elements in your life.

Air vowel: E
Water vowel: O
Earth vowel: U
Fire vowel: I
Fire/Water vowel: Y
Ether: A

So my first name being Jonathon and my zodiac being Leo, I figured I'm mainly influenced by the Fire and Water elements the strongest. Opposite elements aren't supposed to cancel each other out since all elements balance with each other. I also have a bit of Ether present which basically augments and intensifies the effects the roles of different elements (or the mix of) have in my life. I thought learning that stuff was pretty interesting. That shows some of the different influences on me and my personality as well as what elementals I would most easily attune to. I look forward to trying to communicate in some way with them sometime.

One neat experience I had recently was right after I finished reading another book I got recently called Pagan Ways, I was gonna have a fire with my friend like we often do for the fun of it. Except this time I said I dedicated it to the salamanders since apparently they love and exist as fire. As I was gathering some wood, and approached the area where I planned to start the fire, you know that feeling of heat on a current of flowing air you feel right above the fire usually? Well I felt that just walking into the area, hit my face, before there was any fire started, and it was definately noticeable. I thought that was really cool. Turned out to be a great fire too.

Anyways.. Many of you probably know more about this stuff than I do, but just incase, thought I'd share all that anyways. I'm curious if any of you have elemental or nature spirit experiences to share. And if anyone wants any more information, just ask. If any of that is wrong, just let me know. Thanks. smile

Discuss:

Elements
Zodiac
Elementals
Nature Spirits
Archangels
Elemental Kings
Paganism  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:30 pm
I find this all very interesting but I do have a question for you. I was given two names at birth. One stuck with me legaly and the other slowly faded even though i still bring it up. Do you know which name i should use for this?

I've always had a strong connection with every element. My house has all of them in it. Candles, plants, fountains, and wind chimes. I've had times where i would get angry and light bulbs would go out or break. I've had times where i was so sad and longed for something outside and out of no where a lone flower would appear even where it shouldn't be. There are days when i want wind to come and as soon as i think it, it comes very strongly. I don't have such a strong connection with water. It is just there to calm me and relax me.

so hopefully you can help me. I'm a Taurus therefore my element is Earth. My legal name is Brittany (the one on my birth certifigate) but my original name is Aurora. I'm not sure what one to go by. sweatdrop  

Aurora234

Jezehbelle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:12 pm
Names are definately interesting things.

My name is Jessica Michelle Rowland.
In my first name there aren't any strong vowels, but Air, Fire and Ether would be represented.
Michelle is typically the feminine form of the name Michael, which, as stated above, would be the archangel of Fire.
My last name in Old Norse means "Roebuck Grove" or "Roebuck Forest" and in Old German it means "Renowned Land" (and in Gaelic it possibly just means "wheel". We have so many definitions because we're not sure where the first American Rowlands were originally from and we're definately products of the American Melding Pot anyways). All of those translations sound very Earth-like to me.

I'm a Leo though, and a Tiger (on the Eastern Zodiac), both are associated with fire (and I'm a Fire Tiger, according to a friend, apparently). If you get my life path number and put it next to the (Rider-Waite-esque) tarot decks, it's the Strength card (and Star card), which is symbolic of Leo (and Aquarius for the Star).

-ENDRAMBLE-

I'm much more comfortable with Earth, however, and have no U in my name at all. o_O; I even look Earthy, with green ("sunflower") eyes and multi-brown hair. After Earth, Fire and Water get a tie and then Air.

I've never had an experience with an elemental, in reguards to undines, gnomes, slyphs and salamaders. I've found a salamander before, and followed it around for a while, but the elemental, I don't think so. o_O
Other nature spirites, all the time.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Everybody has a Ether in their makeup, if you look at it as the fifth element, which is more commonly known as SPIRIT. That is inherent in all things, because it's the spark of the Source of creation, and we all carry that around within us.

I've been told I have a strong Earth influence, and then others see Water, and I see Air. Not much in the affinity of Fire, though.

twisted  

Kain Wynd

Anabis

Monster Mage

21,250 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:50 pm
American says I'm an Earth, Chinese says I'm a Fire, and the first name thing says Spirit X3 Ain't I a neat little mix? ;3

This is really neat, Shukran (Thank You) For shareing it! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:04 pm
Aurora234
I find this all very interesting but I do have a question for you. I was given two names at birth. One stuck with me legaly and the other slowly faded even though i still bring it up. Do you know which name i should use for this?

I've always had a strong connection with every element. My house has all of them in it. Candles, plants, fountains, and wind chimes. I've had times where i would get angry and light bulbs would go out or break. I've had times where i was so sad and longed for something outside and out of no where a lone flower would appear even where it shouldn't be. There are days when i want wind to come and as soon as i think it, it comes very strongly. I don't have such a strong connection with water. It is just there to calm me and relax me.

so hopefully you can help me. I'm a Taurus therefore my element is Earth. My legal name is Brittany (the one on my birth certifigate) but my original name is Aurora. I'm not sure what one to go by. sweatdrop

http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa012400a.htm
That's about "Sliders" which is a term for people who affect electronics (lightbulbs too) and whatknot. You might find that interesting.

Well I'm not entirely sure about the name thing, but I would say to just go with the name you've had the longest. If that was going to be your name, but they made a last minute change, then I would think the name you ended up with and are known as/called by would be the "strongest" with you.

The element of the zodiac sign shows more of the elemental qualities you wish to achieve in this lifetime and would also indicate that elements presence in your life (connecting with those elementals would help you to achieve their qualities). If any element is lacking that means you need to double your efforts to connect with that element. Since each element is important.  

Aiste Spirit

Aiste Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Jezehbelle
Names are definately interesting things.

My name is Jessica Michelle Rowland.
In my first name there aren't any strong vowels, but Air, Fire and Ether would be represented.
Michelle is typically the feminine form of the name Michael, which, as stated above, would be the archangel of Fire.
My last name in Old Norse means "Roebuck Grove" or "Roebuck Forest" and in Old German it means "Renowned Land" (and in Gaelic it possibly just means "wheel". We have so many definitions because we're not sure where the first American Rowlands were originally from and we're definately products of the American Melding Pot anyways). All of those translations sound very Earth-like to me.

I'm a Leo though, and a Tiger (on the Eastern Zodiac), both are associated with fire (and I'm a Fire Tiger, according to a friend, apparently). If you get my life path number and put it next to the (Rider-Waite-esque) tarot decks, it's the Strength card (and Star card), which is symbolic of Leo (and Aquarius for the Star).

-ENDRAMBLE-

I'm much more comfortable with Earth, however, and have no U in my name at all. o_O; I even look Earthy, with green ("sunflower") eyes and multi-brown hair. After Earth, Fire and Water get a tie and then Air.

I've never had an experience with an elemental, in reguards to undines, gnomes, slyphs and salamaders. I've found a salamander before, and followed it around for a while, but the elemental, I don't think so. o_O

You have some pretty interesting meanings behind your name. o.O

I'm not sure energy signature wise, what your middle and last (or any other names) represent if anything. But from what I've read, there's emphasis on the first name for the play of elemental energies in your life. In the name Jessica, your guess is as good as mine as to what vowel is pronounced more strongly. It seems like it'd either be the E or the A if anything. If you don't count Ether, or just remember Ether is like an intensifying element, you'd be mainly Fire and Air. Since the only other vowel is an I, that just shows up as some more Fire element.

If Earth is missing from your zodiac and name then that would show you may need to show extra effort to attune to that element and its energies. So it might not be that unusual for you to feel more comfortable with Earth, or find it around you more often.

I think the elements we have in us don't solely mean that's how we are, or how we act, but are also which elements influence us to learn from them, what characteristics we may be learning from in this lifetime. Like a lot of fire may show you want to learn how to balance that element out with the others.

I'm still learning about this stuff though.

Quote:

I'm curious  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:59 pm
This is really interesting, but I'm a little confused. I'm a Scorpian, so that means that my element is Water, but in the Chinese Zodiac, I'm an Earth Snake, and with the first name system, the strongest element for me would be Fire (i) and then Ether (a.)

I don't really understand this system and how this works...sorry. sweatdrop  

Rioto_Kish

Jezehbelle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:34 pm
Aiste Spirit
You have some pretty interesting meanings behind your name. o.O
It comes from not knowing where the family tree's roots are. o_O;
Quote:
I'm not sure energy signature wise, what your middle and last (or any other names) represent if anything. But from what I've read, there's emphasis on the first name for the play of elemental energies in your life. In the name Jessica, your guess is as good as mine as to what vowel is pronounced more strongly. It seems like it'd either be the E or the A if anything. If you don't count Ether, or just remember Ether is like an intensifying element, you'd be mainly Fire and Air. Since the only other vowel is an I, that just shows up as some more Fire element.
Since I'm not just "Jess(ica)", so that's sortof why I went a bit further with my middle and last name. Jess or Jessica is how people usually see me, but the whole name and the whole picture is what or how I see myself. Jessica has multiple meanings, as either "Wealth" or "God sees" or "God's Gift". I've already said the various meanings for my last name. Michelle is the only name that has a clearer cut meaning, as "Who is Like God" in Hebrew from the name Michael, thusly why I brought it up.
(which is neat, because if you take one translation of my whole name and put it out of order, you get "Wealthy and Renowned Land, who is like God" which sortof makes me sound like heaven. surprised )
Rowland, however, is a view of family history. They could've given me any name they wanted to, but I would still be a Rowland girl. "Historically" my family has been rooted to the Earth, and has lived in the mountains or in the woods or at least around a heck of a lot of trees and hills, for the last 200 years, at least (as far back as we've gone through geneology research).

I didn't choose any bit of my name, or when I was born, I just was and the name was up to my parents, so I can't say or think of why it should be limited to my first name or birthday. [: The whole thing is a part of who I am.
... -endramble-

Quote:
If Earth is missing from your zodiac and name then that would show you may need to show extra effort to attune to that element and its energies. So it might not be that unusual for you to feel more comfortable with Earth, or find it around you more often.

I think the elements we have in us don't solely mean that's how we are, or how we act, but are also which elements influence us to learn from them, what characteristics we may be learning from in this lifetime. Like a lot of fire may show you want to learn how to balance that element out with the others.

I'm still learning about this stuff though.
That makes sense too, but I feel like I already have it. >>

Quote:
I'm curious
How do you explain Red to a blind man?

I nature walk a lot. As in, not using "real" paths, but deertrails and such. Coming to points and streams more rarely visited by other people. (I know they're less used paths because of the surprising lack of liter. e_ e) Points that just call to me to follow. As I get closer, I can usually feel it, in my hands and feet and nose, until it's all over. Then I just watch, mostly, about what's going on around that scene and listen. It depends on how it moves me.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:23 am
Jezehbelle
Since I'm not just "Jess(ica)", so that's sortof why I went a bit further with my middle and last name. Jess or Jessica is how people usually see me, but the whole name and the whole picture is what or how I see myself. Jessica has multiple meanings, as either "Wealth" or "God sees" or "God's Gift". I've already said the various meanings for my last name. Michelle is the only name that has a clearer cut meaning, as "Who is Like God" in Hebrew from the name Michael, thusly why I brought it up.
(which is neat, because if you take one translation of my whole name and put it out of order, you get "Wealthy and Renowned Land, who is like God" which sortof makes me sound like heaven. surprised )

Lol that's pretty neat.

Jezehbelle

Rowland, however, is a view of family history. They could've given me any name they wanted to, but I would still be a Rowland girl. "Historically" my family has been rooted to the Earth, and has lived in the mountains or in the woods or at least around a heck of a lot of trees and hills, for the last 200 years, at least (as far back as we've gone through geneology research).

I didn't choose any bit of my name, or when I was born, I just was and the name was up to my parents, so I can't say or think of why it should be limited to my first name or birthday. [: The whole thing is a part of who I am.
... -endramble-

Yea, it doesn't have to be limited to astrology and first names. I personally think a lot of things effect our lives and the way we are and what we're inclined to. Recently I've been reading on Paganism, elements & elementals, nature spirits and astrology though. Strictly according to these basic guidelines and western astrology, what I said would be true. But that's not the only means of determining or learning things about oneself. smile

Jezehbelle
That makes sense too, but I feel like I already have it. >>

Well that was just one idea, just trying to make sense of the situation according to what I've read.

Jezehbelle
Quote:
I'm curious
How do you explain Red to a blind man?

I nature walk a lot. As in, not using "real" paths, but deertrails and such. Coming to points and streams more rarely visited by other people. (I know they're less used paths because of the surprising lack of liter. e_ e) Points that just call to me to follow. As I get closer, I can usually feel it, in my hands and feet and nose, until it's all over. Then I just watch, mostly, about what's going on around that scene and listen. It depends on how it moves me.

Oh ok, well I wondered. Luckily I know of some natural areas around here as well.

Rioto_Kish
This is really interesting, but I'm a little confused. I'm a Scorpian, so that means that my element is Water, but in the Chinese Zodiac, I'm an Earth Snake, and with the first name system, the strongest element for me would be Fire (i) and then Ether (a.)

I don't really understand this system and how this works...sorry.

I'm still learning about it myself. I suppose it depends which area of astrology you would want to go with; western or eastern. Strictly trusting these methods and western astrology you would be mostly attuned to the Water and Fire elements/elementals and may have an easier time connecting with them.  

Aiste Spirit

AFK Masturbating

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:29 am
I think that by birthdate, I'd be Earth. ( May 1st ) And, as someone else had said, I too have brown hair and green eyes. ^^;;

However, I tend to be creative, and a bit of a daydreamer, thus Air seems more suited to my personality. ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:17 pm
Curious system. I've always been a bit weary of ascribing things based on elements outside of one's control, however (such as birth-dates or given-names). There is some use in pondering them, but if one studies in detail the elements, one's patterns become clearly evident regardless of sun signs and names.

For me, though, the elements I align with most ALSO line up with both the birth-date system and the given-name system. Does that mean the system is accurate? Perhaps, perhaps not. My chosen element has ever been lightning which is an airy fire, though perhaps more precisely ascribed as a 'divine fire.' The system (Greek) saw fire in a couple ways: the inner fire of the Earth and the outer fires of the celestial spheres (stars, sun) of which lightning would more closely be classified under. What does that mean? I do not know.

Anyway, a very full understanding of elemental systems adds a lot to a Nature-centered path. Fuller understanding takes much work, though, as most of the charts and essays you'll run into are superficial and rarely or do not cite sources at all. It's a specific focus of my path, so I guess I don't mind the work of researching it from its beginings in Greek philosophy. sweatdrop  

Starlock
Crew

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:25 pm
I think I have this book.... Ted Andrews' "Enchantments of the Faerie Realm", unless I'm mistaken?

Zodiac wise, I'm a water sign; the Chinese symbol for water and the Greek symbol for Scorpio were the first tattoo I ever got as a sort of affirmation, and it fits; I'm text book Scorpio almost to the bone. According to this system, I'm Air and double Ether (my first name being Vanessa). Not sure that fits quite so well, but it was neat to try.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:55 pm
honeslty, i dont think the element of you zodiac sign means much. Its all about the individual. Yes, the signs help with all friendships and relationships i noticed, but it doesnt always work out that way. Im a fire type according to my sign, but from what I notice in myself, i have a strong connection to earth, and I was even told I have the personality of a water elemental. It never really comes clear to me. If I were to pick, Im most likely to have a mix of earth and fire, since my birthdate lays so close between both signs of the Capricorn and Sagittarius. Even elemetals have a mix. An element doest always mean everything of who you are.  

Redwing~Shadow

PoeticVengeance

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:37 am
Jezehbelle

I wouldn't be able to say if I have a specific element as I haven't really explored it too much.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff