Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
I'm sick and tired of... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Please answer before you read this. Answer this seriously. Are you Shakespeare's modern day reincarnation?
  Yes
  No
View Results

finalefanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:31 am
Why does everyone here b***h about how other people use words. I understand complaining about text talk and elite speak, but words such as 'ain't' and 'y'all'? Seriously, you need to get over yourself. I guarantee that no of you are actually Shakespeare's reincarnation. And just so you know, I'm an English teacher.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:42 am
I'd say some words are bound by preference, more than anything. I personally use "y'all" both in written and oral form, despite never growing up/lived in any places where it's commonly used.  

Triste

[Val]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:41 am
I don't really use "ain't" or "y'all". sweatdrop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:09 am
I rarely use "ain't" and only occationly through speech do I say "y'all." Although often in my speech, typeing with friends, and role playing I will use a Shakespeareian way of talking.  

dark_elf

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:50 am
See, this is what this guild tends to do. Vaguely read the first post, and reply with something that may or may not actually apply.

They tend not to read other posts within the thread.

Also, yeah, I don't care about anything as long as I can understand it -- including "txt tlk" and l3375p34k.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:17 am
I SAY "y'all" and "ain't", but right after I say either of those in a sentece, I say, "Even though ain't (or y'all) isn't a word."  

YourLovelyBear

Beloved Bear

17,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:09 am
dark_elf: typeing typing

"Ain't" is a word we tend to look down upon here because it is the product of laziness. It carries with it an air of informality and anti-intellectualism.

"Ya'll" is a word we might be a bit more forgiving of because it comes more from regional dialects, such as those found in the West and South.

In any case, we tend to be a bit high brow around here, which suits me just fine in this age of informality.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:57 am
Personally, I type 'ain't' if I feel it suits.
The region I come from is somewhat infamous for its vocabulary laziness, so 'ain't' is a highly common word, along with 'innit', and we quite often miss out entire words. 'The' is almost ALWAYS missed! So in the interest of putting across the real person, I see no problem with using these words and missing certain letters. Over MSN, I often use Dunno', because I SAY Dunno'. It has nothing to do with laziness.  

Marcus McFlufferson

Triste

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:12 pm
Ezra Pound
See, this is what this guild Gaia users tends to do. Vaguely read the first post, and reply with something that may or may not actually apply.

Fixed. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:02 pm
Yami no Hitokiri: ya'll y'all

I see 0 problem with "ain't" and "y'all", even from a grammatical standpoint.

ain't = contracted form of "am not"
y'all = contracted form of "you all"

Obviously, that means "ain't" only applies to first-person subjects, but it still applies.  

The Man who was Thursday

- Xenn be Twisted -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
dark_elf: typeing typing

"Ain't" is a word we tend to look down upon here because it is the product of laziness. It carries with it an air of informality and anti-intellectualism.

"Ya'll" is a word we might be a bit more forgiving of because it comes more from regional dialects, such as those found in the West and South.

In any case, we tend to be a bit high brow around here, which suits me just fine in this age of informality.

Well put there! *thumbs up* I agree with that. I say Ain't alot when I'm joking around with friends but I don't use it when speaking normally. And I know it's not a word >.-  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:09 pm
Why be a guild basher? Did you join just to insult people, or did someone offend you?

Haha, four people voted "yes."  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

omiyashi0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:24 pm
I say "ain't", "y'all", "dunno", "cain't" and a few other non-dictionary words. In my, and other people's, defense, how you talk, is directly related to where you live. I love how I talk.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:44 pm
Well... I don't type any of those. I used to say ya'll, but now I live in PA ( xp ) so I don't use it much anymore.  

KadajNu

Yue Ming

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:39 pm
I use the word 'ain't' too much for my own liking, but it's a habit now. I also say 'd'you' and phrases like 'Whatcha doin'?"

But, I use proper punctuation, it sounds like my grammar isn't all that great (it isn't) but I type the way I talk.

I don't really see anything wrong with those words from my point of view. I think it depends on who you are, where you live, and your culture, so there's nothing wrong with that.

I also use 'teh', 'OHEMGEE', and the occasional 'WTFBBQ' when fooling with friends, but not in serious conversations because that would degrade me. .___.'  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff