Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Grammatical Arena Absurdity

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you mind grammatical and spelling errors in the Arena?
  Yes, people should be able to communicate their ideas in a reasonal literacy
  No, as long as they can hack out something halfway intelligent that gets their idea across
  Burn them at the STAKE! I am a Grammar Nazi! Low Ratings for Bad Grammar
  Woz dat u saw? Meh Momma sed it doont madda dat I didt paz Fist Graid Spekin!
View Results

Clearly Opaque

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:46 am
Does anyone else see a problem with people in the Arenas that put up descriptions that are nearly illiterate?!?!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:48 am
I think that they should type out their descriptions properly. If I saw a description in 'txt tlk' I would lower the mark, as the mark as just as much for the avatar as it is the description.

If people can't read the description then it would certainly lower the marks the gave, as if they don't know what the person is talking about, how can they like the avatar?  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

Clearly Opaque

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:52 am
See, I am not a complete grammar nazi, BUT I do feel it is very important that people who wish to communicate an idea be able to do that with the medium they are working with: aka, you need a description, if you can't spell or write decently, GET THE HELL OFF OF THE NET!

Sure, there are some descriptions that need the use of "creative writing" that requires one to use a description that is out of the ordinary English language in tone or style, and that I understand. But my main complaint is this:

People who write their long winded description in first person, then switch to second person, then back, or WORSE, omnipresent to first to second to third to back to omni, and etc! Or just plain HIDEOUS spelling errors, or horrible grammar that makes it hard for anyone that does not speak in grunts and clicks as a first language to understand!

So, over-all, I will actually give lower ratings for people who grossly abuse language in a way that is just plain ignorant.

I am just curious if anyone else sees problems with this kind of matter, or not?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:56 am
Smoozle
[...] if they don't know what the person is talking about, how can they like the avatar?

Exactly! This entire thread stemmed from my having left a comment for someone telling them that I marked them down for bad grammar. I later got a message from "a friend of theirs" who was threatening to report me to Admins, and going off about "their homie id a gret speler and they dont spek Englis as a fist lang so STFU!" LOL I found the entire thing absurd.  

Clearly Opaque

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:59 am
Thanks. That is kind of funny that someone thought they could report you for marking them down for bad grammar.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:22 am
Smoozle
Thanks. That is kind of funny that someone thought they could report you for marking them down for bad grammar.

They can sure TRY but my guess is the admins will get as much of a laugh out of it as I!  

Clearly Opaque

SinnyStar

Invisible Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:41 am
I would prefer they type their description correctly... it does leave an impression.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:25 am
I don't ususally rate them down... most of the time, there is no more "down" to go to. Usually (NOT saying always), these avatars are overdone anyway. If I see a really creative and original avatar with a sloppy description, I'll only rate it down one or two notches.

What bothers me more: "no description"

Just like that, with no capitals or punctuation or anything. *growls*  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out