Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Pagens and the arts

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Redwing~Shadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:50 pm
Yeah, I know that being new here I never have posted anything yet, but I might as well give it a try. I remember reading in a neo-pagen book that i have about most pagens haveing a high companionship for arts. They have a more creative side that is. Such as when your building up you alter, pagens have an artistic side to making their alter as they wish it to be for their magick and worship. Arts play a key role as you can see. Now before I get argues, im not saying all pagens are artist. I just find it intresting that it would say that because I'm a pagen and express myself highly with my drawing and artwork, plus I know other wiccans and pagens that are friends with my mother who all have an artist family. Kinda weird. But like I say, it doesnt have to be true for everyone. Pagens can grow up to be in any field they want, like doctors or teachers. Now I don't know if u ppl think that is true or not. Are more pagens out their more likely to be artist?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:10 pm
Really, I can't say if pagans are more likely to be artists or not.

But all of the ones I know are, at the very least, very interested in the arts. o_O I know people who bartar and trade their art and wares at festivals between fellow artists and creators.  

Jezehbelle

Anabis

Monster Mage

21,250 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:41 am
I, personally, am quite the artist (Meaning I draw a LOT, not that I'm good at it or anything X3 I'm quite terrible, imo.) and my two closest friends who also happen to be on paths of their own are likewise creative like whoa - one with drawing, the other with woodwork, window decals, and other shop-type stuff.

I can see how that assumption can be made, though, considering the meaning you put behind the word 'art' - for example, the 'art' of medicine, the 'art' of teaching, it really depends on what one considers 'art' personally along with the masses. 'art' to the masses will always be painting and statues, but it could also mean 'music' or 'dance' (I do consider Music and Dance an artform) as well.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:38 am
Erm, well, I was an art major in college so that should tell you something. I don't practice my art as much as I used to, unfortunately. When making things for my altar though I prefer to make it or personalize it somehow whenever possible. I've done arts and crafts since I was very young though and just never dropped the habit. The act of creating something is extremely magical and powerful.  

Starlock
Crew

Redwing~Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:28 pm
I personaly think that drawing has a powerful connection to me. I wasnt sure thought if I could say it played a key role in anything. But one way or another I see it as a creative magick of my own. Quit intresting that there are quit a few who agree and also see such arts as a connection.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:40 pm
Well I don't know if that's true. I just know that anything art-related, I have a natural knack for (not to be boasting, though I am quite egotistical XP ). I've taught myself everything. I applied for an art scholarship last year and I was supposed to have ten pieces in a porfolio. I didn't have time to make new art considering I had a hectic year, so I threw in 2 new pieces along with 8 from my freshman year. I got $18,000. If I wasn't being shipped into the air force right before the scholarship deadline this year I would reapply for it with all new work to see if I would get anywhere close to a fullride. But alas...
Okay, I'm sorry about my self-appraisal. I was just trying to give you an idea and I got into it. sweatdrop  

Seira Relur

Seira Relur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:42 pm
Oh! There is one thing I can't do... pottery. I'm horrible at it. And when I say horrible I mean "wow... someone let that pile of cat-vomit dry up like that... ewww".  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:44 am
Art has a broader sense than drawing, paitning, sculpting, etc. Dance is an art. So is writing or carpentry or music. I draw decently, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm good; just decent. But I write like crazy, and I do awesome wood working. I so do a lot of bead work, but I think that's beyond the original scope of the question.

I agree that NeoPagans have a bit more of a dencency to be artsy, on the whole. We're... more open mentally to the subjective and to subtle influences from the subconscious and to creative forces. We also tend to be a bit on the eccentric side, and have no fear of expressing ourselves; we just find different outlets for that self-expression.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Redwing~Shadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:30 pm
I see dancing and such as an art. It plays in role. Such as ritual dances and what not. Think of the illistrations put into tarot cards. Neo pagens have a high feel for expresion, I agree. Im not saying they develop and artist as a carrer though. I just see us as very opend minded and using different arts to develop our expression.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:24 pm
I'd say I'm definitly artistic. I love to paint and to draw and to sculpt. I play two instruments (Clarinet and Bass Clarinet) quite well even though I don't practice. It just comes natural.

I don't get many experiences from 'other worldly' (for lack of a better term) creatures, but one night I did. Female dragon, blue. she came in such force and afterwards I had to get her out of me so I drew her as I felt her in me, and it come out quite well. So that was a great medium for me to express it in. The feeling of her is really shown in the picture.

My art and that one picture arn't breathtaking, but they arn't bad.

Creepy Albino Fish

iolitefire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:30 pm
Most of the pagans I know (even the ones who are physics majors) are somewhat creative. They may be crafty or simply imaginative. I'm more creative than anything. I do some doddling and such but mostly I'm into writing. I write lyrics, stories, scripts, etc.
I love creating characters, storylines, settings, etc. That's where my imaginative side comes in.
I think that pagans are big into the artsy stuff because for one thing, most pagans are women and women tend to be more into intuition and self reflection, etc. Paganism stresses intuiton and self expression to beat the band, so its only natural that people engage in creative practices.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:47 am
I'm artistic. Alot. I love to draw, dance, act, sing, and write. It's a very big part of my life.  

deathcomes_onsilentwings

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:41 pm
I find it to be incredibly true in my case.
Not only do I draw, but I sing, I write stories, I'm slowly learning guitar, I want to learn drum, I write poetry, I write lyrics, I draw clothing designs, I do amateur architecture, I do pixel art, I can create websites with my own coding, I can act, and I roleplay.
All of that could be considered art in some way. Even my penchant for sparring with my brother could be considered art. We use wooden swords, and our fists. We don't hurt each other, we practice, and its kind of like a dance.
So you see, some Pagan's are artists, they are imaginitive, they are truly creative.
And of course, you would have to have a bit of imagination to believe in magic, and spirits, and Gods, and that kind of thing.

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games