Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Tackling that first sock

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:37 am
Ok, I've decided to try knitting socks. I'm doing them toe-up and I'm almost to the part where I turn the heel. Now, I'm not following any pattern (stupid me! sweatdrop ), but at least it looks like a sock so far and it fits well. The question is... do any of you know any REALLY GREAT sites on how to turn a heel from the toe-up perspective? Also, do you know any sites on a great way to bind off the ankle when I'm done. My binding off doesn't have the best elasticity. emo  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:57 am
Well I know if youre worried about your BO being too tight, try using a bigger needle. As for sock help, I think knitty.com has something on it. I can't remember, i dont pay attention to sock patterns cuz im too distracted by the sweaters >.>;;  

gemini6184

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:06 pm
Peppermint Elf
Ok, I've decided to try knitting socks. I'm doing them toe-up and I'm almost to the part where I turn the heel. Now, I'm not following any pattern (stupid me! sweatdrop ), but at least it looks like a sock so far and it fits well. The question is... do any of you know any REALLY GREAT sites on how to turn a heel from the toe-up perspective? Also, do you know any sites on a great way to bind off the ankle when I'm done. My binding off doesn't have the best elasticity. emo

From what I recall, turning a heel is pretty much the same either way you go. First you decrease and then you increase and pick up the stitches. Or you can do short rows, but no matter what heel turning instructions you find, it shouldn't matter whether it's toe up or cuff down.

As for bind offs, I'm going to suggest a sewn bind off. I used it on a pair of toe up socks and it worked beautifully!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:25 pm
Catcheen
Peppermint Elf

From what I recall, turning a heel is pretty much the same either way you go. First you decrease and then you increase and pick up the stitches. Or you can do short rows, but no matter what heel turning instructions you find, it shouldn't matter whether it's toe up or cuff down.

As for bind offs, I'm going to suggest a sewn bind off. I used it on a pair of toe up socks and it worked beautifully!
Thank you!!!! whee heart  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

Silvander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:36 pm
Catcheen
Peppermint Elf

How exactly would you do a sewn BO?  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff