Welcome to Gaia! ::

The KoS Guild: The AMv capitol of the universe!

Back to Guilds

Reply The AMV Guild
Entering in cons?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Balcerzak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:02 pm
I've heard a lot of talk about people entering AMVs in contests at anime conventions and stuff to try and win prizes, but I was wondering what all is required for something like that. Does it depend on the particular convention for time limit, theme, spoilerage, etc? Can you enter a video in more than one convention, or is it more of a first-time premeir sort of thing? On the same vein of thought, should you enter it in a convention before uploading it to amv.org (or whatever website) and distributing it for viewing.
If anybody has answers, or would like to post questions of their own, this would be the place and time to do so. : razz  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:13 am
Balcerzak
I've heard a lot of talk about people entering AMVs in contests at anime conventions and stuff to try and win prizes, but I was wondering what all is required for something like that. Does it depend on the particular convention for time limit, theme, spoilerage, etc? Can you enter a video in more than one convention, or is it more of a first-time premeir sort of thing? On the same vein of thought, should you enter it in a convention before uploading it to amv.org (or whatever website) and distributing it for viewing.
It probably depends on the convention. I do believe they can be entered in different conventions becasue I have seen some AMVs that have awards from multiple contests. I don't think there would be a time limit, just not excessively long, theme depends on the contest, usually have multiple categories. Spoilerage would be a contest diffence again. You can, it wouldn't harm you in any way  

SC Seung Mina

Zahmira

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:13 pm
Most conventions have a website with all the contest rules posted on them. MOst conventions allow videos that were entered in other conventions and they also tend to have several different categories to enter in. You'd have to look into the rules of each individual convention.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:05 am
Ok, so as I thought most of the particular rules depend on the convention in question. Good to know, the only other question I'd have is if there's a site anyone knows offhand that lists conventions - or would I just be better off googling that.

Also nobody really answered the more important question (although probably because I didn't make it clear or stress it enough) of if you should enter it in the conventions before uploading it on the web or elsewise distributing it. I only ask because I'm paranoid about intellectual property type stuff, and while I know nobody will want to steal and take credit for my shitty video, I can't help but be afraid of pirate s. Some reassurances would probably go along way, cause I would like to keep the opportunity for contest entering around, but may not want to delay sharing the video soley for that reason.  

Balcerzak

Zahmira

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:28 pm
Balcerzak
Ok, so as I thought most of the particular rules depend on the convention in question. Good to know, the only other question I'd have is if there's a site anyone knows offhand that lists conventions - or would I just be better off googling that.

Also nobody really answered the more important question (although probably because I didn't make it clear or stress it enough) of if you should enter it in the conventions before uploading it on the web or elsewise distributing it. I only ask because I'm paranoid about intellectual property type stuff, and while I know nobody will want to steal and take credit for my shitty video, I can't help but be afraid of pirate s. Some reassurances would probably go along way, cause I would like to keep the opportunity for contest entering around, but may not want to delay sharing the video soley for that reason.

For lists of conventions: http://www.anime-cons.com/

For the second question. I personally don't upload it until after I've shown it in a competition, but I have not seen it written anywhere that you can't or shouldn't. Uploading it to AMV.org would be a good way to protect yourself 'cause you can point to it and say, "See? It was here first."

I wouldn't worry too much about someone stealing your video. I have seen it happen once, but it was very obvious and he got s**t on by the reviewers. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:32 pm
My Veritechs High video made it to the AMV Finals at Fanime Con.  

The Eternal

The AMV Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff