Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Sock Tutorial

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KingToon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:06 pm
I want to start knitting socks, and i dont know what to do with the fourth needle, and it is rather confusing. I tried the sock101 site but that didnt help me very much at all. All help would be loved.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:40 pm
the fourth needle is like the empty needle when you're knitting, I'd recommend doing a practice project.  

Chaotic_Mind

4,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:51 pm
KingToon
I want to start knitting socks, and i dont know what to do with the fourth needle, and it is rather confusing. I tried the sock101 site but that didnt help me very much at all. All help would be loved.

Okay, so when your knitting with two needles, you start with all the stitches on one needle, right? Then the other needle is empty. You knit with the empty needle, right?

So when casting onto DPNs, you have your stitches spread evenly between 3 needles (or 4, depending on if you have a set of 4 or 5 needles, and which one you prefere, the only important bit is to have 1 needle without stitches)

You take your last needle, your empty one, and you start knitting off of the needle with your first stitch on it, so that it forms a loop.

When using straight needles, you get to the end of the needle, and suddenly the one that used to have stitches is your empty one, right? and you knit with the empty needle.

So when using DPNs, when you finish the stitches on one needle, it becomes your empty one and you use it to knit the next needle-full.

On straight needles, you've finished a row when you've knit or purled into each stitch, right?

So on DPNs, when you've gone through all 3 (or 4) needles that orriginally had stitches, you've completed a row. All stitches have been knitted or purled, and your ready to start a new row. (I'd highly recomend a stitch marker to keep track of the begining of your row, btw)

I hope i helped some! If you're still having trouble and nobody manages to clear it up, i might be able to make you pictures.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:57 pm
This looks like a helpful site: Silver's sock class. I used it to learn how to graft the toes.

If you're unfamiliar with using dpns it might be wise to practice knitting in the round before taking on a sock. I made really simple wrist warmers to learn. Just knit a tube as long as you want the wrist warmer. If you use ribbing it will fit better.  

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

KingToon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:38 pm
thank you so very much the both of you. I can now do it.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games