Reply ~ Main Forum ~
College . . . Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:08 pm
So I'm going through the college admissions process, and it's hell. So then this morning I was thinking about this guild, and I'm wondering who in here is in college, or soon will be in college? What colleges are good places for goths, and which colleges should goths avoid? I got into Northeastern, and the other college I'm considering is UMass Amherst. I hope either place will be a good place for someone like me. I just don't want to attend a college where everyone is goth, or individual/bohemian/alternative, i'd go nus without a status quo to disrupt, but I do hope to find other people like me to hang out with. At least at NU I'd be in the city and I could get involved with the goth/punk/alternative scene there, which is supposedly good.

So, who here is in college, or soon will be? Any college advice/ideas for goths to consider when looking into college, or attending it?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:49 pm
I'm going to college. smile

...In five years that is.  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:35 pm
Honestly, I would say that anywhere would bea good college for a "goth". It's more along the lines of how much things bother you, and if you are willing to open up to people.

You should really just focus on what classes you want to take, and ask around about which college is better.

I really don't know much about colleges...I'm just really lucky that the two I shall attend are within a 50 mile radius of me.

Since I'm going be taking Computer Systems/Networking/Operating System courses, I looked around for good colleges (local mainly) that are focused on those things. Turns out that Cisco is placed at WSU, and IBM is at Butler. So, I'll just go to Butler for my basics courses, Russian, and everything they can offer me. Then off to WSU for the Cisco courses and certification.

Yep yep yep.
Also, find out what you can gain as far as grants, loans, and FASFA.

Good luck to you!
I'll be starting this process next month >.>  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:08 pm
Macabre_Cogitation
Honestly, I would say that anywhere would bea good college for a "goth". It's more along the lines of how much things bother you, and if you are willing to open up to people.

You should really just focus on what classes you want to take, and ask around about which college is better.

I really don't know much about colleges...I'm just really lucky that the two I shall attend are within a 50 mile radius of me.

Since I'm going be taking Computer Systems/Networking/Operating System courses, I looked around for good colleges (local mainly) that are focused on those things. Turns out that Cisco is placed at WSU, and IBM is at Butler. So, I'll just go to Butler for my basics courses, Russian, and everything they can offer me. Then off to WSU for the Cisco courses and certification.

Yep yep yep.
Also, find out what you can gain as far as grants, loans, and FASFA.

Good luck to you!
I'll be starting this process next month >.>

Thanks for the advice. Luckily, my dad works at the college I already got into, so I can get free tuition there. And I'm eligible for a tuition waiver at UMass, yay! I made sure those two schools have good political science programs, and remember Micheal Dukakis (sp?), the guy who lost the presidential election to Bush Sr.? He's a professor at NU now, and that school also has a great co-op program. I'm not just looking for a good school for people like me, but I do want to go somewhere where I can be myself and be happy.  

Freedom Fire

Gothic_Lipstick_Kisses

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:26 pm
Freedom Fire
So I'm going through the college admissions process, and it's hell. So then this morning I was thinking about this guild, and I'm wondering who in here is in college, or soon will be in college? What colleges are good places for goths, and which colleges should goths avoid? I got into Northeastern, and the other college I'm considering is UMass Amherst. I hope either place will be a good place for someone like me. I just don't want to attend a college where everyone is goth, or individual/bohemian/alternative, i'd go nus without a status quo to disrupt, but I do hope to find other people like me to hang out with. At least at NU I'd be in the city and I could get involved with the goth/punk/alternative scene there, which is supposedly good.

So, who here is in college, or soon will be? Any college advice/ideas for goths to consider when looking into college, or attending it?

I go to northern essex community college in haverhill mass. I just ended my second semester and both times it's been a pain in the butt to register. They kept losing the papers that I gave them for my financial aid. All I can say is apply for financial aid because mine covers my tuition, $100 for each class for books and then whatever is left over I get myself. I usually don't get more than $100 but thats 100 more in my pocket. I would kill to go to school in new york but I don't think I'd survive it.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:30 pm
I plan on going to the university of Dalhousie in Halifax. I'm already accepted, only, I don't really have money.

...I'm sure it'll work out sweatdrop
Who needs money anyway...  

Alice_K8

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:38 pm
Dukakis? Really!
Wow, it would be nice to have a professor of that level.

Good luck on your college venture!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:16 pm
Darkness Is My Life's Blood

Nice

Light Is My Deaths Curse

Dante Omura

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:46 pm
I'm going to be off to college in about a year and a half, but I'm already getting pretty hyped up about it. biggrin

My grades are pretty good, so I shouldn't have much of a problem with that. However, I'm hoping to go to an art college, so I really have to get a portfolio together... I've had some art professors review my work, and they've said that with some slight work in certain areas, I shouldn't have much difficulty geting in.

Most of the schools I'm interested in are located in Boston (I find it quite ironic that several of you are going to school in Massachusetts). But anyways, I'm really interested in MassArt, The School of Fine Arts, or The Art Institute of Boston (not to be confused with the Ai Boston). My backup school is Salem State.

I live about 45 minutes west of Boston, and ever since I was a child I've absolutely adored the city. I'm really excited that I may get to live there by fall 2008.

As far as colleges go, don't look at how your social situation will be, but instead examine the schools academics.

However, you will have to make sure that it's in a 'liveable' area. For example, there are tons of great art schools in smaller cities and towns throughout New England, but I couldn't survive being away from a large city, so I'm mainly looking into art schools in Boston. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:08 pm
DreamerSpirit

However, you will have to make sure that it's in a 'liveable' area. For example, there are tons of great art schools in smaller cities and towns throughout New England, but I couldn't survive being away from a large city, so I'm mainly looking into art schools in Boston. 3nodding

I agree with you. I moved here from a town that had a huge college right in the middle and we were a small town but everything was open 24 hours and we had tons of shops and stuff. Try moving from that to a place like salisbury ma where just about everything closes at 9 or 10 and the college you go to is in the middle of bum-f***ked-egypt.  

Gothic_Lipstick_Kisses

2aetH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:55 am
I'm taking my classes online at a community college starting the 16th, so I have no clue. It's the least expensive route for me. mrgreen

And then, after I get my AA, I'm going to the University of Houston just a couple miles away. I have no clue how it'll be there, either.

The only thing I *do* know is that, apparently, taking 5 classes online is supposed to be hard for someone who's just starting out in college. According to the counselor chick, it requires a lot of self-motivation and assertiveness...

... so I'm wondering, why doesn't everyone else do it? Sounds easy enough to me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:06 am
My 0.02:

I think you should check out google for goth clubs/bars in each of the cities where your chosen universities are located. That may give you some idea of the size of the scene. Really, I think you will tend to make more friends at school through rez or class or whathaveyou, and that the gothy people will just be drawn together out of the woodwork. But, having a good club scene is a HUUUUUGE plus, in my mind, at least. It couldn't hurt to visit the cities themselves and see if they are to your liking. 3nodding

Good luck!!  

trampyre

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:14 am
DreamerSpirit
I'm going to be off to college in about a year and a half, but I'm already getting pretty hyped up about it. biggrin

My grades are pretty good, so I shouldn't have much of a problem with that. However, I'm hoping to go to an art college, so I really have to get a portfolio together... I've had some art professors review my work, and they've said that with some slight work in certain areas, I shouldn't have much difficulty geting in.

Most of the schools I'm interested in are located in Boston (I find it quite ironic that several of you are going to school in Massachusetts). But anyways, I'm really interested in MassArt, The School of Fine Arts, or The Art Institute of Boston (not to be confused with the Ai Boston). My backup school is Salem State.

I live about 45 minutes west of Boston, and ever since I was a child I've absolutely adored the city. I'm really excited that I may get to live there by fall 2008.

As far as colleges go, don't look at how your social situation will be, but instead examine the schools academics.

Oh cool! I live about half an hour south of Boston, and I might be going to school in Boston. But that's just because it's close, in a liberal state, and a good financial choice. I need the city, the suburbs are so lame!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:52 am
Personally, I find the idea of choosing a college with some modicum of respect to the level of status quo disruptability to be a little moronic.

The most important areas of concern when choosing a college are the following:

1. Does it have my major?
2. Is it affordable?
3. Do I like the atmosphere? Am I comfortable on campus?
4. Size.

Those were my main factors when deciding if I wanted to go there. Really, it wasn't too affordable. I'm on a stinkin' loan. But it was the best school for my major - seeing as not too many have my major. I chose a small Lutheran private college in a small town. I may complain about it a lot - not necessarily in the guild - but it's a good school. The Lutheran affiliation wasn't a go or no-go for me; that was neutral. But it's a small school - literally the size of my high school [about 1500 students total] with a comfortable atmosphere and a good program for my major.

There's no advice really for me to give because I didn't suffer and issues that were ever in need of advice. I guess one good piece is to shower at midnight or any time after. You'll be alone then. And please, wear flip flops in the shower. I've seen people actually go in there with nothing on their feet. It's so disgusting.

And college isn't all it's hyped up to be. Sure it's nice to be on your own and whatnot, but it's nothing spectacular. Unless you're an alcohol glutton - especially where I'm at [the funny thing is, it's a dry campus] - and then you'll probably be in some sort of heaven. Until you get an underage.

Ah, but I'm just rambling.

User Image

MortSanglant

nightwing773

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:56 am
well, if you go the Northwest University of Chicago, it has awesome classes, teachers and plenty of majors. Plus it's a little out of chicago, so you have more quiet than in the city, and you can always go there for fun. and there are lots of people to get along with. one of my best friends goes there, she's a japanese and culture of the world major, that's a good place to get a good degree and have fun, so it was my second collage of choice, so try there, it's a good place, and 98 percent of people who go there are in love with the place, lol.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff