Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Sims 2 Guild

Back to Guilds

Great place to share/show your creations and meet other TS2 fans! 

Tags: Sims2, Simulation, Maxis, Electronic Arts, Social Bunny 

Reply Main Forum
On Genders and Playing the Sims Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you male or female?
  Male
  Female
View Results

Lily Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:26 pm
In the gamer community, the Sims is regarded as a 'girly' game. As a girl gamer who can frag with the best of them, it's kind of offensive. I believe that the Sims is fun no matter what, and it's no big deal what gender you are.

Do you think the Sims is 'girly'? What gender are you?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:59 am
My dad was the one that got me hooked on the sims. So I HIGHLY disagree that it's JUST a 'girly' game. And I know a few guys they have the sims, and they like it.

I'ma girl.  

Sims2 Whore

ihatemybrothers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:19 pm
Actually I know about 20+ guys who play The Sims 2 or any other Sim game. They are really hooked, just like me. -Is a girl-  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:39 am
User Image
I only know one guy who plays the Sims (I got him hooked), the rest are out playing sport games for the Xbox 360. sweatdrop

So, I do view it as a girly game. Its like Barbie! Except your room is not going to get messy with Barbie doll accessories and not getting to step on those little doll high heel shoes which causes pain to my heel of my foot! stressed

And to any boys reading this and play the Sim, its not like Barbie.. its like a action figure... so much more manlier.

Shiver`

Frozen Sex Symbol

someboyishere2
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:38 pm
i am a boy and i like the sims 1 and 2 and i have a few friends that like it too so its not girly in any way  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:22 am
I unfortunately don't know many guys who play Sims, with the exception of my brother and my best friend's roommate. I am a female gamer in all senses of the term. My fiance and I had a date night the other night that consisted of renting Gears of War and playing for 5 hours together.
I don't consider it a 'girly' game, I consider it a unique game. One that doesn't fall into the typical mainstream categories of RPG, FPS, Racing, etc.
Since it's unique and doesn't involve incredible amounts of violence many people see it as a girly game, like DDR actually. It's sad.  

Raiva

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Falstead

4,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:37 am
Shiver`
So, I do view it as a girly game. Its like Barbie!

No...just...No....  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:50 pm
well i usually play as a girl smile then i play my sons life too smile

hehe

oh yeah i am also a girl  

setsuna_PT

Romantic Gaian

14,175 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Falstead

4,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:14 am
I know I already posted here, but my view is:

A true gamer should be willing to try any game.
I have tried some pretty terrible "manly" games... Resident Evil 4 comes to mind. Not a terrible game, just not for me.

I guess a "girly" game in a male perspective is just another way of saying a bad game...

So using this logic... RE4 is a girly game in my oppinion, as is all star wars games.

As for the Sims actually being engineered (spelling?) for women, creator Will Wright himself said that he grew up making models and enjoyed creating the models and decided to expand on this.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:09 pm
Hardly! The beauty of The Sims 2 lies in the fact that it's never the same gameplay. Macho guys can have a ladies man sim, buff him up, and make him beat the crap out of people. The girly girl can find true love and start a family. The gay community can legally get married and adopt. The fantasy-oriented players can be friends with vampires or date a werewolf.

There's something for everyone really. 3nodding  

Manic Algae

1,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Signature Look 250

Kukushka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am
I think that the only reason that more guys don't play it is because of the stereotype. They aren't supposed to like domestic stuff and they would probably get teased if they said they liked it. I think that a lot of them would probably enjoy playing Sims if they tried.

I think part of it has to do with gamer demographics as well. Most gamers are teens or in their early 20s. At that age, family is the last thing on the mind of most guys. It's just not relevent to that stage of their lives. Girls, on the other hand, are socialized pretty much from the begining to enjoy family stuff and to play house. So girls might be better able to relate to the game.

But I do think that it's different for older men, men who already have families. They would probably be able to connect with it better.

I don't think there's such thing as a "girly" or a "manly" game. I think those are just silly social constructs that people put up and I think it keeps people from enjoying things that aren't approved of for their gender. I play FPS games, I play RTS, I play MMOs, and I play Sims. I don't think it's "zomg girly."  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:22 pm
girls are most likely to play it both both do i know  

iloveshortgirls

Xeoh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:59 pm
Most guys I know are always like, "Well, what's the point in playing, it seems kind of dumb." I'm all like, NO GO AWAY. lol. But I do know a few guys who play it. It's mostly girls though (in my experience).  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:04 pm

I was just thinking about this today. (I am a female, FYI.) See, I love The Sims because I get to manage and manipulate nearly every itsy bitsy detail of my Sims' lives. Possessive, control-freakish, whatever you want to call it. That is why I enjoy playing. Since it is mostly girls that play, I figure it is because women are control freaks at heart! blaugh

Anavis

Briana-Babie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:35 am
I never really thought of the sims as girly, i know quite a lot of guys who actually play it! blaugh
~im a girl!

Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces