Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"He got plutoed!"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:30 am
Pluto's Demotion Tapped As 2006 Word of the Year

Quote:
ANAHEIM, California (AP) – Pluto is finally getting some respect – from wordsmiths.

“Plutoed'' was chosen 2006 Word of the Year by the American Dialect Society at its annual meeting on Friday.

To “pluto'' is “to demote or devalue someone or something'' much like what happened to the former planet last year when the General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union decided Pluto did not meet its definition of a planet.

“Our members believe the great emotional reaction of the public to the demotion of Pluto shows the importance of Pluto as a name,'' said society president Cleveland Evans. “We may no longer believe in the Roman god Pluto, but we still have a sense of personal connection with the former planet.''

“Plutoed'' won in a runoff against “climate canary,'' defined as “an organism or species whose poor health or declining numbers hint at a larger environmental catastrophe on the horizon.''

Other words in the running: murse (man's purse), flog (a fake blog that promotes products) and macaca (an American citizen treated as an alien).

Former Senator George Allen, a Republican who sought reelection last year, was comfortably ahead in polls until August, when he referred to the son of Indian immigrants as macaca, regarded by some as a racial slur. Allen lost to Democrat Jim Webb.

The 117-year-old organization includes linguists, grammarians, historians and independent scholars. In conducting the vote, members do so for fun and not in any official capacity of inducting words into the English language.

Last month, an online survey by dictionary publisher Merriam-Webster declared “truthiness'' the word of the year for 2006. “Truthiness'' was credited to television satirist Stephen Colbert, who defined it as “truth that comes from the gut, not books.''

So anything that gets demoted or displaced can now be said to be "plutoed". Cute, huh?

The one I dislike is "thruthiness". Isn't the correct word "truthfulness"? Why not just stick with that?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:57 am
Because they don't mean the same thing. Truthiness refers to something being presented as a fact because people want it to be. Big difference, there.  

Raspukittin

eluzabeth

Sugary Bear

29,475 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:43 am
:]
I saw something like that on Yahoo yesterday.
It made me a little sad. Poor Pluto...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:07 pm
Luz is a Dorkus
:]
It made me a little sad. Poor Pluto...

I was thinking the same thing.  

Aubrey Nicole

Gachetemas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:44 pm
That's ironic how people care more about Pluto and The Colbert Report than the pending environmental catastrophy. No, let's not talk seriously about polar bears and melting ice. Let's laugh Colbert's positive side of global warming including tans and lemonade.

I think Plutoed and truthiness are great words, but Mother Earth got the shaft in that election. That hurts.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:54 pm
Global warming doesn't even exist. D: Yeah, yeah. Ignore all the scientific evidence against it and believe something that the media has exploded beyond comprehension.

For example, you could fill a glass with water, to the brim. And then put in a few ice cubes.

The ice would melt. But would the cup overflow? NO. The earth is nearly the same way.

But I do agree with you, however. I think people are making too big of a deal out of it. Pluto was named by a child, after all. I don't think anyone ever really was interested in it in the first place. People are just sympathizing because it's what everyone else is doing.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Pandiecakes

Timid Healer

14,400 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Millionaire 200

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:24 pm
Pandiecakes
Global warming doesn't even exist. D: Yeah, yeah. Ignore all the scientific evidence against it and believe something that the media has exploded beyond comprehension.

For example, you could fill a glass with water, to the brim. And then put in a few ice cubes.

The ice would melt. But would the cup overflow? NO. The earth is nearly the same way.

But I do agree with you, however. I think people are making too big of a deal out of it. Pluto was named by a child, after all. I don't think anyone ever really was interested in it in the first place. People are just sympathizing because it's what everyone else is doing.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I have to argue that global warming IS happening. I live in Iowa. So far this winter, it has snowed once, and the average temperature has been forty degrees farenheit. We used to have non-stop snow and ten degrees farenheit. This has been slowly getting worse over the past ten years.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:16 pm
Technically, that doesn't exactly determine whether global warming is occuring.

That's one area, but I do have to admit that this winter is considerably warmer than the past cold seasons.

I'm not high-calibre with weather and meteorology, and I'm not the best with science so my word isn't as trustworthy as someone who actually knows a thing or two about what global warming is.  

limp dick

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:14 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Warming

Debate over.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items