Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
Cell Phone Horror Stories Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Read 1st post, then answer] Eyes burning?
  AUGH! *reaches for cold compress*
  Nope. I have eyes of steel.
  You IDIOT!
View Results

babyflyingsquirrels

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:37 pm
Cell phones need an automatic spell checker. I mean, the T9Word isn't going to cut it. Text messages need to be readable, or you need to pick up the damn phone and talk.
SHARE YOUR TALES OF TERROR AND CELL PHONE-BASED ILLITERACY HERE!
An example from my friend...who is beyond the help of a spell-checker.
"so like wat r u doing this wknd xc is goin 2 the movies r u cmn its rky b sriously u shud come its guna be so much fun wink "
(Translation (as far as I can tell): So, what are you doing this weekend? Some of the cross country team is going to the movies. Are you coming? Come on, it's Rocky Balboa! Seriously, you should come, it's going to be so much fun!)
Needless to say, I did NOT go to the movies that weekend. I sat at home with a big bottle of Naproxen (a painkiller), a cold compress, and some chocolate.
Spell checkers should come standard in cell phones, and be sensitive to whatever "txt talk" jargon in in style at the moment...They would save me many headaches. Most of my friends are at least semi-literate, but this one...oh dear.
Comments? Horror stories? Post away!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:49 am
I'm not so anti text talk when its on a phone. Okay, I'm against it when it's used like your example, just for the sake of it. On the other hand, I will use it occasionally. I get 145 characters for 10p, and if using txt tlk saves me money, then I'll use it, but only enough to bump me down under 145.  

CezzaXV

Buccellatte

Sparkly Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:32 am
Using bad grammar to save money is horrible in my opinion. I always use proper grammar when I'm on my cell phone. Anything less is unacceptable to me.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:52 am
I understand shortening words on text messages (what a pain to write!), but that was so confusing! eek  

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

iCrayon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:28 pm
Texting is the only time I tolerate txt talk, since it actually takes time to type on a normal cell, but that is just pushing it way overboard. eek  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:38 pm
Yea, txt tlk on a phone is acceptable but you should at least be able to understand it!! burning_eyes burning_eyes  

Noche Flor

DemonessRose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:14 am
How did txt talk get so out of hand... whatever happened to talking on a phone? It is quite easy, dial a few numbers and your thumb won't be so tired from constantly clicking buttons to get the right letter. On top of that, people are writing txt talk on essay's, important papers, tests...

scream WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Okay I'm fine now...  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:13 am
Ok, this is not quite a TXT TLK horror story, but it does illustrate how text messages can be mistaken.

I work in an office as an administrative assistant. I am the youngest one here and all the guys I work with know I am more "technology literate" than they are. One received a text message from another employee at a different location and came to me because he couldn't figure out what an acronym that was used meant. I looked at the message and in bold letters was typed BGWOK. I have seen a lot of acronyms, but never this one. So I looked at the content around it and nearly died laughing. It wasn't an acronym at all, it was the spelling of the noise a chicken would make. The line before it referenced one of our customers being afraid to try the new product and this was his way of expressing it.

So, even when not using TXT TLK messages can get misconstrued. Perhaps it's time to start dialing the number instead of texting the message...  

Kitten_Ember

sachamp45

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:52 pm
"Txt-tlk" is confusing. I mean I know, I know! It can happen with typos and stuff and its easier, but seriosuly! Do you really want to decodE: "heya. wer guna go to teh prty ovr @ joes house. wnna cme? its guna be totly awesme. every1s guna be thre & his prnts arnt guna B home. so u wna cme?" I know, I know. It's pretty easy. But it took me around a month or two to just learn the "basics" (i.e. lol- laugh out loud, rofl- a particularly hard one: rolling on the floor laughing, btw- by the way, afk- away from keybord, brb- be right back...ect.) "txt-tlk" is a hard language to learn!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:54 pm
((What does the "you idiot" option signify?))  

sachamp45

Buccellatte

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:35 pm
Come on you wussies!

I can type 60 words a minute on my cell phone.
With proper grammar.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:54 pm
xXSavage NymphXx
Come on you wussies!

With proper grammar.

>.>

I can't even type 60 words per minute on my keyboard, let alone a cell phone.  

Angel80272

Buccellatte

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:59 pm
Angel80272
xXSavage NymphXx
Come on you wussies!

With proper grammar.

>.>

With practice, anything is possible. I can type 100+wpm on a keyboard.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:07 pm
xXSavage NymphXx
Angel80272
xXSavage NymphXx
Come on you wussies!

With proper grammar.

>.>

True... I'm better than my old ~19 WPM when I first started typing... and that was even looking at the keyboard.  

Angel80272

Buccellatte

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:10 pm
Angel80272
xXSavage NymphXx
Angel80272
xXSavage NymphXx
Come on you wussies!

With proper grammar.

>.>

True... I'm better than my old ~19 WPM when I first started typing... and that was even looking at the keyboard.

Wow. Well, I typed at 8 wpm untill I started going online a lot. This post took me about thirty seconds to type.  
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff