Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
washing silk

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:31 pm
some of you may have seen me rant about how I got this silk yarn and how its resycoled from other silk things yata yata...
so I need to wash it some how, and I was thinking that I would just let it soke in some worm water, but if there's any reason why I should not, I would like to know now rather than letter, so if any of you have anything to say about washing silk, PLEAS feel free to tell me. 3nodding
I REALLY need to wash it as it reacks of dust.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:03 am
Lee Kushrenada
some of you may have seen me rant about how I got this silk yarn and how its resycoled from other silk things yata yata...
so I need to wash it some how, and I was thinking that I would just let it soke in some worm water, but if there's any reason why I should not, I would like to know now rather than letter, so if any of you have anything to say about washing silk, PLEAS feel free to tell me. 3nodding
I REALLY need to wash it as it reacks of dust.

If I were you, I would knit whatever I'm going to make with the yarn and THEN wash it. This will make the fiber more stable and less of a mess to work with while knitting. All the instructions I found (thank you google) said to wash in cold water and dry flat. While it's drying, you can block it.  

Catcheen
Crew

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:19 pm
thank you. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:02 am
One thing to be wary of when washing silk- depending on a whole bunch of things, like the dye, the way it's spun, sun spot activity, silk can water spot like crazy, so washing it may change the color.  

Blue-eyes-green

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:33 am
Blue-eyes-green
One thing to be wary of when washing silk- depending on a whole bunch of things, like the dye, the way it's spun, sun spot activity, silk can water spot like crazy, so washing it may change the color.

Good point. This also reminded me that it will most likely grow a "halo" meaning that the itty bitty threads will stick out more prominently and create kind of a fuzzy effect. It won't be too noticable depending on how tightly or loosely your specific skein is spun.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:20 pm
Catcheen
Blue-eyes-green

Good point. This also reminded me that it will most likely grow a "halo" meaning that the itty bitty threads will stick out more prominently and create kind of a fuzzy effect. It won't be too noticable depending on how tightly or loosely your specific skein is spun.

yes this I have found out... its not that bad though and kind of add's to the effect.  

Lee Kushrenada

blubyrd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:18 am
For the most reliable info. on washing silk check this site... http://www.treenwaysilks.com/care_of_silk.html
Washing silk is safe if done properly and the silk is good quality, recycled silk is risky at best! Washing does remove a substance that causes silk to have it's stiffness, so expect it to soften even more over time. It will also shrink so is best to try a test sample and wash before making it into a project.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:22 am
Best thing to do is to make a gauge swatch with the yarn for whatever you are making and wash it according to the label (or what I usually do is use Ivory flakes in cold water) and see if the swatch does anything you don't like  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:38 am
I've got a great silk soap without enzymes (they'll eat the silk...) but with tons of yummy oils to keep it nice. It's locally produced in a small town in Sweden so it might be difficult to find anywhere else xp

Great for silk and wool since the oils make the wool less itchy.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:45 pm
One thing to be wary of with recycled silks is major color bleeding. I got a bunch of good recycled silks off ebay and made a scarf, I washed it until the water was clear and STILL had color come off on my towels!  

Zahra Ovaci

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff