Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Perky Goth and just not Goth at all Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DJ Database

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:08 am
Okay, So Ive noticed some issues with the whole perky Goth thing. Not generaly with people just Issues that are there. "perky Goth" is generally an attitude and a fashion. But then I noticed its similar to just being prepy. and Ideal things that make you goth but perky but how do other people know that? I have also noticed while realizing these things that people generally call Goths these days "Emo" because they dont know the difference. So here are some pics (below) that are perky goth or in a way perky goth. How could we help this and make it easier for people to tell. Most dont allways know and it can bother a lot of Perky goths to be called emo or a prep. What is your opinion and what are your stories on this subject? This is noting how you and people around you tell the difference between color perky goths and preps.

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:21 am
Sakusu
Okay, So Ive noticed some issues with the whole perky Goth thing. Not generaly with people just Issues that are there. "perky Goth" is generally an attitude and a fashion. But then I noticed its similar to just being prepy. and Ideal things that make you goth but perky but how do other people know that? I have also noticed while realizing these things that people generally call Goths these days "Emo" because they dont know the difference. So here are some pics (below) that are perky goth or in a way perky goth. How could we help this and make it easier for people to tell. Most dont allways know and it can bother a lot of Perky goths to be called emo or a prep. What is your opinion and what are your stories on this subject? This is noting how you and people around you tell the difference between color perky goths and preps.

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

I usually can tell the difference between real goth, and perky/ prep goth based off of how bubbly and joyful the person acts. In my opinion a perky goth is someone who may wear all black but, will run around, and act all happy, and hyper like. Sometimes people like that make me crazy, because I have heard them disrespect those who are real actual goth ( quite, and not so perky), but then there they are wearing all black, and trying to be gothic themselfs.  

Devils_lilboy

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:41 am
Personally, I see no reason why someone who's bubbly and happy and likes cute things can't be goth. There are as many definitions of goth as there are people who belong to the subculture, and if someone who loves Sanrio and little rhinestone skulls wants to define themself that way, who am I to say that they're not?

Being a happy, energetic person doesn't mean you can't have a dark streak. Hell, look at my mother. She's just about the perkiest person I know, and she was a cheerleader in highschool. But she would have been goth, if it had been around back then. She likes my music. She's fascinated by goth clothes. Without her, I wouldn't have turned out this way... she's the one who hung a big black plushie spider over my bed when I was little.

The only perky people who bug me are the ones who act perky all the time. The ones who run around with plastic smiles on their faces, trying desperately to make you believe they're happy every day of their hyper little lives. When people act like that, you just know they're deluding themselves and can't live with life's low points. But they drive me nuts whether they claim to be goth or not.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:05 pm
Veruniel
Personally, I see no reason why someone who's bubbly and happy and likes cute things can't be goth. There are as many definitions of goth as there are people who belong to the subculture, and if someone who loves Sanrio and little rhinestone skulls wants to define themself that way, who am I to say that they're not?

Being a happy, energetic person doesn't mean you can't have a dark streak. Hell, look at my mother. She's just about the perkiest person I know, and she was a cheerleader in highschool. But she would have been goth, if it had been around back then. She likes my music. She's fascinated by goth clothes. Without her, I wouldn't have turned out this way... she's the one who hung a big black plushie spider over my bed when I was little.

The only perky people who bug me are the ones who act perky all the time. The ones who run around with plastic smiles on their faces, trying desperately to make you believe they're happy every day of their hyper little lives. When people act like that, you just know they're deluding themselves and can't live with life's low points. But they drive me nuts whether they claim to be goth or not.

I agree with a lot that you say. It's proably another stero-type thing that sets people apart, again.  

Angel Bruja

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:24 pm
A goth is an avid fan of goth-rock and a member of the community that surrounds it.

Personality has NO impact on whether or not the person is a goth.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:53 pm
I'm a perky goth. I don't act like all the other goths at my school. I'M JUST WEIRD surprised lol  

EApoe666

Fashionable Genius

6,750 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Dressed Up 200

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:11 pm
GilAskan
A goth is an avid fan of goth-rock and a member of the community that surrounds it.

Personality has NO impact on whether or not the person is a goth.

Yes, enjoying goth rock and being a member of the subculture are required, no doubt about that.

But the personality thing may be a bit debatable. I find that a lot of goths find enjoyment or acceptance in things other people would find depressing - which is also how this could apply to the thread, since if you are a perky goth, you would most likely be happy about most things, including or even especially things others would find depressing or weird.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:50 pm
So, everyone who is goth eitehr has to be-
depressed or
act more cool than they actually are?

I'm sorry, I label myself goth and I am not depressed, running around snubbing my nose at people because they think they are cool but really aren't.

I'm starting to think there are two different kinds of goth instead of all the different fashion goths.

And those two have to do with tolerance and maturity over immaturity.

Who cares if someone wants to wear a pink necklace with kitties on it and call themself goth? Who cares if they are happy?

Every other goth I'm sure can find something shallow or ungothy about you.

And all those pictures were for adds- they weren't even gothy. They were just trendy.  

Alliecat

Lady Detarra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:17 pm
Just because you're a happy person doesn't mean you're not goth. I am a freakishly happy person and i'm goth. Saying "oh you're too happy there is no way you can be goth" is ridiculous! Saying that goths can't be happy is just feeding into the negative stereotypes that we've been trying to get rid of for years. 99% of the goths I know are the happiest people I've ever met! Don't mean to rant but that is just ignorant. Gah i'm done.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:19 pm
The term "Goth" originally started as a way to describe something resembling representations/replications of the Gothic Era. All the fancy clothing; detailed art work; etc. It could be representative of something happy or not; it is mainly the style.

Somewhere down the line, the term got linked to death and liking death. With the surge of such "categories" as Perky, Theatrical, even Doom "Goth", I think we can safely assume we are showing a return to the original meaning of the term.  

Orias13

YurikoMasaki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:26 pm
Umm.. actually... before being used during the 'gothic' period as a term for the building style.... the word goth or gothic actually did have negative connotations in Europe... also the goth were actually what a group of people who the Romans fought during the build of the Roman Empire were called... so ........ the word goes back quite far but the meaning or usage constantly changes...... sorry.........

redface xd Please don't get mad.... >.< and no.. I don't think I know everything... I just took latin for a few years and avidly watch the history channel.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:01 pm
Veruniel
Personally, I see no reason why someone who's bubbly and happy and likes cute things can't be goth. There are as many definitions of goth as there are people who belong to the subculture, and if someone who loves Sanrio and little rhinestone skulls wants to define themself that way, who am I to say that they're not?...

Damn right.  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

-Isel-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:03 pm
All I can say is... I want that Hello Kitty scarf.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:05 pm
YurikoMasaki
Umm.. actually... before being used during the 'gothic' period as a term for the building style.... the word goth or gothic actually did have negative connotations in Europe... also the goth were actually what a group of people who the Romans fought during the build of the Roman Empire were called... so ........ the word goes back quite far but the meaning or usage constantly changes...... sorry.........

redface xd Please don't get mad.... >.< and no.. I don't think I know everything... I just took latin for a few years and avidly watch the history channel.

Goths= Scandinavian/Germanic barbarian tribe who proved themselves to be formidable foes of the Roman empire, often successfully sacked major cities of the empire. Known for their dark clothing.  

-Isel-

Alliecat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:13 pm
Isel
All I can say is... I want that Hello Kitty scarf.

Me too.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces