Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The shift key menace. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MistressIce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:53 pm
Does anyone else feel their eyes ache when they read a sentence TyPeD LiKe ThIs? I understand that 'txt tlk' is usually used to save time, but I would think you waste more time typing like that. If it was ment to be creative, it has lost its purpose. Has anyone else encounterd this shift-key smashing menace of a writing style?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:03 pm
Oh dear, yes. I have an associate that capitalizes every word of his sentences. Either that or he capitalizes every word that isn't in the category of 'to,' 'of,' 'and,' 'the,' etc. I can't remember which since it's been a good long while since I last instant messaged him.  

Malbeur

MistressIce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:53 pm
xD Maybe he feels that his words hold more power in them with the excess capitilization?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:45 am
I have not encountered it often, but it has given me a headache the few times that I have. Honestly, who types like that? It looks like it takes more time that it's worth.  

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:46 am
On a similar note, I think that one of my shift keys (specifically the one on the left) is actually starting to wear out. About 1/10 times, it does not register that I pressed it. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:05 pm
MistressIce
xD Maybe he feels that his words hold more power in them with the excess capitilization?

They were probably thinking: "gee, at least one of them is bound to be right".  

Triste

Gunslinger19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:09 pm
I know people that may do it on accident but say they don't care enough to go back and fix it. I am very bothered when I see myself do it and go back and correct when I notice it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:16 pm
It's very annoying especially when you're trying to have a normal or serious conversation.  

ErgoPr0xy

xAvenirYuinax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:36 pm
Yeah... that kind of destroys the serious or normal nature of the topic, making it become almost laughable.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:43 pm
Either laughable or just a flame contest. Oh, sometimes...well most of the time, I'll just end up ignoring that person.  

ErgoPr0xy

xAvenirYuinax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:52 pm
Heh, I'm a little odd in that respect, the more they become illiterate, the more I refer to my large vocabulary. That shuts them up after a short while and they leave. -snickers- It is quite amusing actually.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:55 pm
xAvenirYuinax
Heh, I'm a little odd in that respect, the more they become illiterate, the more I refer to my large vocabulary. That shuts them up after a short while and they leave. -snickers- It is quite amusing actually.

That's priceless. I shall do the same on the next person I see talking in that manner.  

ErgoPr0xy

cantchangemynameahhdf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:31 pm
I see that all the time. I don't understand the point, when I have tried to replicate this 'style,' it took me a lot longer than a normal sentence. It's that much harder to read as well.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:35 pm
I have a bad habit of capitalizing words I think are important, but I've been wiening myself off it slowly.  

[~~Bakky~~]

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:42 pm
I'll be typeing and I don't look at the key board or the screen and when I hit shift I sometimes hit caps lock and then I'll have to go back and type the whole thing again. But that happens to my friend all the time and she just leaves half of it in caps and half not. I drives me crazzy Does that ever happen to any of you?  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff