Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
Kurt Vonnegut jr. anybody?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

(LD)Croaks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:52 pm
Has anybody read any Kurt Vonnegut jr. books? If so tell me what you thought.

I have read Cat's Cradle, Breakfast of Champions, Deadeye d**k and Slaughterhouse Five. Personally I think he is a wonderful writer and is definately one of my favorite authors.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:37 pm
Peach stew. . .  

(LD)Croaks

Dreyja

4,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:06 pm
I read Slaughterhouse Five and . .. oh. What was it?
Dark Night? I can't really remember the name.

Anyways, I thought he was pretty amazing.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:03 pm
He rocks! I'm surprised more people haven't heard of him. . .  

(LD)Croaks

Citizen Lumos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:34 pm
He is most certainly on my top 5 favorite authors list. His writing just blows me away!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:07 pm
I haven't read him in a long time. I loved him. I wonder if I can get him on cd. I have to drive around a lot.  

iprefersepia

Miradora

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:42 pm
Sadly, Vonnegut just died within the last few weeks. I'm not sure if it was the last book he published, but it was the most recent thing I read...Time Quake. He explores the concept of free choice. I've forgotten exactly how the time quake works, but I think that a time quake shifts time a certain amount (varying amounts depending on the strength of the quake) and you relive your life EXACTLY until time catches up with where the original quake happened. It's not like Groundhog Day; nobody can alter their actions. One way Vonnegut describes it is to compare it to when we go to a movie we've seen before and sit through it knowing EVERYTHING that is going to happen. I highly recommend it.  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:54 am
I read some book of his about 2056 or something and the 244amendment or whatever the amendment was.  

normtheclone

Super Perfundo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:13 pm
Miradora
Sadly, Vonnegut just died within the last few weeks. I'm not sure if it was the last book he published, but it was the most recent thing I read...Time Quake. He explores the concept of free choice. I've forgotten exactly how the time quake works, but I think that a time quake shifts time a certain amount (varying amounts depending on the strength of the quake) and you relive your life EXACTLY until time catches up with where the original quake happened. It's not like Groundhog Day; nobody can alter their actions. One way Vonnegut describes it is to compare it to when we go to a movie we've seen before and sit through it knowing EVERYTHING that is going to happen. I highly recommend it.

No, his last book was A Man Without a Country, which was basically his autobiography. Vonnegut has been one of my favorite authors since 7th grade when we read the short story Harrison Bergeron. I highly recommend Welcome to the Monkey House, which is a compilation of his short stories. It's brilliant, as was he.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:35 pm
After reading Harrison Bergeron in class, I fell in love with Vonnegut. The Cat's Cradle was pretty good... I think the only one I haven't read is Deadeye d**k; I haven't been able to find a copy. Harrison Bergeron is still my favorite, though.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Bone Her

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:48 pm
I've never heard of this author, I'll try to pick up one of his novels, which one would you reccomend?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:09 pm
@Bone Her: His most popular is Slaughterhouse-Five, mostly because it deals with his personal experiences as a POW in WWII and is very emotionally compelling. I'd recommend Man Without a Country to start with, however, just so that you know what you're getting into; he's very opinionated, and his writing style is quite fragmented. Personal favorites of mine are Cat's Cradle and Slapstick, or Lonesome No More.

My least favorite is probably Breakfast of Champions. It's not a bad book, but it just doesn't feel right to me... it's a bit more dry than his normal style.

Also, I found another one that I haven't read yet; God Bless you, Dr. Kevorkian. Next time I see it at a library, I won't fail to pick it up.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Literature

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces