Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Poetry
What do you think of this poem?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it any good?
  Augh! My eyes!
  Pretty good.
  So-so.
View Results

Requiem Dare

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:38 pm
Okay, it's short, but that's because I wrote it for a competition that can't have more than eight lines, but I think I'll lengthen it later.

Golden rays of sunlight,
Filtering through the breeze,

Suddenly start to dance,
Stirred by a chilly breeze.

A doe looks up,
Fawn by her side,

If only people,
Could see through her eyes.

It's not that good, but I really only write poetry once a year for this competition and don't know much about it. sweatdrop Maybe I'm more a book person.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:45 am
You have great imagery. I can see the bright rays of sun filtering through the trees and seeming to dance as the wind blows the leaves overhead. I can see the soft brown doe look up... it's very nice.
I understand that poetry is about self-expression and may be punctuated pretty much however the author wants to do it, but I'd take out the commas where they aren't needed. For example:

"Golden rays of sunlight
Filtering through the breeze
Suddenly start to dance,
Stirred by a chilly breeze."
Also... breeze needs to be changed in one of its places. Try "Filtering through the trees..."

Despite my critisism, I really do like it! Good luck in your contest!  

Adrianah

hippiepoet1964

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:27 pm
I liked your poem. It just seemed unfinished. The imagery was nice, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:52 pm
I like it and mainly agree with Adrianah about the commas and the 'breeze' thing. What I would add is the suggestion to change out the word "suddenly" for something less common. It's not that important, though, as it still makes for a pretty and clear piece of poetry.

I like it! Well done.  

rain-one

Lord_Skyy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:01 pm
I like your flow, it runs very smoothly. As mentioned by others, beautiful imagery. Short, simple, concise and strong. I tend to comment on flow alot. >.>  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:40 pm
Yeah, I had trees. sweatdrop I spaced off and put breeze. Thanks! biggrin The theme's supposed to be "The Beauty of God's Creation" though. Do you think it fits in that?  

Requiem Dare

Noche Flor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:03 pm
Adrianah
You have great imagery. I can see the bright rays of sun filtering through the trees and seeming to dance as the wind blows the leaves overhead. I can see the soft brown doe look up... it's very nice.
I understand that poetry is about self-expression and may be punctuated pretty much however the author wants to do it, but I'd take out the commas where they aren't needed. For example:

"Golden rays of sunlight
Filtering through the breeze
Suddenly start to dance,
Stirred by a chilly breeze."
Also... breeze needs to be changed in one of its places. Try "Filtering through the trees..."

Despite my critisism, I really do like it! Good luck in your contest!

I agree, although "Filtering through the trees..." isn't my favorite. Maybe you should try "Flittering 'round the trees..."  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:22 pm
What about "Filtering thrugh the leaves"?  

Requiem Dare

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:39 pm
It is good, but the imagery seems very complex for such a short poem. Ususally poems with this kind of descriptive-ness are a bit longer. Otherwise, it was pretty freaking awesome.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:48 pm
horseridergirl2
Okay, it's short, but that's because I wrote it for a competition that can't have more than eight lines, but I think I'll lengthen it later.

Golden rays of sunlight,
Filtering through the breeze,

Suddenly start to dance,
Stirred by a chilly breeze.

A doe looks up,
Fawn by her side,

If only people,
Could see through her eyes.

It's not that good, but I really only write poetry once a year for this competition and don't know much about it. sweatdrop Maybe I'm more a book person.

That's a very pretty poem. smile I like the last lines best. I think if people could see through an animal's eyes like that, the world would be a very different and most likely better place.  

Cat Without a Hat

Requiem Dare

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:06 pm
biggrin Thanks! I turned it in today, so hopefully I'll at least place. neutral I write one every year but they're never really very good. I was thinking about entering another one that my social studies teacher told us about today. The maximum length for the poem is three pages, so I could make it as long as I wanted, but I dunno. The theme's supposed to be "Less Than Perfect" and it's supposed to be about the holocaust.  
Poetry

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games