Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Customizing toys?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Moondust28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:10 pm
Does anyone else do this as a hobby? I customize my little ponies and make them into something new.

Some examples of my work:
California Roll
Xena Warrior Princess
Dottie

I have some more in my deviant art account:
stormslegacy.deviantart.com

if anyone is interested in what I do. I'd love to see ones others have done!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:12 pm
my god that is soo many levels of awesome.

I haven't done anything recently but I did once do something with some barbie dolls for a barbie modification swap I did on craftster.org.
*searches for pics*

there we are
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=31759.0;all
scroll down to the alice in wonderland thing, the first pics posted.

sorry I don't have a pic of them outside the box, my camera was busted at the time, and you can ignore the penguin stuff floating around in the box, I just left them in the box incase she wanted to change them.
the white rabbit had little white pipecleaner ears, a pair of little white pants with a little white tail, and a vest with a fake pocketwatch.
alice just has a blue dress with white apron and a pet flamingo to play crocet with.  

I be me
Vice Captain

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:06 pm
I don't but I have a friend who does it and has a Gaia account, lemme see if I can pester her since she gets extremely excited about MLP's too.

As a second thought those are really disturbingly cool smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:29 pm
I be me
my god that is soo many levels of awesome.

I haven't done anything recently but I did once do something with some barbie dolls for a barbie modification swap I did on craftster.org.
*searches for pics*

there we are
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=31759.0;all
scroll down to the alice in wonderland thing, the first pics posted.

sorry I don't have a pic of them outside the box, my camera was busted at the time, and you can ignore the penguin stuff floating around in the box, I just left them in the box incase she wanted to change them.
the white rabbit had little white pipecleaner ears, a pair of little white pants with a little white tail, and a vest with a fake pocketwatch.
alice just has a blue dress with white apron and a pet flamingo to play crocet with.

That's really cute! I love themed customs. ^_^

Quote:

I don't but I have a friend who does it and has a Gaia account, lemme see if I can pester her since she gets extremely excited about MLP's too.

I might know her if she's on the MLP boards! My pony-board name is Moondust. I'm pretty quiet generally, but I customize a lot.  

Moondust28

peachkitten

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:20 pm
thats just awsome!

i wish i knew that before i moved out of my parents house, i was quite the avid barbie "collector" at age 7. now they are living in a box in a basement and their house and possesions have been sold in a yard sale. ( the dolls themselves were 80s and few 60s models so they didnt really sell). maybe i should try that. i feel so bad that they are unused and spending all those years in a box... cry  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:23 pm
its awsome that an old toy we loved can be recreated into a work of art. i'm so impressed! ! ! 3nodding  

peachkitten

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:38 pm
Moondust28
Does anyone else do this as a hobby? I customize my little ponies and make them into something new.

California Roll
Xena Warrior Princess
Dottie

Those ponies are gorgeous! I was interested in redoing fashion dolls for a while but could never find the time to finish one. I did do some work on a group doll that was given to a friend of the group. My contribution was a crocheted bathing suit and cover up, some of the more experienced members did the repainting and rerooting.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:30 pm
i LOVE the Xena one. mad D Fits how i remember her (i was little when that show was on).  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Moondust28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:12 pm
ForestGreen
Moondust28

California Roll
Xena Warrior Princess
Dottie

Those ponies are gorgeous! I was interested in redoing fashion dolls for a while but could never find the time to finish one. I did do some work on a group doll that was given to a friend of the group. My contribution was a crocheted bathing suit and cover up, some of the more experienced members did the repainting and rerooting.

Thank you for your compliments! I love fashion doll customs, but I'm just not into dolls like I am ponies. I'm one of those crazies I guess. I'm sure it looked pretty though, I love crocheted clothes for barbies. Rehairing can be easy with the right materials. It took me years of experimenting to find a good method. I really advise against the sewing thread method, which is often the first one most people learn. I use a wire method because it produces sturdy results in the least amount of time. For even quicker results you can use a thing called "the tool" which is available on ebay. It makes rehairing a breeze (at least on ponies) but with the problem of it being slightly less sturdy (at least, in my oppinion).

If anyone is interested in learning I can point you to some great tutorials. I'm also available for questions if people need.

I'm glad that customs make people smile, because that's why I do them. I enjoy making some interesting ones (I'm working on an adult themed one atm...) because they make people look twice. The best customizers out there are nachtlit, Woosie and Akarin. I'll search out the links and post them for people that want to see more, because their stuff is amazing.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:17 pm
how do you rehair them?

you have me interested now.  

I be me
Vice Captain

Moondust28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:36 pm
Here's a post in a mlp forum with tons of tutorial links and supply links:
http://www.mlparena.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=79605.html

They say things better than I can.

I highly recommend dollyhair, it's my favorite. Tina is nice and sends me random samples sometimes. ^_^ The hair is also to die for, especially the black and the plum which is so darn silky!

I've been told pony customizing is one of the cheapest hobbies you can find.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:30 pm
cool, thanks.  

I be me
Vice Captain

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:13 pm
Moondust28

I might know her if she's on the MLP boards! My pony-board name is Moondust. I'm pretty quiet generally, but I customize a lot.

Her Gaia username is: lev_21n01 and she's not on this guild, but very interested in meeting others who create MLPs. I have permission to do a name swap smile  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games