Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who likes money?
  I do, I do
View Results

saotomi5102

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:04 am
If you have read it, what did you think? I loved it. I thought it maintained a healthy plot and had no extreme plot twists that came out of the blue.

I recommend that you recommend the trilogy.
If you didn't know, the order goes: Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen.
There is a hard copy series and a paperback that look nothing alike.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:23 pm
I read Sabriel and Lirael, and loved them both, but Abhorsen seemed to drag on a bit too much in the beginning. I guess I just started to get bored with the series. Garth Nix is one of my favorite authors though. Has anyone read 'The Wind Singer'?  

Surgical Precision

the Great Gnu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:36 pm
Wow, I didn't even know that Garth Nix had any more books.

I'm going to have to find them and read them. Assuming it is plural.

Anyways, the Abhorsen trilogy was great. He maintained a steady pace and made characters, rather than characatures (spelling?)  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:37 pm
I loved the first two, but I never read Abhorsen. How is it, in comparison?

Yeah, they had great characters, and the plot wasn't as wacky as other Sci-Fi books. 3nodding  

Miko_Sohma

choirperson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:23 pm
I really liked that series.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:59 am
The Abhorsen Trilogy is definitely one of my favorite series. I liked the novel ideas that he came up with. The plots weren't the same, but different in the three books. I also really liked the characers (the Irreputable Dog was awesome... or was is Irrefutable? I don't remember....)

Garth Nix started a new series concerning the days of the week that I've been trying to read. However, my public library works against me.  

ImaginationRunningWild

Rich Uncle Pennybags

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:05 am
Sabriel was an amazing book and the first that I thought was more than just okay. Lirael was even better! I'm on Abhrosen right now and I really do love it, I didn't go to sleep untill 1 A.M. from reading it.
Garth Nix is a wonderful artist with his words. And his other series are just as good.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:46 pm
They were absolutely some of the best books ever. I have to say that he does have a great number of other books, but I liked those the best. He has a minature epilogue to the story in his collection of short stories which I believe is called Over the Wall. Or something like that. Very interesting writer. I think he has a series for younger readers as well.  

Rutoh-Chan

randomfuzzy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:30 am
I loved that series. His new one, with the days of the week, is good as well.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:24 am
Do you know what the title of the new one is? I haven't seen it.  

Rutoh-Chan

strangerthanfiction

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:46 pm
Everything I've read by Garth Nix is great, he's just that type of author, you know what I mean? I've read the trilogy, although not in order sweatdrop . It was an accident. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:47 pm
I loved those books so much that I wanted to make my username Astarael when I first started.  

Imsomewhatspiffy

Kali Eyad

Ruthless Ladykiller

9,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:38 pm
Rutoh-Chan
Do you know what the title of the new one is? I haven't seen it.

The series is called Keys to the Kingdom. The books are Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday, Drowned Wednesday, Sir Thursday and Lady Friday. I can't find a book out for Saturday and Sunday.

My favorite of the Abhorsen trilogy was the first book, Sabriel. Lirael was pretty good, but I didn't care that much for the last book Abhorsen.

I prefered his stand alone books. Shade's Children is probably my favorite of his books, and then the Ragwitch was really good too.

The children's series The Seventh Tower is pretty good too.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:31 pm
I've only read Sabriel, and with one exception, it was excellent. Well-planned world, nice magic system, and a plot that twists, but not so much that it's a soap opera. I think that Sabriel is a bit of a clichéd character... am I the only one? Does it get better as the series goes on?  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

xXBisexual FlanXx

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:33 pm
I have to say, I loved Sabriel, and Abhorsen. However, I found that, in Lirael, it seemed like Garth Nix was just killing time until the big finish. Also, I found Sam a fairly childish and bratty character. I just didn't like him. Seeing as he's 17, I don't think he should have a problem with telling his mom he didn't want to be the Abhorsen. Maybe if he was 13 or 14, but not 17.  
Literature

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games