Little known fact. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:29 pm
Those of you with interest in angel imagery, should get a kick out of this, I've found some odd stuff out about angels in my study as an artist, but this is the best. Christian artists got lazy, originaly an angel would have a number of wings according to his rank, its said that Gabriel had 32 wings. And if you look hard enough for old drawings, you can see this yourself. But eventually the artists started being lazy and two wings became the standard, its reckoned before the fall Lucifer would have had 120 wings.

Just goes to show, how a few lazy artists can affect a closely held religious beleif.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:01 pm
Huh, that is pretty interesting 3nodding
although "laziness" could be debatable - it could just be their own perspective.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

SamuraiArren

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:18 pm
Rellik San
Those of you with interest in angel imagery, should get a kick out of this, I've found some odd stuff out about angels in my study as an artist, but this is the best. Christian artists got lazy, originaly an angel would have a number of wings according to his rank, its said that Gabriel had 32 wings. And if you look hard enough for old drawings, you can see this yourself. But eventually the artists started being lazy and two wings became the standard, its reckoned before the fall Lucifer would have had 120 wings.

Just goes to show, how a few lazy artists can affect a closely held religious beleif.
I had heard something similar to that before, but had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:42 pm
Darkness Is My Life's Blood

I remember that, its what always happens with legends.

Light Is My Deaths Curse

Dante Omura

kykana

Invisible Informer

8,925 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Generous 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:47 pm
I had done research on angels a couple weeks ago for fun and had found out that the number of wings depended on rank, but the highest number I found out about was 6.
It was the Seraphim that had two wings to hide their face, two to hide their feet, and two to fly with.
But that note of them having up to 39, I'm going to look into that.
That's cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:05 pm
Well, artistic portrayal of a being with six wings squared is just preposterous.

You try drawing it, and making it look attractive and holy.

Botticelli sure as hell couldn't do it.

-Isel-

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:19 pm
Yup, angels have many wings.

And as usual, Evangelion, FTW

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:15 pm
Whoaaaaaaaaa. That is really, really neat. heart  

EvFaerAshlynn

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:08 pm
I do not see how the number of wings on an angel is relevent to the core of the Christian faith; a.k.a. salvation.

That aside, I knew that bit of info anyway.

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:49 pm
120? Where did he fit them all?  

Silly_Doll

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:27 am
You see all sorts of flurries of wings in medieval art. Some artists were determined to paint the right number of wings, and it looks like the angels' faces are about to drown in them. lol  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:21 pm
Rellik San

Interesting I have never realized that or heard that before exclaim  

Devils_lilboy

Vexworth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:43 pm
*pictures an angel losing control of all those and crashing headlong into a tree*  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:44 pm
the most i've seen is 6. i say, if an angel had 30+ wings, then how fast can they fly?  

blackfoxi

Dante Omura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:28 pm
Darkness Is My Life's Blood

I see that as a oddity as well, why so many wings if all you need is two, isn't that a bit excessive, what do angels ahave to worry about pulling rank?

Light Is My Deaths Curse

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces