Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
You know what pisses me off, and how I piss people off? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ll Sarcasm ll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:40 pm
OH, A REMINDER TO THE FLAMERS ON THIS THREAD. I AM A GRAMMAR b***h.
SO YOU KNOW WHAT? ******** DEAL WITH IT.

Yeah...
No.
My friends don't HATE me, but I get so pissed off when they say "me and my friends" or "u" on msn.
This is a talk between my friend and I.
Myself: Hey, how are you?
Her: im fine thxx urself?
Myself: I believe the correct grammar, spelling & puncuation is ''I'm fine thanks, yourself?"
Her: Bye.

See how I piss people off when I correct them?
What pisses ME off is when I see roleplays, and people go
"Be at least semi-literate to literate. Seriously, good grammer is always good"
I think she's missing something.
DOES NO ONE know how to spell grammar? sad
What about you? What pisses you off and how you piss people off?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:50 pm
My friend gets really mad when I correct her grammar. She says she knows proper grammar and uses it when writing papers, but she has the right to NOT use it in her everyday speech. She says it is an infringement of her rights for me to correct her speech. I know she does it just to annoy me, but it works!  

anonymouschocoholic

4,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200

Malbeur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:35 pm
ll Sarcasm ll

You know what I think is funny? The proper grammar for your sentence is actually, "this is a talk between my friend and me."  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:56 pm
my god... talk about the grammar nazi thread!

anyways, that first post just reminded me of an actual conversation held between me and my two friends over lunch

Me: YAY! Pizza! :: munches happily on said pizza::
Him: I wonder what I should get. I feal like a taco, but maby I should get a burito...
Me and my other friend: You feal like a taco?
Everyone else listening to the conversation: ::dies laughing::

By the way,
parden my bad spelling. I was never good at it but at least I try. And yes, I know there are several words in this post spelled wrong, I just don't know how to spell them correctly.  

red_moon_wolfess

Gachetemas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:51 pm
red_moon_wolfess
I just don't know how to spell them correctly.

*Throws big-o dictionary at your head.* Hoser.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:43 pm
Malbeur
ll Sarcasm ll

You know what I think is funny? The proper grammar for your sentence is actually, "this is a talk between my friend and me."

Indeed.

Way to be a total b***h, Sarcasm.  

The Man who was Thursday

xXblacksakuraXx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:29 am
I must admit, I used to use incorrigable grammar in every activity on the internet...even blogs. Then I went away to summer camp, came back, and read my blogs. For some reason, going away for two weeks made me realize the errors of my heinous ways.

So yeah. Ever since, I don't believe I've tolerated a proper 'I' or anything else of that sort.

It's not as though I didn't know how to type correctly, either...I'm the head of my advanced English class. It remains a mystery to me.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:34 am
They just don't care as much. I don't really mind it all that much, but if it's continuous, or just absolutely horrible, then it bugs me.  

Rho Contour

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:52 am
red_moon_wolfess, capitalize the beginnings of your sentences, please.

I'm too much of a wuss to correct people myself. I just try to lead by example.

"Grammar" is a very difficult word for most people. I even had to look it up to make certain I was spelling it correctly when DarkElf27 and I started the guild.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:46 pm
Wow, you sound like a total grammar b***h. MSN is fine to talk like that. IT leads to less typing because your hands will feel better. Typing isn't exactly a fun experience after awhile.
Just because people aren't as good as you doesn't mean they should be corrected. Talk is for fun activity, not for insufferable robot personalities.  

The Traveling Pikmin

Dreyja

4,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:01 pm
rofl

This thread, originally posted, it seems, to talk about yourself and what you do that pisses people off, has become a thread for pissing everyone else off.

We all make mistakes, sure, but that doesn't mean you need to jump down their throats about it. Maybe try being a little more polite.

It really makes me mad when someone doesn't speak English as their first language, and confuses things like 'your' and 'you're', and people insist on bitching nonstop about it. I figure that as long as the person is trying their best, you should maybe be a little more lenient. I mean, helpful suggestions are great and all, but that doesn't mean you should make them feel like total s**t.

Also, the "me and my friend", and the "my friend and I" rule, it works like this, correct?:

If you take off "and my friend" or "my friend and", it should still make sense.
"My friend and I went to a movie" . . . "I went to a movie"
Not:
"Me and my friend went to a movie" . . . "Me went to a movie"

Am I right?
I'm not trying to be smart, I'm just making sure my information is correct.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:01 pm
And I believe the correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation is: "I'm fine, thanks; you?"  

The Man who was Thursday

Missy Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:03 pm
Ezra Pound
Malbeur
ll Sarcasm ll

Indeed.

(laughs at conversation)

I got corrected by an elementary school kid once because I said, "Me and Stacey." I laughed. What was I going to do? Get angry at the kid for practicing proper grammar?

Anyway, text talk on AIM is easier because it's faster. It's not exactly a measure of intelligence if you write out every little punctuation mark while you IM. Heck, I even use text talk on AIM just because it's easier to use. I'm a lazy one.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:11 pm
What bugs me is when someone uses the acronyms in text talk in real like...such as LOL or WTF. It makes me slightly....irritated. Anyways, that is my take on things. As for the rest of you, its okay on AIM and MSN to use text talk, thats the whole reason it is called text talk. It just isn't okay anywhere else such as in blogs or forums.

Peace!  

Midnight_Kitten6216

ll Sarcasm ll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:32 pm
Ezra Pound
Malbeur
ll Sarcasm ll

Indeed.

Congradulations, now you shall feel guilty for the rest of you're life by calling an 11 year old girl a b***h.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff