Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Your/ You're Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Archdemonessa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:12 pm
I just noticed this, and now I get to yell at my Language teacher for it. It's not Your Welcome, but You're Welcome. It's so... confusing! And by the way, English is not my first language, and finding this is odd.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:52 pm
Well I'm glad you found it, it's certainly one of my pet peeves, and I dare say it is for most on this guild.  

Marcus McFlufferson

Cinnamon_Kitty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:07 am
ARGH!

That is MY pet peeve, when it comes to peoples grammar. That, and when they can't distinguish between "their", "they're" and so on.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:30 am
[x]
I mentioned this mistake as a pet peeve of mine in my guild application. A good friend of mine once told me that "your" is the most abused word on the internet. rofl

~
Pyrite
[x]

[ Pyrite ]

Domenic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:00 am
I think you're my role model. You managed to figure out it's 'you're' and english isn't even your first language, whereas everyone else in the wolrd (minus the people in this guild) apparently missed elementary school.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:01 am
Well I think it makes sense if you look at all the other abbriviated words and think about it.  

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:55 am
Cinnamon_Kitty
ARGH!

That is MY pet peeve, when it comes to peoples grammar. That, and when they can't distinguish between "their", "they're" and so on.

It is the same for me! I HATE that mistake. I don't know why it grates so much, but it does and it makes me want to kill someone. I know a girl at school who does that even after being told and corrected many times, and she wants to become a teacher. Maybe that is the problem you were having: the perpetuation of terrible spelling and grammar skills. And you should get extra points for finding that mistake and not having English as your first language. I find that more and more native English-speakers cannot even get that much right.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:12 am
I see this all the time, and it always bugs me. One time, I got into an argument about it and won xd

Quote:
"Your" = Posessive

"You're" = You are

"There" = In a certain location

"Their" = Posessive

"They're" = They are

"It's" = It is

"Its" = Posessive

The only problem is that people overuse and abuse the posessive forms. *shudders*  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

limp dick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:52 pm
English isn't my first language either.
I noticed that way back when, though.
I simply thought to myself whether I could use the two words that formed the contraction "you're" in place of the word I'm using, whether it be "your" or "you're".  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:31 pm
I just taught myself to type that not so long ago because I was typing/writing "Your welcome, Your stupid." Now, I feel smarter. x3

~. <3 .~

Brick `

Enduring Explorer

ljosberinn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:59 pm
APOSTROPHEEEEEEEE how often have I missed you so emo

It's one of my biggest pet peeves in English. That and when people confuse 'live' and 'life'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:57 pm
It's so annoying to me when people use the wrong forms of "There/Their/They're," "To/Two/Too," and "Your/You're!"  

Captain No

MistressIce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:14 pm
Your: To show owner ship
You're: (you are)

There: A place
Their: Saying other people have owndership. I.E. "Its their ball, give it back to them."
They're: Refering to a group of people with adjetives. I.E. "They're a bunch of snobs for not sharing their ball."

To: To show an action or designation. I.E. 1 "I went to bed early." 2 "The letter was addressed to Jane."
Two: '2'
Too: To show an excess. "I drank too much at Frank's party."

Gold star for me?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:40 pm
MistressIce

Their: Saying other people have owndership. I.E. "Its their ball, give it back to them."
They're: Refering to a group of people with adjetives. I.E. "They're a bunch of snobs for not sharing their ball."

To: To show an action or designation. I.E. 1 "I went to bed early." 2 "The letter was addressed to Jane."

Gold star for me?

Gold star, AND a Banana sticker, or would you like a different sticker ?

Natilly

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:03 pm
MistressIce

Gold star for me?

No gold star. Spelling mistakes abound and incomplete/inefficient definitions.

There: Also, a pronoun.
Their: 3rd person plural possessive.
They're: Contraction of They are.
To: Used to create an infinitive ("to correct"); preposition for direction of action.
Too: Can be used for the idea of "also".  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff