Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Frequently misspelled words Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:35 pm
Definitely (defanetely, definately, definetly) grammar (grammer). What words do the people of this guild see frequently misspelled in online posts? List them here with their correct spelling on the outside and the misspellings in parentheses so we can help clear up the misspellings. If you are uncertain of the spelling, Dictionary.com is your friend.

Thanks to all who participate.

This is a properly formatted sentence. The first letter of a sentence is ALWAYS capitalized. A sentence always ends in a punctuation mark, usually a period, but sometimes a question mark or exclamation point. Punctuation such as the comma, the colon and the semicolon are used as sentence pausers. Never should a sentence end with one of these.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:03 pm
parentheses (parenthesis -- the singular form)  

The Man who was Thursday

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:25 pm
s**t... I'll fix it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:21 pm
Coincidental is often spelled very, very wrong. Not only do they spell it wrong, they spell it so that the pronounciation is entirely different. 'Coincidential' is one of the versions of spelling that angers me, because it's not even spelled phenetically.  

user_deleted_forever

Gachetemas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:38 pm
Embouchure

Print dictionaries are your friends, too.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:43 pm
Gachetemas
Embouchure

Print dictionaries are your friends, too.

Embouchure is like never used except in band geek threads.  

The Man who was Thursday

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:09 am
pronounciation pronunciation
phenetically phonetically

I've learned a new word today. Embouchure: 1. The mouth of a river. 2. The opening out of a valley into a plain. In music: 1. The mouthpiece of a wind instrument. 2. The adjustment of a player's mouth to such a mouthpiece.

Embouchure comes from the same root as the French "bouche" meaning "mouth".  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:41 am
Through is correct
Thru is wrong  

saotomi5102

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:43 am
saotomi5102
Through is correct
Thru is wrong

"...But you spell 'through' T-H-R-U, and I'm with you on that because we spell it 'thruff', and that's trying to cheat at Scrabble." - Eddie Izzard.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:11 pm
The word "until" is often misspelled as "untill."  

FWIW

Sexy Blue Candy

Chatty Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:34 pm
If through is spelled how to you spell though as in this sentance:Even though I get confused with words I try to spell them correctly,as best I can.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:56 pm
Convenience seems to be misspelled quite a bit. Other misspelled words are ones that have 'ing' at the end because many people forget to drop the 'e' before adding it. Ex: giveing (giving).
Many people also use words that aren't even real. It's all fun and games when it's a children's book, but in an essay, it just isn't right. For example, my teacher told me today how "She made a big fuss!" is not correct. She also gave examples of other made-up words, but they were so unfamiliar to me, I can't even remember them. sweatdrop

The One and Only Guardian

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:29 pm
Convenience seems to be misspelled quite a bit. Other misspelled words are ones that have 'ing' at the end because many people forget to drop the 'e' before adding it. Ex: giveing (giving).
Many people also use words that aren't even real. It's all fun and games when it's a children's book, but in an essay, it just isn't right. For example, my teacher told me today how "She made a big fuss!" is not correct. She also gave examples of other made-up words, but they were so unfamiliar to me, I can't even remember them. sweatdrop

Heh. Children's books.

Here's a passage from the first page of Finnegans Wake, a very-much-not-children's book by James Joyce.

Joyce
The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstrelsy. The great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan, erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoes: and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock out in the park where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since devlinsfirst loved livvy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:15 pm
Ezra Pound

Heh. Children's books.

Here's a passage from the first page of Finnegans Wake, a very-much-not-children's book by James Joyce.

Joyce
The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstrelsy. The great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan, erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoes: and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock out in the park where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since devlinsfirst loved livvy.

Bajeekers! O: Crazy... o.o;;  

PrincessPeachey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:51 am
Something I see quite frequently is 'alot' for 'a lot'. Even the proper version I don't like. Also, I don't like it when people write 'a emotion' instead of 'an emotion', and using 'etc' in an essay.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff