Reply 51: Philosophy.
what if... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dragonkin991

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:06 pm
This is a thread in which you can plainy state whatever the hell you want.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:08 pm
So......
I've always wondered why things are called what they are. Like salt and pepper, why not switch them to make salt be pepper and vice versa? How did these names come to be?  

dragonkin991

MollyFlogginz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:21 pm
what if, since supposedly every time you make a decision an alternate universe is formed, what if when you die your soul simply moves on to the next universe you created?
-shrugs- sounds like fun to me

and what if we actually figure out what the hell is going on?
what if people like Bridey Murphy actually find out what happens once we die? and then tells the world, who then changes everything about themselves because now we know just what is waiting for us?
would the world fall into chaos because the balance between knowning and not knowing has tipped?
would the gods of the universe throw us into oblivion to start all over again?

what if all the gods we believe in, YHWH and Allah and Zeus, what if they were all the same guy, the same god, he just introduced himself to us differently. For the Christians he said "I am God, this is my son Jesus."
for the Muslims he said "I am Allah, this is my son Mohammed"
and of course for the Greeks he said "I am Zeus, this is my son Hercules"
"My son has come to save you."
what if that's the case?
then no body is screwed, there is no Hell, it's all just one guy telling us different stories so everyone gets what they want...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:56 pm
MollyFlogginz
what if, since supposedly every time you make a decision an alternate universe is formed, what if when you die your soul simply moves on to the next universe you created?

what if people like Bridey Murphy actually find out what happens once we die? and then tells the world, who then changes everything about themselves because now we know just what is waiting for us?
would the world fall into chaos because the balance between knowning and not knowing has tipped?

what if all the gods we believe in, YHWH and Allah and Zeus, what if they were all the same guy, the same god, he just introduced himself to us differently. For the Christians he said "I am God, this is my son Jesus."
what if that's the case?
then no body is screwed, there is no Hell, it's all just one guy telling us different stories so everyone gets what they want...

That's pretty good, i enjoyed reading that, I mean i think the exact same way, what if the world was really something controled by a different force? Like what if we are microscopic to some type of alien?  

dragonkin991

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:04 pm
MollyFlogginz

what if that's the case?
I always thought that if there is a god, that's what he/she/it would be.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:12 pm
yeah so have i.  

dragonkin991

Silent_Simone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:44 pm
MollyFlogginz

what if that's the case?

that would be awesome and it sort of is since we call the ancient Greeks' beliefs mythology...^^  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:46 pm

The first thing reminds me of the scene in The Matrix where they discuss the tastes of food and why everything is said to taste like chicken. xp The next post, I don't know off the top of my head who the guy in the first thing is but the second thing is actually the premise of a real named religion. They believe exactly that - that if there were a god it wouldn't make sense to sense to send in strangers to people so each place and people got sent some type of version suited to their society. As for the microscopic universe, that reminds me of the Men In Black movie...

What if at some point in the future, maybe even just like tomorrow, suddenly no more people were ever born or ever died again after that point? Imagine, with all the time in the world literally and no new people coming in who have to keep being brought up to speed or people dropping out of the picture how much progress people would be able to, almost forced to, make...
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

bluecherry
Vice Captain

dragonkin991

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:15 pm
wow, thats pretty good and yeah that would make us get so much more done  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:30 am
What if what I see as "red" is the color you actually see as my "blue" ? What if when you see "blue" I really see your "green" ? We simply agree that what we see is a certain color, even if we aren't seeing the same thing. Same with people, when you see someone, we assume everyone sees the same thing. what if we dont?  

dfadsfasdferwer

dragonkin991

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:12 pm
akanbro
What if what I see as "red" is the color you actually see as my "blue" ? What if when you see "blue" I really see your "green" ? We simply agree that what we see is a certain color, even if we aren't seeing the same thing. Same with people, when you see someone, we assume everyone sees the same thing. what if we dont?

wow I completely know what you're talking about and I wonder that myself sometimes.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:27 pm

Hehe, I've heard that colors one before and do find it amusing. whee It's saying basically that we all agree on the same name for colors, but see the colors differently, like we all see an orange and agree it's color is "orange" -- but one of us sees "orange" as what the other sees "blue" as and how the other sees the color "red" as and so on. It also reminds me of the scene in the Matrix where they're discussing how robots knew what food tasted like and what if what they thought this one cereal tasted like was really how something like some fish tasted like. I think what could probably throw this idea off though about the colors is by having people look and colors and then doing scans on their brains to see which optical stimuluses will stimulate which areas of the brain. If everybody looking at "green" has the same area of the brain register the color, then everybody is seeing and registering the color the same way. Also, even if brain examinations aren't done, you could just examen the formations of the eyes themselves and since all normal eyes are formed the same way, it follows they would function the same way, hence all "blue" looks like blue, all "red" looks like red and so on.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

bluecherry
Vice Captain

nonnos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:31 am
It's a very interesting discussion going on here.I've always thought about all the topics that was brought up here.

1-Languages and the names they assign for things:There're different theories about the beginiong of languages.A gift from the Lord od a gradual development.The gift theory assumes that Allah had introduced different names into human minds.The other one supposes that each human group agreed on some words and invented other words gradually.It's very easy to imagine that we could have known pepper as salt and vice versa.

2-God,The One and Only:I've always thought like this.People worship the same god but they gave him different names.They're too arrogant to admit that.By the way,muslims believe that Muhammad and other holy prophets are the messengers of God not his sons.Anyway,muslims believe in all the previous heavenly-sent prophets so they stand for the idea of the same God.

3-Aliens:I always believed in them.I've imagined every way you can think of,including that we're microscopic organisms.

4-Colors preception:I've always thought of that too.What if our cones act the same way but our brains interpret it differently.It's possible.We have different judgements on things.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:18 pm
What is it that makes people think and feel? I mean, are people born with a conscience for right and wrong, or is that something that grows in yourself as you get older?

Also, why is it so hard to not think? Everytime I try to think absolutely nothing, I end up thinking something like: Don't think!, or I should turn on the tv. I ponder how the monks do it...

Though my religion is muslim, I agree that all religions are generally the same. After all, Allah, Zeus, God, or whatever we call him/her, is just another name.

Calimouse

nonnos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:26 am
Calimouse
Also, why is it so hard to not think? Everytime I try to think absolutely nothing, I end up thinking something like: Don't think!, or I should turn on the tv. I ponder how the monks do it...

Though my religion is muslim, I agree that all religions are generally the same. After all, Allah, Zeus, God, or whatever we call him/her, is just another name.

One of the first memories of my childhood is me trying not to think.I ended up with the same conclusion:IT'S IMPOSSIBLE.Even during sleep as most of our systems are put to its minimal work,You always think..Dreams,I mean.I've always found this amazing..  
51: Philosophy.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff