Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Google in the dictionary

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IEditYourWorld

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:14 pm
Hi all.

Food for thought, but do you think that the word "Google" will ever make it into the dictionary? The phrase "Google it" has become quite popular, but then again so have several other phrases.

What do you think?
IEditYourWorld  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:39 am
I think it might be, in time. Every year, new words are added to the dictionary and many of them are related to the technology of the age. Vocabulary changes over time. In a living language (like English), words are constantly being formed or changed and those changes eventually make it into a dictionary. Yes, I do think "google" as both a noun and a verb has a chance to get into the dictionary. It is just a question of when.  

snitchseeker5000

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:03 am
According to this site, "google" was added to the Oxford Dictionary as a noun and verb. Hence, you may now say you "google" things without guilt.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:36 am
[Google]
A six letter word that means 'search it', 'find out', 'kill it', or 'rape it'

I think that pretty much would sum up the reason for adding it to the dictionary.  

Madryan

Pink Rain Today

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:38 pm
I'm anticipating the addition of other websites to become part of said dictionary. I mean really, "PM"s?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:16 pm
I don't think PM's will make it into the dictionary, but it is pretty neat that google is in the dictionary. Although... I think that Googolplex, the word that spawned Google's name, is already in the dictionary.  

Angel80272

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:36 pm
tiger80272
I don't think PM's will make it into the dictionary, but it is pretty neat that google is in the dictionary. Although... I think that Googolplex, the word that spawned Google's name, is already in the dictionary.

If I'm not mistaken, Google was based on googol, as was googolplex. Googol and googolplex are numbers, anyways, so why wouldn't they be in the dictionary?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:38 am
You're not mistaken at all, Ezra.  

Cohedros

Buccellatte

Sparkly Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:40 am
Now the line between real life and the Internet is blurred even further.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games