Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
The Stupidity of Intelligent People...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wreaking havoc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:00 pm
I was on a Political summer school trip in our Nations capital. Surrounded by intelligent people my own age, and there was this guy who I talked to frequently.(His name will be concealed to protect his identity.) One day after working on my term paper I found out he was online, and I said Hello... To this day I don't talk to him online. He used so much "txt tlk" that I nearly gagged. Every other word was "lol". And nothing bothers me more than the word "lol".

I guess it just goes to show you that even the smart ones are corrupted by the language decimating society of today.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:41 pm
*shudders* It's never quite the same afterwards, is it? It's like walking in on your friend and a hooker. The turnout is never good, and all you can do is avoid this person like the plague.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Angel80272

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:34 pm
I really want to kill the person who came up with "lol" AND "Laughing out loud" because seriously, who SAYS stuff like that?

I have a friend somewhat similar to your friend... but he doesn't even bother waiting to get online to use TXT-TLK! He SAYS "lol".  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:02 pm
I know someone who's the same... he actually says, "ROFL" just to annoy me! He pronounces it "Roff-ull". *vomiting*  

Galadedrid Damodred

rae-chan-sensei

Lonely Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:55 am
MyOwnBestCritic
*shudders* It's never quite the same afterwards, is it? It's like walking in on your friend and a hooker. The turnout is never good, and all you can do is avoid this person like the plague.

I'm loving this analogy... 3nodding

And I know quite a few college grads that use txt tlk constantly. Pisses the s**t out of me like you wouldn't believe. Honestly, if you're interning in DC, don't you want people to think that you're smart? I wouldn't want people that could possibly give me a job someday to think of me as an eleven year old girl who says "lol" and "like omg" all of the time...  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:19 pm
I know. Well I'm not entirely sure about the friend with the hooker comment, because I have never experienced that, but it sounds accurate.

And who in their right mind would SPEAK in "txt tlk" I mean even when I AM text messaging I use proper english!  

wreaking havoc

Angel80272

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:15 pm
wreaking havoc
I know. Well I'm not entirely sure about the friend with the hooker comment, because I have never experienced that, but it sounds accurate.

And who in their right mind would SPEAK in "txt tlk" I mean even when I AM text messaging I use proper english!

Same here. I shudder at the thought of talking to one of my friends online (the same one that uses TXT-TLK offline) because every other line is either "lol" or missing the vowels.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:09 pm
*Shudder*

The only good "OMFG" is the hat.  

Leoshi

ChibbiChlessla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:34 pm
I occasionally use text speak in normal conversation, but usually, I'm making fun of someone.

Also, the 'OMFG' thong is quite hilarious.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:20 pm
I don't really mind 'lol' 'rofl' 'omg' in a chatroom setting. That is afterall, where that sort of that belongs.

I even had a dream the other night, where I was in an airplane, and there was a hole in the side, sucking everything out of the plane. I was strangely immune to the pull, so I stood in front of the hole, with chairs and people being sucked out around me, and I looked right above the hole. Somebody had graffitied the words 'LOL HOLE OMG' and I woke up the next morning laughing about it and I told my friends and they all laughed too.  

OishiiTsukemonoSensei

"TXT TLK" horror stories

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff