Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
I can honestly say I've never seen this in the class rules..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:52 am
Ok...this is not a horror story, but I think it can go here...if not feel free to curse me out...

At my college, we have message boards for our classes to simplify comunication. It is on a system called Blackboard.

I just had my first Women's Studies class today. On the rules was this and I quote:

Class Rules Regarding Message Board
I expect you to adhere to standards in regard to grammar, punctuation, spelling, and citation in your Blackboard postings. Please refrain from using "e-speak"--ie: "u r 2 smart!" or "plz stud e w/me b4 class.")

As to proper grammar...there was opening for that parenthesis...I found that ironic...but I just noticed that...

I find it funny that she was nipping txt tlk in the bud by banning it from class. Has anyone else heard of txt tlk referred to as e-speak? I heard of chat-speak, but not e-speak.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:59 am
I didnt' "know" it as anything but "that annoying crap that n00bs use to make themselves seem smart." Never heard it called "e-speak."  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Ellis Bell Esq.

Thirteenth Partier

400 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:13 pm
As in, "electronic-speak". I've heard it once or twice.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:26 am
I've heard it once or twice.  

Tarantellatears

GlamxShock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:25 pm
Ellis Bell Esq.
As in, "electronic-speak". I've heard it once or twice.

Me too.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:29 pm
Like E-Mail, right? I've only heard it about twice now.  

Stumpilicious

Dreyja

4,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:48 am
Actually, both of my college teachers made sure to inform the class that any use of "leet" or "e-speak" or "whatever else you want to call it" is not allowed in their classrooms.
Anyone who dares to use it will get a point taken from their assignment, meaning that the best they could get would be a 75%.
I'm pretty sure they were serious, too.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:02 am
Dreyja
Actually, both of my college teachers made sure to inform the class that any use of "leet" or "e-speak" or "whatever else you want to call it" is not allowed in their classrooms.
Anyone who dares to use it will get a point taken from their assignment, meaning that the best they could get would be a 75%.
I'm pretty sure they were serious, too.

YES! Go your college teachers!! My Science teaher has used txt tlk in his notes for the class [using "w/", "/", "#" etc.]
I always translate them in to proper English so I don't confuse myself later.  

Buccellatte

Sparkly Conversationalist

Angel80272

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:05 pm
xXSavage NymphXx
YES! Go your college teachers!! My Science teaher has used txt tlk in his notes for the class [using "w/", "/", "#" etc.]

I can see notes taken in shorthand (w/, w/o, b/c, "that little three dot triangle that means 'therefore' in math", and the like), but that is all. Hooray to the teachers for taking a stand against net-speak/e-speak/n00b-speak/crap!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:12 am
tiger80272
xXSavage NymphXx

I can see notes taken in shorthand (w/, w/o, b/c, "that little three dot triangle that means 'therefore' in math", and the like), but that is all. Hooray to the teachers for taking a stand against net-speak/e-speak/n00b-speak/crap!

I always take notes using shortcuts...honestly, it's easier to draw a triangle than to write out "defendant" every couple of minutes. And I don't see a problem with my professors using shortcuts while taking notes, either.

The problem comes from turning in papers using shortcuts. I'm glad that some teachers are giving out failing grades for using txt tlk and s**t. (I had a teacher in high school who didn't even notice! It was very sad. I'm just glad that other people have better teachers than I did.)

And I haven't actually heard the term "e-speak" before, but I guess it makes some sense. I'm betting your teacher that used that term is pretty old and/or not fluent in current terminology. rolleyes  

rae-chan-sensei

Lonely Kitten

"TXT TLK" horror stories

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces