Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Covens

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MaleficentSnape

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:53 pm
I am fortunate that some friends and I are starting a coven. So I was just curious if any of you have ever been in a coven. If so, share (generically, of course) some of your experiences. What was good about the coven? What needed work in the coven? And what things should my group be on the lookout for within the coven?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:28 pm
MaleficentSnape
I am fortunate that some friends and I are starting a coven. So I was just curious if any of you have ever been in a coven. If so, share (generically, of course) some of your experiences. What was good about the coven? What needed work in the coven? And what things should my group be on the lookout for within the coven?

I have been in 2 covens, and I am still in the second. The great thing about the first on was that it allowed a lot of diversity, the thing that needed work was the fact that so many people came to teach about thier path, but didn't want to learn about anyone elses. Needless to say that one dissapated.

The second one on the other hand started off good, and it was small and a lot more open, it had open rituals, whereas the other one had only closed rituals. The good thing about it being small was that we were all on a very informal basis with each other. Many of the people in it knew the other members beyond the coven. The problem was...fluffies, there is no easy way to put it. They tryed joining over and over again, expecting everyone else to spend all the money, and do all the hard stuff, and they just skipped everything except the spellwork.

I would thiink about this before I really started the coven going: Why did you start it? How long have you been practicing? Will you be able to be the head of it and teach people? Most importantly are you able to devote the time and energy used to keep it running? A coven is a full time responsbility, and as the creator and leader it is your job to take care of any problems.

If you are able to answer all these, and with good answers, then a coven is probably a good idea. Keep it in mind that it will be hard to get it going...

Besides that I commend you for taking the time to starta coven!
I heart EIRE  

ILuvEire

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:44 am
Don't make it too ambitious, that was a flaw that was in the circle I was in before. As well, a coven requires a leader I believe, if it's a more egalitarian grouping, it's more of a circle that anything else.

Set a time each month, or each two weeks or so that you'll meet to do something. Doesn't have to be for a certain aim, you can just do a cone of power or something for the benefit of humanity, and it will help you guys get used to working with each other, or keep yourselfs used to working with each other. Regularity is the key here 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:13 am
nope, I'm the only Pagan around here sad ,anyone know of a Coven in the Hendricks Co IN, area?  

DracoJesi

Aquajade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:25 pm
I haven't been in a coven. I might join one, but I don't know, it just depends on if there is one around where I live.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:42 pm
DracoJesi
nope, I'm the only Pagan around here sad ,anyone know of a Coven in the Hendricks Co IN, area?

*gasp* There are pagans in IN???

Just kidding. My summer home (I'm in college) is in the Indy metro area. I have no real intention of starting a coven, especially considering the environment, but it is nice to know other people share the faith.

With that said, have you ever checked out a free newspaper called "Branches"? It comes out every two months and has spiritual events around Indiana, from drumming circles to festivals to workshops. It could be useful.  

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Battle: KO 200

Friagne The Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:18 am
I am interested in joining a coven but since I live in the chicagoland area of Illinois I am not sure where to start looking. The nearest one I have heard of is in Wisconsin and not an easy place to get to..  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:48 am
Rei Kuchiki
I am interested in joining a coven but since I live in the chicagoland area of Illinois I am not sure where to start looking. The nearest one I have heard of is in Wisconsin and not an easy place to get to..

You could go to Witch's Voice and look there, they have a feature that can help you look for a coven.

I plan to join one in the future, it's hard now being a freshman in highschool, and in a small rural town where most everyone is Christian. I plan to look for covens in a few years, maybe after I start driving so I don't have to worry about transportation.  

born2rock16

Ayla Skye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:01 am
While in college I helped try to start a pagan 'club'. I don't know how successful it was because I was only there for one year and it is in up state NY. I live in south eastern MA so it is also difficult to get there. After that my friend, who I've been basically practicing with since we started, and I found one that was very nice. It was open to everyone and talked about a lot of different things. They also had regular rituals. However we had both moved away and couldn't go. When we both moved back to the area the coven had disbanded due to the fact the leader couldn't do it anymore. It took about 6 months to make the decission but we desided to take over leadership and restart the coven. It is very much like the first but we are just starting so It's not as good yet. It is a lot of work and we only meet once a month. However we are thinking about uping it to twice a month.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:57 am
My only advice is no dating with in the coven. I had a circle once, very informal mind you, It wasn't realy a coven since none of us practiced wiccan circle magic very often, but we did do workings. when we did My close friend who lived near by and was male would act as preist and prestess. he started going out with another girl in the group and wouldn't let him be the priest with me anymore, which caused some drama, when we would actualy want to do a traditional ritual (Halloween and the spring solstice mostly.) Becuase of that and the fact that he moved away is the reason why we've sorta disbanded. We all still talk and discuss things and help eachother we just don't meet anymore. thus my advice, No dating amongst coven memebers.  

Juna Lu

Dapper Lunatic

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces