Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
'Worser' is a word. / Books with bad grammar. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CosmicSweetss

Sparkly Fairy

8,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:48 am
"Worser"

I don't know if this was a topic allready, and it seems I can't search through the topics.. If this is a repeat topic please delete.

I remember once I saw and article that declared 'worser' as a word. I was skeptical and looked it up, lo and behold, it's in the dictionary! I don't know if it is still there, but it shocked me.

The article said that because people used 'worser' so much, that they decided to make it word.

What do you guys think?

"Books"

I didn't want to spam the guild, so I decided to edit this instead.

I've come across a couple books with bad grammar in the prose. This bothers me because it sets a bad example. I mean it doesn't matter how your characters talk, but shouldn't your prose at least be correct? How do these books get published? This bothers me a lot, and I really had to get this out.

Opinions?

(I'm studying sentence structure so I would appreciate gentle correction with explinations. Thank you!)  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:56 am
It doesn't make sense, since worse is already a comparative.

But if people really do use it a lot, I see no problem with it being considered a word.  

The Man who was Thursday

xAvenirYuinax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:55 pm
True, except for that fact that it just sounds weird.

Edit: Thank you Yami no Hitokiri.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:47 pm
Ezra Pound

But if people really do use it a lot, I see no problem with it being considered a word.

What if they start accepting other words though? Like pwnd or something else people say a lot.
Just because a word is used a lot doesn't mean they should add it to the dictionary. That's only my opinion though.  

CosmicSweetss

Sparkly Fairy

8,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200

[~~Bakky~~]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:48 pm
I agree with your one point, "It doesn't matter how the characters talk." I got docked marks on my one english assignment because she didn't like the way one of my characters said something. >.>' I was pissed to say the least.
(Reffering to the story in my main account's journal. Take a look if you so desire.)

And worse isn't a word that can be stacked. (Like, nice and nicer, etc.) It's just worse. If something is worse than that. It's just that, worse.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:52 pm
Okay I read the book It's Kinda a Funny Story. and on the front page there was a notice saying that the grammer was bad and that the reader should expect to find mistakes and that the fixed copy would be published later. It was a good book but I find that stupid. why publish a book when you know there are mistakes in it? It doesn't make sense to me!  

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:53 pm
Chii of Hearts
Ezra Pound

What if they start accepting other words though? Like pwnd or something else people say a lot.
Just because a word is used a lot doesn't mean they should add it to the dictionary. That's only my opinion though.

I agree but what does pwnd mean anyway alot of people say it?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:54 pm
MuffinChick54
Chii of Hearts
Ezra Pound

It's 'owned' except the o is replaced with a p to make it sound 'cooler'.  

[~~Bakky~~]

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:03 pm
[~~Bakky~~]
MuffinChick54
Chii of Hearts
Ezra Pound

Okay..... thats stupid and doesn't sound cool at all!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:09 pm
MuffinChick54
[~~Bakky~~]
MuffinChick54
Chii of Hearts
Ezra Pound

Okay..... thats stupid and doesn't sound cool at all!

Hence the ' '.  

[~~Bakky~~]

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:14 pm
It amazes me what people will say to be "cool" but most of the time they only look "cool" to the idiots that are just like them.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:09 pm
Yes, as some people have said, I don't think frequency of use should not play a big factor in the acceptance of misused and wrong words. If it was a word that was made-up and is used a lot, then I understand, but "worser?" gonk  

MistuhFieryCat

PlatinumChild

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:18 pm

Wow. Just because it's used a lot doesn't mean it's right to put it in a dictionary. I hope they don't start putting 'teh' or 'chu' or 'ficcie' or 'piccie'.....

[Shan.Raikou]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:30 pm
Chii of Hearts: allready already, explinations explanations
xAvenirYuinax: wierd weird

I'll be in the cold, cold ground before I'll recognize "worser" as a word! burning_eyes  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:34 pm
If common use weren't grounds for entry into a dictionary, 90% of the words you type now wouldn't be "real".

On "pwned": it's from gaming culture; frantic typists would often slip up and type "pwned" instead of "owned". This typographical error became so common that gamers started using it regularly and intentionally; thence, it spread.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff