Reply ~ Main Forum ~
There's hypocrisy inherent in the system. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-Isel-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:07 pm
Well, I can say that after spending enough time studying this guild's general populus, that I have a great problem with some attitudes I've seen.

"I'd rather be this way than acting like a prep"

"Wannabe gangstas"

"Hicks"

"Punk rocker"

"Emo"

And the killer line: "I don't like labels"

Furthermore: "They stare at me"

"My family doesn't like it"

Frankly, I'm sick of hearing a lot of it. Before you tell me "If you don't like it then leave", I'd like to say that there's certain people here who I like and would prefer staying in this guild just for the sake of their being here.

What is so wrong with acting like a prep, or being a gangster, wannabe or not? Is there a problem with being a hick? Is there a problem with acting like the "emo kids"?

You realize that the judgmental attitudes that you bear against those people are the same judgmental attitudes that you try to resist and hate when they're used against you? Try to practice what you preach.

If you're against labels, why are you in a goth guild?

If you don't like how people are against your lifestyle of being a so-called "goth", either quit living the alternative lifestyle or grow a thick skin and shut up. When you confirmed that you yourself were a goth, you automatically accepted the fact that you were gonna get heckled for it and treated differently. Deal with it.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, it's just to make people think. If you find that you're generating hypocrisy or anything else covered in the above, fix yourself, or at least think about it. Hell, if you want, I'd enjoy it if I got some answers to some of the questions I asked.

Thank you, that is all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:19 pm
I for one never confirmed that I was a Goth. I joined because I can relate to Goths, and dress similarly to them, and sometimes feel the same. I'm just not sure I would consider myself one, as I don't wear make up, and I wear colors that aren't black sometimes.

Still, I agree with what you're saying. Nothing wrong with emos, or preps, or skaters I guess. The preps just piss me off sometimes, but still, they have the right to be prep if the people here can be Goth.

As for my view on labels, it goes like this...

Telling someone they're like a Goth is not bad. Making fun of them for it, or acting differently towards them is. Calling yourself one is not bad. Going out of your way to be one, and only buying what you think is "Goth" is bad. In my opinion that is.

Thanks,
-CrimsonThanatos  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:39 pm
/applauds

Well said, well said.

I have been thinking the exact same thing for some time now and never posted about it due to a lack of proper wording.

I do agree wholeheartedly.

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:46 pm
To elaborate by giving examples... I once saw this profile of a kid claiming to be "Goth", and as I read further he was a moron. Towards the end he typed, "Just whatever you do, DON'T CALL ME A CHAV! I'm not a freaking CHAV! I hate all Chavs! Stupid Chavs!"

I thought that was unnecessary and stupid.  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

-Isel-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:49 pm
MortSanglant
/applauds

Well said, well said.

I have been thinking the exact same thing for some time now and never posted about it due to a lack of proper wording.

I do agree wholeheartedly.

User Image

I've been struggling for good words and just decided to let it out. Apparently it worked.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:05 pm
Isel
Well, I can say that after spending enough time studying this guild's general populus, that I have a great problem with some attitudes I've seen.

"I'd rather be this way than acting like a prep"

"Wannabe gangstas"

"Hicks"

"Punk rocker"

"Emo"

And the killer line: "I don't like labels"

Furthermore: "They stare at me"

"My family doesn't like it"

Frankly, I'm sick of hearing a lot of it. Before you tell me "If you don't like it then leave", I'd like to say that there's certain people here who I like and would prefer staying in this guild just for the sake of their being here.

What is so wrong with acting like a prep, or being a gangster, wannabe or not? Is there a problem with being a hick? Is there a problem with acting like the "emo kids"?

You realize that the judgmental attitudes that you bear against those people are the same judgmental attitudes that you try to resist and hate when they're used against you? Try to practice what you preach.

If you don't like how people are against your lifestyle of being a so-called "goth", either quit living the alternative lifestyle or grow a thick skin and shut up. When you confirmed that you yourself were a goth, you automatically accepted the fact that you were gonna get heckled for it and treated differently. Deal with it.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, it's just to make people think. If you find that you're generating hypocrisy or anything else covered in the above, fix yourself, or at least think about it. Hell, if you want, I'd enjoy it if I got some answers to some of the questions I asked.

Thank you, that is all.

I agree as well you are 100% right.... exclaim  

Devils_lilboy

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:53 pm
"I hate the lables the skanky preps throw arround"
"Look at all those dumb blond whores. They're all the same. I can't stand how they judge us before getting to know us."

If there wasn't so much of it, it would be funny.
Some people don't understand it when you try to explain what they're doing.
At least if I find myself begining to think in a judgemental way, I try to take a moment and fix my reasoning.

I hear a lot of it from the kids who consider themselves goth at my school.
I heard. "I'm different and you can label me, but only the ignorant label. Ever go on vampire freaks? It's full of these really hot emos, but I hate being near emos in real life. Just like those preps. Ugh, I hate them almost as bad as posers."
Well, stupid here thought it was a joke and started laughing. When it was not understood why I was laughing I had to explain. They didn't get it, called me a poser, and left. It was humorous.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:54 pm
Isel

exclaim exclaim exclaim exclaim exclaim exclaim exclaim exclaim exclaim exclaim

THANK YOU!!!

For the record, I am a very judgemental person, and I do practice what I preach.

I do call people preps,or hicks, or thugs, or chavs, and I mean it. I call emo kids emo because they're overly emotional twats.

I'm a b***h. I'm a snarky, sarcastic, cynical b***h... who's sometimes a very-nice, empathetic, advice-giving guru. But, yet again, I AM judgmental.

I do use labels, and I have never denied it. Saying you don't like labels is the biggest crock of bullshit I have ever heard. If you don't like labels, then stop speaking, because words are labels, you morons.

... well, that's all I have to say at the moment. xd

2aetH

Dragonfire Goddess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:54 pm
I have to say that I am probably more judgemental than I should be. However I do not judge people on their looks, I judge on their personalities. I believe that I do practice what I preach because all that I ask is that people don't take one look at me and think they know me, which I don't do to other people. If they get to know me and honestly don't like my personality, fine. There have been plenty of people who have, and I'm sure plently more who will. Not everyone is going to like me, and I'm not going to like everyone, that's just the way it is.

As far as not liking 'labels' that's nearly impossible. Labels are the way the human race communicates with each other. Language is just a series of different labels. What I hate and am against is stereotypes. Saying someone is a goth and then assuming you know everything about them is like saying someone is American and then assuming that they're overwieght and eat at McDonalds every day. It just stupid and doesn't make sense.

And as for me being more judgemental than I should be, I have to say I hate 'sheeple' of all subcultures and walks of life. I just despise anyone who can't think for themselves.

So the bottom line is yes, I am a goth, I label myself as such and I am proud to be part of the subculture. But if you think you can tell everything about who I am from that, you're dead wrong. Just look at the wide variety of personalities we have in this guild! And it's the same thing for everyone else in the world, be they prep, goth, emo, nerd, whatever. Labels don't take away our personalities, they just make it easier to communicate with one another.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:38 pm
What bothers me Is when people try to be something they are not. It's not so much a hatred, but a pity. I know what it's like trying to disguise who you are to get a certain group of people to like you. It's a terrible way to live, and I don't like to see others going through that. I'm a goth because it suits me. If an emo is emo because it suits them, I'm ok with that. If they are emo becase all their friends "turned emo", it's a little disgusting and sad. And not in a condescending way, cause I was there once too.

I was once upon a time a popular kid, a prep, a girly girl. It was never me. I always felt out of place. Ever since I was a little girl. It wasn't until about a year and a half ago that I found enough courage to drop my facade.  

Alice_K8

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:13 pm
Isel

Wannabe gansters are pathetic people latching onto a group to be "cool." They act tough because they are too afraid to be themselves.

Hicks are ignorants fools. Bigoted idiots.

Emo kids are whiney and self-centered idiots demanding attention for the most trivial matters.

Yes there is a problem with being any of those.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:00 pm
Those are the steriotypical ones. <.<  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

-Isel-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:12 pm
zz1000zz
Isel

Wannabe gansters are pathetic people latching onto a group to be "cool." They act tough because they are too afraid to be themselves.

Hicks are ignorants fools. Bigoted idiots.

Emo kids are whiney and self-centered idiots demanding attention for the most trivial matters.

Yes there is a problem with being any of those.

So you're saying there's something wrong with choosing a path of life that a person feels comfortable with?

It does seem like you're throwing out generalizations left and right, regardless of the quality of the people I speak of. I could easily say there's something wrong with being a car salesman because car salesmen try to milk all the money they can get out of you- but that would be doing what you're doing, and casting an incorrectly-placed shadow over the entirety of car salesmen, despite the fact that I've met car salesmen who have great character.

So what if the wannabe gangster thinks it's cool to act tough? So what if the hick chooses to be close-minded? So what if the emo kid demands attention?

It's not bringing harm to anyone around them; the only reason you dislike these people is because you choose to. You let it bother you, and I can bet a fat kid's lunch money that somewhere in your subconscious, you made the decision to dislike these people because other people seem to dislike them too, and that little monkey in the back of your mind said you should voice this ill-influenced opinion.

Now tell me- had you not known the stereotypes of gansters, hicks, and emo kids, would you think there was something wrong with them inherently?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:12 pm
CrimsonThanatos

No. A hick is an ignorant fool. A bigoted idiot. That is the definition of a hick. The descriptions i gave are not stereotypes, they are definitions of labels.

(The emo one not so much.)  

zz1000zz
Crew

-Isel-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:21 pm
zz1000zz
CrimsonThanatos

No. A hick is an ignorant fool. A bigoted idiot. That is the definition of a hick. The descriptions i gave are not stereotypes, they are definitions of labels.

(The emo one not so much.)

"Hick (also country hick or country bumpkin) is a derogatory term for a person from a rural area."  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff