Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
I am getting rather angry with the word "ain't"... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

americananimefan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:33 pm
People use different words to make it easier to type, correct? Well, that is annoying, but what I find more annoying is when people use "ain't". It is no easier than the word "isn't". It's just so annoying and makes my eyes bleed. Those type of things were clearly invented for the sole purpose of annoying people. Does anyone else feel this way?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:52 pm
It's easier than the words "am not" and "are not" and "is not", and it adds some colour to your speech.  

The Man who was Thursday

XxJennessaxX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:18 pm
I absolutely hate seeing it on test papers!
Thank goodness today was ballroom dancing! stressed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:11 pm
Ain't is better than isn't. That's what I'm saying. It sounds so cool >.<  

The Traveling Pikmin

americananimefan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:31 pm
Maybe. But it isn't a real word.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:38 pm
americananimefan
Maybe. But it isn't a real word.

It's been around since the 1700s.  

The Man who was Thursday

TiagoBrazil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:53 pm
The word ain't made it in to the first several editions of Websters. So it is a word and has been around for a while. It is the combination of am & not.

Example.

I ain't a cowboy.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:15 pm
I sometimes use that word. But, I usually use isn't or something like that.  

Exiled_In_Silence

Marcus McFlufferson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:20 am
There's nothing wrong with changing text to fit to a person's speech style.
As long as they're fully punctuated to what could be assumed as correct..
Which 'ain't' is.
biggrin

Allows you to see a person, not a wall of text.

I'm also starting to find speech imperfections quite endearing in real speech.
Anyone ever see Firefly?
xd

(I guess you would have to have seen it to get me there..)  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:54 am
The word 'ain't' is a word and besides most people from the south like to use the word 'ain't' because it's part of their herritage and honestly, I don't see what all this fuss is about just because someone gets ticked off at people for expressing their herritage through speach and grammer. Some of our greatest comedians use the word 'ain't' and no one complains.
Examples:
Jeff Foxworthy
Larry The Cable Guy
Bill Engvall
Ron White
e.t.c.

__X__Naomi__X__

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:04 am
I also get annoyed when people use ain't too, and believe me here, in this city I live in, it gets used a lot. My friends and I have fun talking all messed up with words like ain't, 'sup, etc.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:24 am
__X__Naomi__X__
The word 'ain't' is a word and besides most people from the south like to use the word 'ain't' because it's part of their herritage and honestly, I don't see what all this fuss is about just because someone gets ticked off at people for expressing their herritage through speach and grammer. Some of our greatest comedians use the word 'ain't' and no one complains.
Examples:
Jeff Foxworthy
Larry The Cable Guy
Bill Engvall
Ron White
e.t.c.

The Blue Collar Comedy Tour people are hacks. They keep reusing stale old stories and never come up with anything new anymore. They sicken me.  

The Man who was Thursday

__X__Naomi__X__

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:08 am
Ezra Pound
__X__Naomi__X__
Examples:
Jeff Foxworthy
Larry The Cable Guy
Bill Engvall
Ron White
e.t.c.

The Blue Collar Comedy Tour people are hacks. They keep reusing stale old stories and never come up with anything new anymore. They sicken me.

They use those 'stale old stories' and tell them to people who haven't heard them and personaly they are one of many comedians i like but lets not wander too much away from the subject here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:23 pm
__X__Naomi__X__
Ezra Pound
__X__Naomi__X__
Examples:
Jeff Foxworthy
Larry The Cable Guy
Bill Engvall
Ron White
e.t.c.

They use those 'stale old stories' and tell them to people who haven't heard them and personaly they are one of many comedians i like but lets not wander too much away from the subject here.

But that gets so boring. They never come up with new material. If people like a show, they can find older recordings of the comedian on their own.  

The Man who was Thursday

diabloking378

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:09 pm
I don't use it alot but sometimes it just sounds right.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff