Reply Naruto Guild
Length of the Naruto manga Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Poll?
  Yes, poll.
  I can't believe Naruto is nearly done!!1!
View Results

mofoslotmachine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:51 am
I wasn't 100% sure where this topic should go, so I thought I'd just dump it here.

Anyway, Jump Festa 06 happened recently and there was a joint interview with Kishimoto and Echiro Oda (the mangaka of One Piece); most of the interview was about One Piece and people asking the writers questions, blah blah. But later on in the interview, Kishimoto made a remark about One Piece going on for another twenty years, and somebody asked him about the length of Naruto. His response was that Naruto is nearly finished -- I think he said 3/4 done.

So I was wondering: what do you think? Is this happy news for you, or sad news? How do you think this will affect the storyline -- will it be rushed, will loose ends be left untied, etc.

(In case anybody wants a link, information about the interview is posted here: http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?t=164271 )  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:55 am
I was actually relieved to hear it. If you consider how long it's been so far, there'll still be alot of chapters whatev.

Before, I was kind of worried that after Akatsuki/Orochimaru, random Dragonball Z characters would start showing up. So um yeah, it's good. It's all good.  

Captain Verd

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:57 am
Yes. It is believed it will end around 450-500.

I'm not shocked or anything. A lot happened in even just the first 100 chapters. Besides, Kishimoto probably doesn't plan to be the slave of his own manga for the rest of his life. He also doesn't want to die before it ends.

It's not happy or sad news. It's still going to be several years, I believe, and the anime will still be catching up. It will be a legacy to look back on.

It's not going to affect or change the storyline. It's been this way all along. He isn't going to cut it short. He said similar things at the beginning of the manga.

As for people complaining that it's rushed, I think it's bullshit. It's pretty much been confirmed that they simply don't like his art style.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:59 am
Rushed in the sense that the baddies will just get hunted down and murdered in like ten chapters, not rushed as in the art will start being stick figures.  

Captain Verd

mofoslotmachine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:00 am
Captain Verd
I was actually relieved to hear it. If you consider how long it's been so far, there'll still be alot of chapters whatev.

Before, I was kind of worried that after Akatsuki/Orochimaru, random Dragonball Z characters would start showing up. So um yeah, it's good. It's all good.

I agree with you. It means that there won't be arc after arc added on, and that it probably won't start to feel stagnant; I won't be thinking, "God, just effing end already."

Plus, this probably means that Akatsuki won't take a billion years to kill like a lot of Akatsuki fans seem to think. Maybe it's just me, but when generic stock villains are added to the storyline, I get impatient for them to hurry up and bite it, not anxious for them to stick around. I even say this as a villain fan, so whatev.

I'm happy about it because it made me excited for the end of the manga. biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:01 am
Shikalee
As for people complaining that it's rushed, I think it's bullshit. It's pretty much been confirmed that they simply don't like his art style.

No, that hasn't been confirmed at all.  

mofoslotmachine

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:04 am
Captain Verd
Rushed in the sense that the baddies will just get hunted down and murdered in like ten chapters, not rushed as in the art will start being stick figures.
This is a new arguement. No one presented that previously.

As for that, then, Hidan and Kakuzu have been alive for over 20 chapters, and we don't know that they're going to die. Sasori's fight was well over 9 chapters. How long do you expect fights to be?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:05 am
Shikalee
Captain Verd

As for that, then, Hidan and Kakuzu have been alive for over 20 chapters, and we don't know that they're going to die. Sasori's fight was well over 9 chapters. How long do you expect fights to be?

Of course it's a new argument, since this is a new topic and all.  

mofoslotmachine

Captain Verd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:06 am
mofoslotmachine
Plus, this probably means that Akatsuki won't take a billion years to kill like a lot of Akatsuki fans seem to think. Maybe it's just me, but when generic stock villains are added to the storyline, I get impatient for them to hurry up and bite it, not anxious for them to stick around. I even say this as a villain fan, so whatev.

I'm happy about it because it made me excited for the end of the manga. biggrin

I liked reading fights like Zabuza, and Gaara, and all that good stuff. But yeah, since all the Akatsuki members are like LOOK I'M A MURDEROUS FREAK I'm really kind of impatient for them to either die or do something Leader couldn't do by himself.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:06 am
mofoslotmachine
Shikalee

Geez, you guys just love being dense.

THIS discussion, everyone was bitching about the art, NOT the plot.
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=5036&page=1486
If it was the PLOT they were concerned with, that would have been the first thing they encountered as an error. Sounds like people just like bitching and being unsatisfied.  

Syndactyly

mofoslotmachine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:08 am
Shikalee
mofoslotmachine
Shikalee

If it was the PLOT they were concerned with, that would have been the first thing they encountered as an error. Sounds like people just like bitching and being unsatisfied.

It says Naruto looks rushed. This discussion is about plot and pacing.

How the hell does that work? They were just complaining about what they felt like at the time. There isn't some kind of priority system.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:09 am
mofoslotmachine
Shikalee
Captain Verd

Yes, I was simply clarifying. It's not your need to attempt to prove me wrong when I just said so myself.  

Syndactyly

mofoslotmachine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:11 am
Shikalee
mofoslotmachine
Shikalee
Captain Verd

Yes, I was simply clarifying. It's not your need to attempt to prove me wrong when I just said so myself.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I'm just feeling irritable about this because I can already see this topic devolving into more pointless nitpicking when I actually was looking for some decent discussion.

But please, continue on.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:13 am
mofoslotmachine
Shikalee
mofoslotmachine
Shikalee

It says Naruto looks rushed. This discussion is about plot and pacing.

How the hell does that work? They were just complaining about what they felt like at the time. There isn't some kind of priority system.
If by pacing you mean rushing, his plot isn't going to change at all. Don't any of you know two-cents about writing a manga?
STEP ONE: PLOT.
You write the overall plot of the story before you do ANYTHING else. The main character isn't usually designed as much as he sort of comes into play. Kishimoto wrote a short flick about just Naruto before the manga became "Naruto." This one chapter story was his character design.
Any smart mangaka writes the plot first. It's not like Kishimoto is making it up as he's going along, or squishing things into a specific number. I'm sure if he has to make it 501 chapters he would, so that it would fit properly. As any mangaka's estimates, they're quite ROUGH and have the constant variable of change.

Sure there is. If the plot was initially bothering them, they would have initially discussed it.  

Syndactyly

Captain Verd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:14 am
Actually, I changed my mind. I hope purple lady and friends get wiped out really quickly so we don't have to suffer through them. The only ones I'm curious about are Kisame vs hopefully Gai, and Zetsu. I can see Itachi's fight involving alot of genjutsu and not being interesting, so hopefully it won't go that route.  
Naruto Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff