Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Funny Little Slips

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xAvenirYuinax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:06 pm
I'm not sure about other people, but I've made funny mistakes when speaking to other people, like when two or more thoughts merge or you switch the consonants of words.

One time I was talking with my sister about world domination. -snickers- And my mind at first thought second in command but right before I said such, I thought right hand man. So the end result was second-hand-man. Well, my sister had a laugh.

A more understandable oral error was when I said 'toin coss' instead of 'coin toss.' Because that memory is so engraved in my memory, I have to take a second to pause and remember which one is the right one...

So I was just wondering it any of you have uttered wierd little inanities. If not, well, glad to know something is not connected properly in that space between my ears.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:11 pm
Honestly, I can't remember.
Hah.
I would bet my life that I have made a little mistake while speaking to someone, though.

Oh, I remember one.
English being my second language, I say "open/close the TV/lights" rather than "turn off/on the TV/lights"

My parents have always said it so now I'm saying constantly, as well, and I'm always being corrected because of it.

limp dick

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:58 am
I believe the mistake with the switched consonants is called a "spoonerism". I've done it myself a few times, but can't remember a specific one.

I've also heard of people saying to close off a TV or the lights, which is probably a mix up with the word "shut".

wierd weird  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:26 am
I can't remember exactly how it came about, but my sister was driving me somewhere and the windows were all fogging up (Wintertime). She turned off the heat so they could unfog and I said something like "unwindow these fogs!"  

Malbeur

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:46 am
I do that all the time. My problem is that my brain works twice as fast as my mouth, so I have difficulty getting everything out in an intelligible manner. I'm amazed that I can sing at all.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:03 pm
On a whim. Google 'Freudian Slip' Interesting theory, that.

Or, just click here.  

Mundi Rosa

Archdemonessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:05 pm
I mixed the words 'sure' and 'yeah', so it ended up as 'sheah'. Other than that, I'm good.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:13 pm
That wasn't very nice! By reading your post I've started saying Toin Coss every time! Grrrrrr.

But mine would have to be mixing the first letters of two words up.

Example: Green Grass... (Not really) (Like "Toin Coss")  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items