Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Crochet help

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:50 pm
K, so I got yarn to make a blanket. I would love to do small squares, (30x30 stitches, 10mm hook) then connect them, so I can more easily carry it around as I work on it. ^^ I dont know many stiches, though, and have no clue how to connect the squares. I would be fine using basic stitches for the squares, but does anyone know of a good method to connect the squares that uses rather simple stitches?

(and can anyone recommend a good book for learning new stitches from? My mom has forgotten most she learned when she was young, hence my lack of knowledge)

Pictures would be great help is possible, as I am a very visual learner. ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:19 pm
Silver Mist
K, so I got yarn to make a blanket. I would love to do small squares, (30x30 stitches, 10mm hook) then connect them, so I can more easily carry it around as I work on it. ^^ I dont know many stiches, though, and have no clue how to connect the squares. I would be fine using basic stitches for the squares, but does anyone know of a good method to connect the squares that uses rather simple stitches?

(and can anyone recommend a good book for learning new stitches from? My mom has forgotten most she learned when she was young, hence my lack of knowledge)

Pictures would be great help is possible, as I am a very visual learner. ^^

I like crocheting things together. You just hold two squares together and crochet along the edge through both layers. All done! I think it makes a nice, clean finish.

I used the Reader's Digest guide to Needlecrafts to learn new crochet stitches, but I know there's a billion books out there that have more crochet content and might explain better.  

Catcheen
Crew

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:45 pm
Granny squares are good for stuff like that (I've med two afgans in the style). Your YLS or amazon should have a stitch dictionary, which will explain the different pattern stitchesl, such as the Granny square, or the shell stitch. I've always just sewn my afgans together with a yarn needle. I think it's quicker than trying to crochet them together.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:03 pm
Granny squares are usually either sewn or crocheted together. You can sew them just like you would sew seams on a garment, through the top loops of the crochet.

As someone already said you can hold them together and single crochet all the squares, or (one of my favs) single crochet in a stitch of square one, chain 1, single crochet in stitch os square 2, chain 1, skip a stitch and single crochet in next stitch of square 1 and so on.

I have an old booklet from Lesiure arts called something like "Afghans A to Z which has 26 afghans and a whole dictionary of afghan techniques. Though I haven't seen that book out in a long time, Most of the new afghan booklets (which are pretty cheap and easily found at craft stores) will not only have patterns but tricks of the trade in the back.

Good luck!!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:10 am
YourAzureGoddess

As someone already said you can hold them together and single crochet all the squares, or (one of my favs) single crochet in a stitch of square one, chain 1, single crochet in stitch os square 2, chain 1, skip a stitch and single crochet in next stitch of square 1 and so on.

I must confess to having no clue what that means... sweatdrop

I dont do alot of crochet, so I"m not used to the terms.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:44 pm
oh! Second question- to simply crochet the squares together, do they have to be basic stitch, or can they be double stitch? The squares themselves that is.  

Silver Mist

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:15 pm
Silver Mist
oh! Second question- to simply crochet the squares together, do they have to be basic stitch, or can they be double stitch? The squares themselves that is.

As long as there's a hole to stick the hook in, you can crochet them together. *grin* In other words, squares in any stitch can be joined this way.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:01 pm
Try Stitch n b***h Happy Hooker. That's the book that finally taught me to crochet, and I swear by it. 3nodding

And for if you want to use crochet blocks to make an afghan there's a book that has a bunch of different blocks in there that you could sew together. It's 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Sweaters and Afghans by Jan Eaton.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Smillaaraq

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:48 pm
Catcheen
I used the Reader's Digest guide to Needlecrafts to learn new crochet stitches, but I know there's a billion books out there that have more crochet content and might explain better.

There are zillions of crochet books and pamphlets out there -- but if you're interested in lots of different types of needlework, that Reader's Digest book is a really nice introduction to lots of different crafts along with crochet -- there are sections on knitting, quilting, all sorts of embroidery, lots of fun stuff! And it's been in print for a long time, so if you don't mind getting an older version with somewhat dated illustrations, you can get used copies really cheaply online. (The stitch diagrams and instructions work just fine even if some of the photographs are scary 1970s stuff! 4laugh )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:57 am
Stitch N' b***h Happy Hooker (Debbie Stoller) is great. There are also two craft store books that are good - I Taught Myself to Crochet (Boye company) and I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting! (Leisure Arts) that give nice visual instructions for both lefties and righties.

The last two will show you how to stitch sections together, but Happy Hooker can also show you how to crocet sections together.  

Brunette_Star

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:22 am
Thank you, everyone, for your help. ^^ I got my scarf finsihed and the first square of my blanket done friday. Now, to start a bright purple scarf and finish the blanket. xd If my curent case of perma-nervss/anxiety attacks keeps up, I'm going to be getting alot done, because it helps calm me down.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games