Waking Life
  Is an awesome movie
  Is a movie I must see
  *smacks Nihl* (Jameta option)
View Results

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:41 pm
I have made it a personal goal for 2007 to increase my capability to have lucid dreams. Essentially, this involves training your mind to not only recognize a dream situation, but to get into the habit of asking yourself if you're in a dream to begin with. I attempt to do this, but it is quite hard, and am thinking of adding on some magical help.

As it is, I try to remember to cast a circle around my bed charged with the intent on fostering lucid dreams, but it's not going so well.

So now I turn to you all. So far, I just have a vague idea of going to see Morpheus (damn, there's Nyx popping up again, maybe I should see her as well.) and asking for advice and help. I want all your suggestion - crystals associated with dreams, other deities, funny stories, everything related to dreams.

Don't touch Jameta's poll option of I smite you and reset the poll. This is a direct order from one of your mods! stressed  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:54 pm
This is a toughie on me because I'm pretty much always aware when I'm dreaming. It's hard NOT to be given how many of my dreams bear little to no resemblence to this particular reality. I don't usually excersise much control over them though; I usually find it more interesting to just let things play out on their own. There are a few things though that I find I tend to do regularly anyway in spite of myself. I almost always have telekinesis. Instead of getting up to go get something; the object tends to come to me. sweatdrop And often I can hover/fly across the ground too. It's this rather neat floaty sensation. I like it. whee

So... er... the best way to lucid dream is to just have dreams that bear no resemblance to your waking life. Heh.  

Starlock
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:15 pm
Starlock
This is a toughie on me because I'm pretty much always aware when I'm dreaming. It's hard NOT to be given how many of my dreams bear little to no resemblence to this particular reality. I don't usually excersise much control over them though; I usually find it more interesting to just let things play out on their own. There are a few things though that I find I tend to do regularly anyway in spite of myself. I almost always have telekinesis. Instead of getting up to go get something; the object tends to come to me. sweatdrop And often I can hover/fly across the ground too. It's this rather neat floaty sensation. I like it. whee

So... er... the best way to lucid dream is to just have dreams that bear no resemblance to your waking life. Heh.
You have no idea how jealous I am right now gonk

I've had a total of two lucid dreams, one of which lasted about 5 minutes of dream-time (I walked down a street and talked to some people) before I forgot that it was a dream.

It takes a lot to jog me out of a dream though. It has to be similar enough to real life, but different enough that I notice it.

Have you tried exploring the metaphysics of dreaming yet?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:20 am
I can only Lucid dream on purpose if i fall asleep in ameditation. Like I do a medition with the intent of falling asleep. That usualy works for me. i do alot of Lucid dreaming, thats the only place I can can contact my spirit guid (mostly) but sometimes it just happens. Though when I plan on lucid dreaming Its like i control everything at once and I can't keep the walls of the house from bauckling out or falling over so I have to imagine giant safety pins to try to keep everything together. When I lucid with no real intent things get wonky and though iknowi'm dreaming I can't control it. But when everything is dandy and not pointless i'm a super acrobat. I can just like jump and do handstands. no magic powers T.T not even in lucid dreaming.  

Juna Lu

Dapper Lunatic

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:19 am
What sort of meditation do you use?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:03 am
Usualy just clearing the mind and breathing. Sometimes i will focus purely on what thing I want to be the subject when I fall asleep. then the falling asleep bit is easy ~.^ took me soooo long to learn to not fall asleep while meditating, that it makes me chuckle every time I plan on falling asleep durring it.  

Juna Lu

Dapper Lunatic

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:23 am
My aunt used to sell a specialty tea that was supposed to promote lucid dreams; I have no idea who the company was wa the tea name was actually "Lucid Dream". I've never had much luck with lucid dreaming; I managed to pull it off a couple of times during nightmares to turn the dream around and get myself some help, but that's been it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:48 pm
I've had very few lucid dreams, but many times, even when I'm not lucid, I feel and I know in the very back of my mind that it's not reality. Sometimes, I can gain a little control over my dreams when I draw out that gut feeling that tells me it's only a dream. It doesn't happen too often, but the key is to try to remind yourself it's only a dream. Do I sound confusing? Ookay, lemme try to re-explain that....

Most of the time, when I dream, I DO know that' it's only a dream, but only vaguely. The fact that it's only a dream is kind of hidden in the back of my mind, and when I become just a little lucid, I can tug out that knowledge from the back of my mind and become fully lucid. But, like I said, it's pretty rare. However, I don't stay lucid for very long, and when I realize I can control my world, everything suddenly becomes just a little scary (maybe because of the fact that my imagination is half-filled with dark/negative/downright scary thoughts, and I'm afraid some monster is gonna jump in and chase me again).

Also, there's another method that I read somewhere that was tried by scientists or something, but I don't remember the exact website. What you do is (while you're dreaming) you spin around. Just spin. Or twirl. Or maybe jump. It'll help you gain lucidity, or if you're already lucid, it'll help you stay lucid. But yeah, I haven't tried, sooo....

Or if you haven't tried already, I find that stating "I will have a lucid dream" or "I will become lucid in my dream", etc. before going to bed really helps a lot. Just stating it outright (and it has to be out loud) increases your chances greatly.  

Kuroyue

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:15 pm
my boyfriend has lucid dreams but not me =( i only remember ever having one when i was like 14. I like to use Lavender and tea tree oil with the intent to root out all of the meaningless dreams and have prophetic dreams so it might help with the lucid if used for that reason.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:18 pm
When I tried to lucid dream, (as in did and just have them now on a rare occasion) I just made a tea mixture of different things, like camomille, crushed eucalyptus, some rosemary, mint, lemon juice, lavender, peppermint and a small piece of orange rind, and of course, I put that all in a tea ball, then just when I poured it in my cup, in would crush up a bit of vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon, put in enough to cover my spoon and pour it into my spoon and let it fill up my cup, then I would put in 5 grains of sugar, in the motion of a star, stir it, then drink it. I'd then lay down in the middle of wherever I put my magic circle, (I normally can't keep it in the same spot), and soon after I would get very relaxed, then start to lucid dream.  

Aquajade

Rioto_Kish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:16 pm
Sorry, I just wiki-ed lucid dreaming, and it said that it's where you know you're dreaming, so you can control the dream. How do you control your dream? It seems to be a popular topic, and I was wondering why lucid dreaming is so coveted. Is it used for magical work, or something similar? Or is it just a desired skill?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:08 am
Nihilistic Seraph
You have no idea how jealous I am right now gonk

Eh, don't be. As I said, most of the time I really just let them play out anyway unless something really goes wrong, like this morning. At some point in the dream I made a mental note to 'save' that spot in time so I could go back to it in case I screwed up the escape from the lich. I did, went back to the 'save point' I marked, started over, and got away the second time. And damn... that lich was creepy. I've never dreampt of a lich before. It made no contextual sense with the character I was in that dream. sweatdrop

So maybe that'd help you. Make a mental 'save' spot in the game... er... dream to go back to later. A 'rewind' command might make more sense to you if you don't play many video games though. Heh. That kinda answers Rioto's question too.. You control dreams just by... doing it. Sometimes you can plug in mental markers like the 'save' spot I mentioned. Usually I don't do that though... I just will it to happen. There's a certain sensation associated with it that I can't really put into words. Your will isn't *always* translated into serious manipulation of the dreamscape though. For example, in another dream this morning I was looking for someone but never did find them.

Nihilistic Seraph
Have you tried exploring the metaphysics of dreaming yet?

Not a lot, really. What sorts of things relate to it? Some stuff in that arena of 'altered states of consciousness' my brain has trouble digesting on certain levels. sweatdrop

To Rioto's other question on why lucid dreaming is so coveted... yeah, I suppose some DO use it for journeywork in the otherworlds. They set a very specific goal and then have a dream relating to that. I've done that on a few occasions but overall it's often more interesting to just let the powers bring to you what they will.  

Starlock
Crew

Juna Lu

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:50 pm
Rioto_Kish
Sorry, I just wiki-ed lucid dreaming, and it said that it's where you know you're dreaming, so you can control the dream. How do you control your dream? It seems to be a popular topic, and I was wondering why lucid dreaming is so coveted. Is it used for magical work, or something similar? Or is it just a desired skill?

Its the only way I can contact my spirit guid and one of my more testy familars. itsa helpfull skill, and if you know what you want to find out you can recieve information that would otherwise bu unatanable, you can pretty much tapp into your inate esp stuff I guess.

on a side note some people say your mind or soul naturaly leaves your body and visits other planes every night when you dream.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:15 pm
Juna Lu
Rioto_Kish

Its the only way I can contact my spirit guid and one of my more testy familars. itsa helpfull skill, and if you know what you want to find out you can recieve information that would otherwise bu unatanable, you can pretty much tapp into your inate esp stuff I guess.

on a side note some people say your mind or soul naturaly leaves your body and visits other planes every night when you dream.

Your soul leaving your body is called astral travel (when you're doing it on purpose). I've heard that you actually astral travel every night when you dream. Your astral body enters the astral plane, and I've heard that sometimes you can encounter personal symbols that you need to interpret. If you're mentally unwell in the slightest ( scared, depressed, anxious, etc.) then creatures like to come and scare you back into your own body or keep you out of your body, so you have to stay as emotionless and calm as possible. There's like a mantra and a certain gesture used to keep the nasty figures away, but I kinda forgot. I never got that far anyway. And THEN some say that you can meet some really extraordinary (divine?) people there.

When you lucid dream, you can project yourself onto the astral plane (which looks exactly like reality, except maybe even more real) by concentrating hard and visualizing clearly and accurately a place you want to go to. If you get there, you'll know because you can fly and go through walls and stretch your body in weird ways (since I guess your astral body is like elastic?) I've tried to do that, but I forgot to visualize a destination, and I ended up falling into a black empty space and conjuring up another dream after the previous one broke. sad

Oookay I gotta stop rambling again. xd  

Kuroyue

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:50 pm
Juna Lu
Usualy just clearing the mind and breathing. Sometimes i will focus purely on what thing I want to be the subject when I fall asleep. then the falling asleep bit is easy ~.^ took me soooo long to learn to not fall asleep while meditating, that it makes me chuckle every time I plan on falling asleep durring it.
Hmm, I shall try that tonight then. It's going to be hard not to let my mind wander xp  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff