Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Little History about TXT TLK Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it annoying when people talk TXT TLK?
  Yes; No
View Results

saotomi5102

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:23 pm
Text talk has evolved out of telegram messaging. It cost money and the people of this time were poor so they abbreviated terms. The first terms invented were "btw"(by the way) and "sys" (see you soon). They led to the development of ttyl, gtg, etc.
Text Talk is fine for texting and and IMs, but it drives me bonkers when people speak to you in such terms. Some people probably don't know how to say "talk to you later" anymore.
What do you think?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:54 pm
I personally don't like it when people use "txt tlk" when they text me. You will be priced for the text if you use "txt tlk" or not. So I think there's really no reason to use "txt tlk" when texting. Kinda the same for Instant Messaging. But, as long as no one talks to me face to face in "txt tlk" I'll be fine. smile  

-HelloHearts-

limp dick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:22 pm
How do you "txt tlk" in conversation?
Whomever you know who is able to do such is just bizarre.

I don't think it's fine anywhere.
It's just a degradation of human intellect.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:46 pm
I don't really like to text talk. I find it unneeded. but i do spell alot of things wrong. -smile-  

Trinity_Beach169

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:05 pm
Telegrams? That would go back to the 19th century. I guess there's nothing new under the sun.

I do not use text talk, at all, period. I even capitalize, punctuate and spell out words when I text on my cell and in IM chats.

Text talk in every form and in every medium, must die a slow and horrible death. twisted  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:07 pm
I find it odd when my friends will say things like "dot dot dot" when they don't know what I'm talking about, or they say "OMFG!" when something happens.

does this happen to anyone else?  

In_Fyniti

little miss bass clarinet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:23 am
I cannot say I am innocent for using "txt tlk" every now, and again. I don't use it very often, but you may see me throw in the ocassional "lol," but that's when I am being lazy. Most times, however, I will actually put hahahaha, or giggle, or snicker (You get the point right?).

As for when people are sitting in a public area and shout "WTF?" then that bothers me. PEOPLE SHOULD NOT USE "TXT TLK" WHEN THEY ARE LITERALLY SPEAKING!!! Enough said.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:45 am
I hate txt talk. One day when I was driving, the person beside me actually said GTFO my road. I just shook my head. Then one evening, someone said LOL, so I threw my shoe at him. By the way, this is Ayla69, not Hoshi, at the moment. I got on to check his email. But, I can not stand txt talk. What I fear is that when I start teaching English to students in a couple years, I will see txt talk in essays. And yes, I will give them a failing grade on the paper if I see that.  

HoshiKun

Dreaming in the Theatre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:56 am
I think it's incredibly amusing to use TXT TLK. I usually say "Ste-foo" as a joke, from "STFU," but that's usually about it. My friends do make little changes of TXT TLK (IE "Lol" to "lollerskates"), which has developed into an inside joke, so I still use those.

I think TXT TLK for phone messaging is justified. I don't know about anyone else, but the phone text drives me insane with all the letters and waiting and stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:41 am
HoshiKun
I hate txt talk. One day when I was driving, the person beside me actually said GTFO my road. I just shook my head. Then one evening, someone said LOL, so I threw my shoe at him. By the way, this is Ayla69, not Hoshi, at the moment. I got on to check his email. But, I can not stand txt talk. What I fear is that when I start teaching English to students in a couple years, I will see txt talk in essays. And yes, I will give them a failing grade on the paper if I see that.

A failing grade might be a little too harsh, but docking points for improper use of language would be perfectly acceptable.

Much like Hitokiri, I do my best to type properly in everything I do. Everyone makes mistakes, but it's taking time to go back and fix those mistakes that places people in different levels of respect in regard to others.  

Angel80272

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:08 am
The only txt tlk I've ever heard used verbally was "JK LOL" and that was usually used as a joke...a very private joke.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:16 pm
In_Fyniti
I find it odd when my friends will say things like "dot dot dot" when they don't know what I'm talking about, or they say "OMFG!" when something happens.

does this happen to anyone else?

Yes; this sort of thing happens to me. I know a few people who say 'T-T-Y-L' , 'O-M-F-G', etcetra, etcetra. I find it asinine.  

Subservient Nonentity

Subservient Nonentity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:17 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
Telegrams? That would go back to the 19th century. I guess there's nothing new under the sun.

I do not use text talk, at all, period. I even capitalize, punctuate and spell out words when I text on my cell and in IM chats.

Text talk in every form and in every medium, must die a slow and horrible death. twisted

It seems we have a thing in common. You, as well as I, use proper grammar even when text messaging via cell phone.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:21 pm
"TXT TLK" Drives me insane and anyone who uses it should be shot in the foot. =)  

Chase Keyhole

Kale Dragonheart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:54 pm
Text talk annoys the hell out of me, I do my best to ignore it and I try to rub my literacy off on everyone I talk to who prefer to use text talk by typing out long paragraph replies rather than my short paragraphs for those who don't at all like reading such long stuff... Such as in the chatterbox when I don't feel like falling into too large of discussions.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff