Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Ok well.. I've got an issue with something Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you literate?
  Yes, I can read
  Yes, I would never use txt tlk
  No, I've never read a word in my life, not even this question
  No, i luv txt tlk nd woodnt trade it 4 nething
View Results

FeelinShiny

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:14 pm
I've wondered about this for some time now... Why do we call ourselfs "literate" and call the txt tlkers "illiterate"??

If one was illiterate wouldn't that mean that one would be unable to read? And if one is unalbe to read what does that have to do with using txt tlk?

If I am correct about this, why in heavens name would the Gaian Grammar Guild use the wrong word?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:04 pm
I think because literate means so much more than just being able to read. You can be literate in any subject; it's essentially a mastery of the subject, I believe. (I had a friend do his master's thesis on literacy in non-english classes). And by lowering yourself to use txt tlk and such, you are proving that you don't have a full command of the English language; and those who use it consistently generally don't. It's shameful how many Americans cannot use their own language well...when most of the world can use several languages fluently.

...I'm not sure where else I want to go with this, so I'll leave it here.

Dea-chan

Dea Mariella

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:15 pm
Dea Mariella
I think because literate means so much more than just being able to read. You can be literate in any subject; it's essentially a mastery of the subject, I believe. (I had a friend do his master's thesis on literacy in non-english classes). And by lowering yourself to use txt tlk and such, you are proving that you don't have a full command of the English language; and those who use it consistently generally don't. It's shameful how many Americans cannot use their own language well...when most of the world can use several languages fluently.

...I'm not sure where else I want to go with this, so I'll leave it here.

Dea-chan

I would actually refer to that as fluency. Literacy is a basic understanding (in the context of language: being able to read/write), fluency is a much more profound grasp.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:09 am
[x]
Definition of literate from Dictionary.com

–adjective
1. able to read and write.
2. having or showing knowledge of literature, writing, etc.; literary; well-read.
3. characterized by skill, lucidity, polish, or the like: His writing is literate but cold and clinical.
4. having knowledge or skill in a specified field: literate in computer usage.
5. having an education; educated.
–noun
6. a person who can read and write.
7. a learned person.

Definition of literate from Urban Dictionary.com

1) A person possessing reading and writing skills that remain acceptable by the standards of the English language.
2) A member belonging to the nearly unknown society of persons able to string a sentence together without the addition of such terms including ur, hott, omg, lolz, wft, and so forth...

Literate: Did you see that girl knock out the math teacher?

Non-Literate: omg did u see tha mofo slung that f** in his ******** ballz??

Sorry for the "I regurgitate information I found on the internet" post, but I thought the contrast between the two websites would help you out a bit.

~
Pyrite
[x]

[ Pyrite ]

Triste

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:19 am
To reiterate, I would personally think that those "txt tlkers" are lazy and ignorant, not necessarily "illiterate". Illiteracy is what's implied, but that might not be true.

It's about wasted potential and bad habits. They just don't seem to realize the power of words, especially in its written form. neutral  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:26 am
Literacy is the ability ti read and write. They can read well, but they can't seem to write very well.  

Masamune no Hi

Yavie Feels Pretty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:37 am
It's just a term that evolved over time, I suppose. I don't think it would be easy to change it anytime soon. It's just become another one of those "internet terms" for us crazy young'uns.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:46 pm
Interesting...

Well I feel a need to admit that I do use txt tlk in chat situations, for instance on AIM or RuneScape. But I think it's totally uncalled for to use txt tlk in a post. I mean if you're taking the time to type something out that will be there for a very long time it should be readable.

Having said that I can say that using txt tlk doesn't mean you're iliterate. In fact I propose that you can be literate in txt tlk as well!

So for my next topics...

Can you be literate in txt tlk?

What do you think about using txt tlk in chat situations?

Is there a diference between CIA, HMO, and countless TV (look another one) channels and OMG, BRB, and TTYL?

Now for a responce...

To Yavir Feels Pretty: If iliterate if an "internet term" then should it be alowed, seeing as pwnzor is also an "internet term"?  

FeelinShiny

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

v_tec_nat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:51 pm
I always use AIM and it does't bother me that much. Sometimes I make mistakes and don't use punctuation but, that's really it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:25 am
I guess it might be possible to be "literate" in txttlk, since I am not. Honestly, I can barely read or write it. I need my handy Noobspeek Translator 3.0 to decode it biggrin  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:51 pm
It is a good point he makes. I suppose in the strictest sense, I am misusing the word "illiterate" in reference to the "txt tlkrz" because they can obviously read at some level, or wouldn't be able to use letters at all.

To me though, literacy is about so much more than reading and writing, which anyone with a normal brain should be able to do by age eight. It is about mastery of the language, both orally and written.

It is about being able to create full, proper sentences. It is about knowing the difference between a preposition, adjective, infinitive, etc.

Literacy to me, is the mastery of our beautiful language. Fluency might be the better term though. But you understand the point I am attempting to make.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:41 pm
A puzzling quandary, indeed.

"Site" and "webpage" are also internet terms, are they not? I don't suppose we can just go around calling websites "the places where you bring the pointer to hover over and apply pressure with your index finger in order to bring a new informational page up on your screen", could we?

Yavie Feels Pretty

FeelinShiny

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:44 pm
This is true...

But under the same thought process wouldn't it be easier to type "omg" instead of "oh my god"? Three letters compared to seven... Or "rofl" instead of "rolling on floor laughing"?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:27 pm
FeelinShiny
I've wondered about this for some time now... Why do we call ourselfs "literate" and call the txt tlkers "illiterate"??

If one was illiterate wouldn't that mean that one would be unable to read? And if one is unalbe to read what does that have to do with using txt tlk?

If I am correct about this, why in heavens name would the Gaian Grammar Guild use the wrong word?

We, as a wide range of literate individuals, call ourSELVES literate because we are capable of reading AND writing in a form that is "par" to standards of our age in conjunction with the level of education we have passed. Aka, if you have finished 6th grade, I expect a 6th grade reading level and writing level, or better. If you have a high school diploma, I expect at least a level of intelligent writing/grammar skill to back that up! (rare so many times, I know, but I'm proud to have STANDARDS!)

Literacy is NOT just based on reading skills alone! It is also based on WRITING skills! There is a time and a place for "code speak" such as bantar amongst friends, and etc, but when in public, don't use your ignorance as an excuse! There is NO EXCUSE for IGNORANCE!  

Clearly Opaque

Clearly Opaque

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:34 pm
MyOwnBestCritic
I guess it might be possible to be "literate" in txttlk, since I am not. Honestly, I can barely read or write it. I need my handy Noobspeek Translator 3.0 to decode it biggrin

LOLOL. Well said! Could you direct me to a copy of that program please? *winks* I can understand them sometimes, but it takes an unorthadox amount of time and energy better spent elsewhere!  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff