Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
LUL WHY U HAET TXT TLK? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dr Abominable

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:36 pm
TXT TLK MAKES U TYP FASTR.
U JST CNT DO IT CUZ UR DUM.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:03 pm
lol  

The Man who was Thursday

xXblacksakuraXx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:42 am
*raises eyebrow*

Right...well, for some people, thinking about how to shorten a word, then typing it out in a weird way that does not allow for a consistant and eloquent flow of words, would be useful. But not for me. Besides, the faster the you type, the more you get flood control. -.-  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:57 am
I don't use 'txt tlk', so that other people can actually understand what I'm saying - such as older people that might not know the lingo, and people whose first language is not English. That, and I'd rather not look stupid.

any1 can shrten thier wrds n spel dem rong it aint nothin spesh.
(Anyone can shorten their words and spell them wrong; it isn't special.)  

PrincessPeachey

- Q u e e n i e___ xo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:26 am
And it's just plain annoying. I can never understand it because English isn't my first language. I'm japanese and I was never taught these abbreviations so I don't know what they mean. I was taught to write and type literally and I will continue because I don't want to learn otherwise.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:07 am
Dr. Abominable

"You just can't do it because you're dumb."?
I beg to differ. (In My Opinion) When you use "Text-Talk", you are lowering your very I.Q.
It's like watching Joe Cartoon all day; you're gonna lose a few brain cells doing so.  

Shonen_Batman

Munia

Friendly Gaian

11,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:50 am
Language is about communication. Poorly written text affects this process in many ways -for example, chances are that you will not be able to find a word you don't know in the dictionary if it is misspelled. And "TXT TLK" is not only poor, but also based on English phonetics, which makes it even harder to understand, especially if English is not your first tongue. And while using "TXT TLK" may look cool to some people -not to me- I'd rather people understand what I say.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:59 am
Dr. Abominable

1. This is very annoying to most. (ie: me, my sister, my mother, us college students etc) You have to use proper grammar everywhere else, why not use it here.

2. You have to communicate with people. Talking and messaging is one way of doing that, but when you do something like the above, you are showing that you have limited communication skills. That will not help you in the real world when it comes to getting a job, or being in college.  

Nicoli Hunt

Omni_Reaper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:21 am
On the topic of people not being able to understand you or not, the majority of people on this site use 'txt tlk' so they have trouble understanding any other means of communication, you may not agree with this but when I'm talking to people they usually don't understand anything I say when I use proper grammer, spelling ect.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:39 am
foxgoddess34
And it's just plain annoying. I can never understand it because English isn't my first language. I'm japanese and I was never taught these abbreviations so I don't know what they mean. I was taught to write and type literally and I will continue because I don't want to learn otherwise.

Very well said! Both my parents are from europe and english wasn't their first language either >.- So When I shoudl some of the links in TXT TLK Horror Stories, they thought it was a diffferent language all together XDDD  

- Xenn be Twisted -

Marcus McFlufferson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:56 am
Oh. Your. God.
Do we have a troll in our ranks?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:13 am
How come no one is ever on these forums when I get here?  

Thermond

Marcus McFlufferson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:56 am
Or maybe the question is.. how come you're never on these forums when everyone else gets here?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:59 am
Shonen_Batman
"You just can't do it because you're dumb."?

*squee!* Someone else who puts the punctuation outside the quotes! I did something like that with my last English paper, and my teacher marked me off! *mutters* b***h...

Anyway, to get on subject, though text-talk may shorten words, and make it seem to shorten typing time, if you really think about it, typing words that you aren't used to typing can actually increase the time it takes to type. It really isn't that efficient, and I should know. I'm Chinese. (Yay stereotypes!)  

[yin~yang]

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:16 am
Dr. Abominable

[x]Yo Ho Ho[x]

1. "Can't" or "Wont?" I believe we wont do it because it is HORRIBLE! It lowers the standards of our language everywhere. Of course this is just my opinion.

2. We're stupid??? I think you got that the wrong way around. It should be: "I JST DO IT CUZ IM DUM". Huh... When I was writing that I had to look back at his for almost every letter. That was nasty.

3. How did you get into our Guild? This is what I don't understand...

[x]And a bottle of Rum...[x]

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces