Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Another blow against spelling.... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:40 pm
I'm sure that a few people have heard of the movie "The Pursuit of Happiness."

How many of you knew that they actually spelled it out "happyness", as opposed to the correct spelling "happiness?"

Why?! gonk

Edit: Here's an explanation.

Ezra Pound

There's a scene in the movie about it.

Copipe from Wikipedia. Slight spoilers, so don't read if you don't want to:
Quote:
The word "Happyness" in the title has been taken from the misspelling of "Fun Joy Happyness" on a mural children have painted on the Chinatown daycare center where Chris Gardner takes his son, Christopher. When Chris points out the mistake, Mrs. Chu replies that it is not important to the pre-schoolers how to spell "happiness," only that they have happiness. This leads Chris to contemplate the inclusion of the concept of the individual's right to "the pursuit of happiness" in the Declaration of Independence, and how to pursue a happier, more emotionally secure childhood for his son.

Incidentally, that pretty much coincides with my own philosophy.

Alrighty then, let's change the thread slightly: this isn't the first movie to deliberately mispell things, even with a purpose. Just how much of todays illiteracy do you think is caused by punnery or changing words to be "cooler" via the media and commercial industries? If you think about it, look around at the packaging/labelling of products in stores; there's almost always a word mispelled to be snazzy or cool in it.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:39 pm
[x]
You're kidding me! Oh good grief, that's horrible. I really wish these big wigs would quit thinking misspelling something makes it cute. I'm tempted to show them that intentionally spelling something wrong is about as attractive as a stab wound to the jaw, if you get my drift.

I don't think I'll go see that movie anyways. I just know if I do I'll be sitting in the theater thinking to myself: "What the hell does Will Smith and his son know about being poor anyways?"

~
Pyrite
[x]

[ Pyrite ]

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:18 pm
Never heard of the movie, but changing "happiness" into "happyness" is degradation of English.

Maybe it's to appease the crowd of illiterate morons.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:43 pm
Lol @ Everyone being a bunch of cynical bastards.

I'm so proud.

The "Happyness"... See the movie and you'd understand.

@ [Pyrite]: So ******** what? They're actors. They ACT.

And the movie is very emotional.  

The Man who was Thursday

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:34 am
This is why I don't go to movies anymore.

This is a properly formatted sentence. The first letter of a sentence is ALWAYS capitalized. A sentence always ends in a punctuation mark, usually a period, but sometimes a question mark or exclamation point. Punctuation such as the comma, the colon and the semicolon are used as sentence pausers. Never should a sentence end with one of these.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:38 am
Now, if it was just some normal typo on the internet, it wouldn't be so bad, since it's readable. But they really should get some freakin' proofreaders or something for a movie. If it goes out on a national scale, it should be proofread, grammatically correct (except for dialogue), and things should generally be spelled correctly.

*head explodes*  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:40 am
... did anybody even bother to read what I said?

It makes sense. Watch the bloody movie.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:00 pm
The misspelling would be intentional.

Is it some kind of allegory about the main character or his/her circumstances? I could maybe understand if that were the case, but still...

This is a properly formatted sentence. The first letter of a sentence is ALWAYS capitalized. A sentence always ends in a punctuation mark, usually a period, but sometimes a question mark or exclamation point. Punctuation such as the comma, the colon and the semicolon are used as sentence pausers. Never should a sentence end with one of these.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:56 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
The misspelling would be intentional.

Is it some kind of allegory about the main character or his/her circumstances? I could maybe understand if that were the case, but still...

There's a scene in the movie about it.

Copipe from Wikipedia. Slight spoilers, so don't read if you don't want to:
Quote:
The word "Happyness" in the title has been taken from the misspelling of "Fun Joy Happyness" on a mural children have painted on the Chinatown daycare center where Chris Gardner takes his son, Christopher. When Chris points out the mistake, Mrs. Chu replies that it is not important to the pre-schoolers how to spell "happiness," only that they have happiness. This leads Chris to contemplate the inclusion of the concept of the individual's right to "the pursuit of happiness" in the Declaration of Independence, and how to pursue a happier, more emotionally secure childhood for his son.

Incidentally, that pretty much coincides with my own philosophy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:05 am
At least there is an explanation. I still don't agree with the implied philosophy of "Oh, if they're happy, they don't need to be literate!"

On a related note, the name is Santa Claus! No 'e' on the end! That was a pun in a different movie, that people took to be the actual spelling! gonk  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:36 am
DarkElf27
At least there is an explanation. I still don't agree with the implied philosophy of "Oh, if they're happy, they don't need to be literate!"

On a related note, the name is Santa Claus! No 'e' on the end! That was a pun in a different movie, that people took to be the actual spelling! gonk

Taking a quote from myself, in the thread linked in my signature.

Literacy is utterly meaningless. Value should be found in the meaning, not the presentation. If, in a debate, you attack someone's writing rather than their message, you have lost.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:46 pm
♥Who really cares? Sure, it's an insult to the English language, but we're all (well, most of us) human.

We make mistakes.♥

Firon Destind

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:30 pm
Honestly, I'm just laughing because it sounds like it's turning into a Chinese philosophy. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:29 am
OK, now that there's an explination, it isn't quite so bad. But the people with arguments about punnery and such have a viewpoint that more coincides with my own, even though I think it should be forgiven if it's explained in the movie (but please, don't misspell the title. That's just asking for it).  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:36 pm
Firon Destind
♥Who really cares? Sure, it's an insult to the English language, but we're all (well, most of us) human.

We make mistakes.♥

But it's not a mistake.

You all must have a RIDICULOUSLY low opinion of society if you think such a mistake would get by unnoticed.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff