Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Adults using txt tlk? NO WAY! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DUbblecoMB_CoUNTer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:05 pm
I've had a cell phone for about a year now, and I try my best to stay away from text messaging. Though when I do, I try my best to use proper grammar. Recently I've received text messages from my dad. Though he's a very intelligent man, his grammar is horrible.

Discuss:
Adults that use "txt tlk"

~DUbblecoMBUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:51 pm
Duh. Every single adult I've ever spoken to online has abandoned grammatical correctness.

Know why? It doesn't matter.  

The Man who was Thursday

Dez Nihvet

Dapper Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:30 pm
Ezra Pound
Duh. Every single adult I've ever spoken to online has abandoned grammatical correctness.

Know why? It doesn't matter.
I agree wholeheartedly. I have seen this happen innumerable times.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:56 am
My sister has a business online and I know she uses proper English in her business correspondence, but in regular emails to family and friends she will slip into the text talk. burning_eyes

Drives me insane. domokun Especially since this woman has a degree, is an officer in the Air Force and has an IQ in the 200's !!! eek

I just don't get it. rolleyes  

Queen of the Blue Twins

1,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Angel80272

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:14 am
Perhaps they are tired of trying to be proper and want to see what it's like to be "cool" like the rest of the kids are doing. I honestly see no point to it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 am
My sister who is my age, 20, uses text talk all the time on my cell phone. I have to go and delete all the messages she sends because I just cannot stand to see it in my phone.  

Disturbed Little Angel

jobrecruiter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:23 pm
I think it's stupid for parents to use txt tlk, it's like my dad's stupid gf, she's talking to her friend from work (because I looked through her chats with her working friend on her laptop) and they say stuff like "lol" or "brb" and stuff like that. It's stupid when they say it but not when it's for people in the 10-19 age range! Like my dad's a slow typer and he doesn't put lol he puts in something stupider like "hehe" but the point I am trying to get to people here is that parents sound and look stupid when they txt tlk! That's my opinion!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:38 pm
My mom! She knows better. My mother is grammatically brilliant. She knows all the rules and all the advanced stuff that even I don't know. But when I received text messages from her, they are littered with "txt tlk". gonk

I think with some people, especially the ones who have to be professional all day, slipping into "txt tlk" mode online is equivalent to getting out of the business suit and slipping into a comfy pair of sweat pants at the end of the day.

i am very literate
You are? Well that's funny, because to me, it looks like you're missing something.
yeah what
The first letter of a sentence is supposed to be capitalized. All you need to do is hold down the Shift key while typing the letter.

When you write the letter "I" in reference to yourself, it is always supposed to be uppercase (same as capitalized).

Oh, I didn't know that Am I literate now
Almost. There's just one more thing you need.
[red]Yeah what
Punctuation. When your sentence comes to an end, it needs either a period (.), exclamation point (!) or question mark (?) (for questions only). Otherwise, it's not complete.
Oh, I get it! Thank you so much for your help. Now I'm truly literate!
it's not a problem. I'm glad I could be of help.

Capitalize those I's! Punctuate that sentence's posterior.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

[~~Bakky~~]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:46 pm
I use text messages all the time, and they're ALWAYS proper grammer. My mother does it. -.-' Everyone I talk to does it! Except me.... Then again, I don't text message myself that often. But I DO tak to myself. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:27 pm
Queen of the Blue Twins
My sister has a business online and I know she uses proper English in her business correspondence, but in regular emails to family and friends she will slip into the text talk. burning_eyes

Drives me insane. domokun Especially since this woman has a degree, is an officer in the Air Force and has an IQ in the 200's !!! eek

I highly, highly doubt she truly has an IQ of over 200, since that would put her as one of the most intelligent people to ever exist. Considering how IQ tests are normed, an IQ of over 190 would place a person at the 99.9999999th percentile.

How's this for an answer to why adults tend not to type correctly? They don't care, and justly so. Nobody cares except you lot. As long as what they type can be understood, it does not matter.  

The Man who was Thursday

Totensonntag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:28 pm
As far as text messaging goes, I tend to slip to acronyms like lol, brb, and my personal favorite, OMFJEEZUSJOOCE WTFIZZNIZZLE?!?!

But when I'm chatting in a forum or writing something, it's rare to find me making any amount of errors. I might accidentally come out with an "ain't" just due to growing up in rural South Carolina, and maybe the odd would of, in stead of would have.

Other then that, I tend to be a pretty clean grammered, punctuated, capitalized guy.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:32 pm
Ezra Pound
Queen of the Blue Twins

I highly, highly doubt she truly has an IQ of over 200, since that would put her as one of the most intelligent people to ever exist. Considering how IQ tests are normed, an IQ of over 190 would place a person at the 99.9999999th percentile.

How's this for an answer to why adults tend not to type correctly? They don't care, and justly so. Nobody cares except you lot. As long as what they type can be understood, it does not matter.

Actually, I agree wholeheartedly with Ezra. So long as you keep your insanely l33ted and txty grammar out of everyday face to face conversation, I won't shoot you in the face.  

Totensonntag

Alyssa_chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:52 pm
When people use text talk, it's because they're lazy. What bugs me is when people mix up their homophones. The other main thing that bugs me is when people leave messages like, "OMG! i <3 u!" Some abbreviations useful, such as b/c instead of because. It starts to get out of hand when people try to use text talk when talking out loud in acronyms. For example, when people say aka, instead of A.K.A. Or rotflol. But you shouldn't even say R.O.T.F.L.O.L. When you have to actually take a moment and think about what the acronyms could stand for, then you know it's too much.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:57 pm
Ezra Pound
Queen of the Blue Twins

I agree. It bothers me to no end when people use improper grammar and spelling on official documents, advertisements, and basically anything that is seen by the masses as something that should be 'professional.' As far as texting on a phone, e-mail, IMs, and such, I have no problem with 'lol,' 'brb,' 'wtf' and other expressions. It really is annoying and pedantic to criticize someone who has (and generally uses) a firm grasp of the English language for using an occasional l33t-ism. Of course, if that's all someone ever uses for communication, that gets annoying.

Also, thank you for pointing out the bit about the IQ.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

[~~Bakky~~]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:01 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
My mom! She knows better. My mother is grammatically brilliant. She knows all the rules and all the advanced stuff that even I don't know. But when I received text messages from her, they are littered with "txt tlk". gonk

I think with some people, especially the ones who have to be professional all day, slipping into "txt tlk" mode online is equivalent to getting out of the business suit and slipping into a comfy pair of sweat pants at the end of the day.

i am very literate
You are? Well that's funny, because to me, it looks like you're missing something.
yeah what
The first letter of a sentence is supposed to be capitalized. All you need to do is hold down the Shift key while typing the letter.

When you write the letter "I" in reference to yourself, it is always supposed to be uppercase (same as capitalized).

Oh, I didn't know that Am I literate now
Almost. There's just one more thing you need.
[red]Yeah what
Punctuation. When your sentence comes to an end, it needs either a period (.), exclamation point (!) or question mark (?) (for questions only). Otherwise, it's not complete.
Oh, I get it! Thank you so much for your help. Now I'm truly literate!
it's not a problem. I'm glad I could be of help.

Capitalize those I's! Punctuate that sentence's posterior.

You might want to fix the last line of your little lesson. razz  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces