Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply American Release Manga Dicussion - Buying your Naruto at your American bookstore? Come here!
Finally. Vol. 12 Review, bizzatches.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Volume 12?
  Good.
  Bad.
  Don't Care.
  Meh.
View Results

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:18 pm
Yup. Shikalee decided to do reviews on English VS Japanese.
However, I couldn't start this until 12. Hadn't thought of it until then and I just happen to have 12 in Japanese. Meaning, I have a vast area of comparison.

It took this long for me to do 12 because I couldn't read it until Christmas. D:

OVERALL: 8.5/10
Translation: 9/10
Censorship: A lot of it... Too much. D:<
Art: No changes that I can see.
Storyline: Is consistent with the original. :]

Below are more detailed ratings, which actually turned out to be rather elaborate rants.

Translation
Sound effects, as usual, are BAD. They change from "Whoosh" and "Smack" to, "Dash" and "Clobber." Really... really poor. However, MOST of the dialog is pretty accurate. Neji's story was explained accurately enough to keep the story sound. It was worded a little confusingly, though. People keep asking me if Neji's dad is still alive.
Also Naruto's big line that he repeats is pretty screwed up. "I guess I'm just a sore loser!" Also, "I vow to win!" These... these are not even close to the originals. I'll add them in later, since, I've left my Japanese copy... Just kidding. I found it.

EDIT: "I vow to win" Is actually pretty close. It just sounds lame in my opinion. xd

Here we go. Page 18.
English - "I guess I'm just a sore loser!"
Japanese - "Orewa akirame ga. Wariin dattebayo!!"

So let me try to work this out... Orewa... I am... akirame means along the lines of, "abandonment"... Wariin... Geez... Um. According to this translation... "tally impression." Yeah. I got lost. Well, according to a somewhat reliable source, they say,

"I'm not good at giving up!"

Since Japanese is a funny language, that makes sense. Abandonment. I'm not good at abandoning... things. Okay then. Way different. Being a sore loser does fall under having a hard time giving up, but "I refuse to lose" gives a different tone than, "I'm a sore loser." It makes him a loser instead of a winner...

It's small changes like that that irritate some of us.

Neji's attack... is now referred to as, "# Palms." I don't like that. It was just numbers before, and that sounded cooler...

The "Masked Anbu's" translations were perfect. He's the guy who was talking to Kiba when Hinata was ill... They played him out perfectly, and next volume you'll see why if you don't know already. The story of the Hyuuga clan was also translated excellently, though confusing in some parts.

Also, when Naruto starts getting upset with Neji after his story, this part may be a little different in the English version, but I really like how it came out. It just sounded good.

Now moving on to more specific... Thingies.

Censorship
Took all the cussing out. Neji calls Naruto an idiot, Naruto says "damn" probably about 6 times, and Shikamaru calls Naruto... What was it... yeah, he calls him a b*****d. In the English version, they rounded the edges and added some sprinkles. Neji sounds a lot nicer in the English version, Shikamaru sounds a lot more mundane (in the Japanese version he's just plain rude), and Naruto sounds more heroic. In the Japanese version, he's a really obnoxious kid.
Now I'm going to nitpick the cursing. xd Because I'm VERY bored today.

"Teme" is a vulgar way to say, "you." It's equivalent to calling someone an a*****e. Naruto likes this word, and says it a lot.
"Chikusou" means "damn it" but in the English he says, "darn it." A small change... but they made sure to remove the vulgarity.

A change on page 42 REALLY bugged me. Panel two Neji says, "He... No way." In Japanese it's, "That guy... is crazy." (Koitsu... bakana.)
That change REALLY changes how people see Neji's character. Drastically. Again on page 81. English Neji, "Impossible...!" Japanese Neji, "Absurd!"
Again with censorship, Shikamaru says, "Naruto that b*****d..." When Naruto pushes him off the ledge. It is changed to, "Naruto you jerk..." Which is a REASONABLE response for what Naruto did to him. The manga sugar coats Shikamaru and I don't like it! xd That's about it for censorship...

However, Temari seems A LOT nicer in the English version... I thought she was a total b***h when I read the Japanese... I'm not sure what changes they made for me to see her differently.

Art
I cannot find any art changes. I have an old volume 1 which was exact. I noticed that several months later, they starter publishing a version where almost all of the blood and cursing was removed. It appears as though they've stopped removing the blood. All middle fingers were removed, too. I was lucky enough to get my hands on one that had not yet been edited. But it's hardly a collector's item; it's all beaten up with love.

That's it for this volume... now for you. What'd you think about Vol 12?
(And yes, I'm not expecting any replies. This forum is SO dead. xd )  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:39 pm
Well, I read Naruto in Shonen Jump so... I don't quite know where volume 12 starts or ends, sorry.
Well, I consider Naruto to be a pretty more faithful translation than some... So it could be worse!  

Purple dragon lady

3,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:45 pm
Purple dragon lady
Well, I read Naruto in Shonen Jump so... I don't quite know where volume 12 starts or ends, sorry.
Well, I consider Naruto to be a pretty more faithful translation than some... So it could be worse!
Starts... 100, ends 108. I think.  
American Release Manga Dicussion - Buying your Naruto at your American bookstore? Come here!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games