Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Writing on the Wall

Back to Guilds

Are you literate? Do you write poetry, short stories, long stories, prose, roleplays. . . anything? Share your talent with the world! 

Tags: Writing, Poetry, Prose, Stories, RolePlay 

Reply The Writing on the Wall
what do you think of this?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elizabeth the first

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:14 am
I would like any tips (ANY) on the first chapter of my book.

Chapter One: the Abduction
I must have been about fourteen when I was abducted by “aliens”. They weren’t quite the little green men that are portrayed by the government and Hollywood. There quite a few different kinds.
It all started when I was jogging with my best friend, Tom. We had been friends since the sixth grade. We were in eighth grade when I got abducted. We dated on and of in seventh grade and eventually decided to just be friends. On this particular occasion, Tom and I had split up to see if one way was faster than the other through a park. I wasn’t jogging far from my house. This would be the day that changed everything.
As I jogged down a rocky hillside, I thought what it would be like if we ever found intelligent life outside of the solar system. I wondered if they would be anything like humans and how far along their technology would be. I sure hope there are other humans, I thought. Then maybe I could find a decent boyfriend.
A figure dressed in black appeared in front of me. I managed to stop myself before I fell, but the figure fell to the ground in a heap. Grabbing my wrist, he chanted quickly and before I knew it, we were surrounded by darkness. I considered trying to pull free and run, but I was uncertain of what was happening.
When the darkness lifted, we were on a dirt road with a solid wall of trees on one side and fields on the right. Farmers that were collecting the earlier crop glanced at us awkwardly and would occasionally stare. I guessed men dressed entirely in black leading a strange girl in a grey shirt from school and blue jeans was kinda odd.
“The main road, not bad,” said the man. In the distance was a castle that sat on a cliff. We set off in silence towards the castle at a steady pace. I was used to talking with whoever I was walking with, not being completely ignored, though I usually was in class by some of the other girls.
I was pretty sure at that point that this guy, whoever he was, was definitely a sexist. I wasn’t going to be the one to break the silence. Occasionally, someone would passed with a cart or on horse-back. Everyone would glance at us suspiciously, some almost fearfully, and dropped there gaze as they sped up a little. I would usually glare into the mans back, wishing he would just let me go.
After more than an hour of ignoring me, the man asked, “what’s your name?”
“Nadia,” I said, struggling to hide my impatience and anger. I was used to jogging in a cross-country race at school for this long. I was usually really high strung after this much time walking. Before I could say anything else, an arrow appeared in his head and he collapsed into the sand, dead.

After half an hour of waiting for Nadia to come, I finally jogged the path she would have taken. I kept calling out to her, without response. I was beginning to worry, Nadia never did this sort of stuff, at least not without telling someone. When I came to the steepest part of the park, I found a bracelet I had given to Nadia for her birthday the previous week. I looked around for any signs of Nadia and found none. It was then that I ran as fast as my feet would carry me to Nadia’s mom’s house.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:30 am
I'm sorry...but I couldn't get through the whole thing. I could hardly concentrate on the the story at all. The grammar really needs to be fixed up and you should actually separate the story into paragraphs. Also, it's moving really fast. You seem too eager to get to the plot line. Try slowing it down and adding more detail to draw the reader in to the plot line.

When you were talking about how they only broke up to see who's the fastest...that confused me. Then I realized that they were racing home and you lost me right there. It needs a lot of cleaning up and it's really short for a first chapter so try to add more and not get so excited to get your point on paper.

You've got the potential but it definately needs work. But, hey...nobody's perfect, right? Keep posting. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress in the future.

Pup in Fluff
Captain

Invisible Sex Symbol

8,475 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200

Elizabeth the first

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:58 pm
I've begun to improve it. Thanks, I don't know how I missed it.

Note From Pup: Please be sure you're literate. Use proper grammar, spelling, and capitalization. Thank you.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:58 pm
Yo Yo Yo. I count as nothing but, i think it needs to be longer. I also got way way confused. I Just didnt understand it.
man of mystery  

evans174

WildWildWindWhisperer
Vice Captain

Eloquent Autobiographer

6,425 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:36 am
Interesting first chapter. It has my attention.
Am looking forward to reading more.

Wondering if there is more to the settiing.
However that could easily be be my impatience.

Thank you, for the kindness of sharing!

Sincerely....
...................WildWildWindWhisperer wink

heart  
The Writing on the Wall

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out