Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Was spotlighting a bad thing? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Well, what do you think?
  Spotlighting wasn't the best, but it was OK.
  I hate it.
  What are you saying? It was awesome!
View Results

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:46 am
I've noticed that before the guild was spotlighted, we had fewer derogatory posts, fewer insults and flames, and more genuine posts. On the other hand, there are now members that truly care about grammar that never would have joined without it. I'm asking the question, "Was spotlighting a bad thing?"

Please share any opinions you have on the topic.

(Of course, this is ignoring the "Do you talk of good" thing that was fixed.)  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:44 am
It's always easier to prune bad members out than is it to find new good members. Any increase in activity is good, really, as long as the idiots are taken care of.  

Angel80272

[ Pyrite ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:38 pm
[x]
The guild spotlight was the best thing that happened to this guild, as far as I'm concerned. Why, you might ask?

The guild spotlight brought me here, and I'm awesome.

~
Pyrite
[x]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:42 pm
I wouldn't have known of the guild without the spotlighting.
So I obviously think it a good thing.  

Marcus McFlufferson

x_Chromatic Zelda_x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:44 pm
I think it was a good thing...Of course I'm new, too, so of course I'm glad it was...  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:46 pm
I suppose it was a good thing.

It's the reason I'm here after all.

limp dick

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:33 pm
I hated it! Yes, it was good to get new, literate members like those who have posted in this thread. But if you guys could see all the inane, abysmal membership applications.

The worst (even worse than the illiterate ones) are from people who "just want to be in a guild". What does this look like, a hangout guild?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:28 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
I hated it! Yes, it was good to get new, literate members like those who have posted in this thread. But if you guys could see all the inane, abysmal membership applications.

The worst (even worse than the illiterate ones) are from people who "just want to be in a guild". What does this look like, a hangout guild?

That's the main reason I didn't like it. I noticed immediately afterward a lot of spam posts. I like some of the new members, and I think it might have been worth it. It depends on future activity, too.

The "inane, abysmal membership applications." *shudder* I don't even want to know what some people have said.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Odenpa Kunoichi

Shadowy Girl

11,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:12 am
Yami no Hitokiri

Would you mind telling me some more? I'm bored right now, and I could use a good laugh.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:26 pm
I'm glad for the spotlight because that is how I found this guild. I found people that actually type out words instead of "txt-talk" and now I can meet people who have conversations that make sense. I say thank you to the spot-light.

-Korrey-  

Korrey

hoshi.kagenokoi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:45 pm
It brought me here. I like it here. The posts are readable. It makes me happy.

~~

Forgive the short sentences above. Sometimes I become a strange creature incapable of stringing together more than four words at a time. I've yet to determine a cause, but the rent-a-cops in my brain are currently searching for one. No, wait, now they've stopped for coffee and doughnuts.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:52 pm
I would've found this guild either way, I'm frustrated with trying to read messages from the illiterate.. not that the members of this guild are the nicest of people...  

Kisu Midori

Ishita_Kanzar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:24 pm
Without the spotlight, I wouldn't have known guilds like this existed. But of course, that's mainly because I'm new to Gaia and I'm not really all that clued in (so to speak) as to the extent of the community here.

It probably wasn't the best for the guild, but not an incredibly terrible event. Any sort of 'spotlighting' would catch the eyes of those lurkers and they'd apply "just for kicks" (although I don't see where that would happen). *shrug*

I'm sure it'll be over soon.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:45 am
Yami no Hitokiri

I agree. There are also the people who only put "I want to join" or something similar and no reason why they want to join. I surely hope that the people who applied actually want to join. If they didn't want to join, they shouldn't have applied in the first place.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

shinaichica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:00 pm
I, for one, am grateful that the guild was spotlighted because I don't know if I would have found out about it otherwise.

As a college graduate I have been missing the opportunity to talk about grammar and literature with others and this seems like a great place to do so.

In my experience with other websites (livejournal, for example) communities that are highlighted will experience an increase in membership applications/criticism for a month or so and then the regular members will continue to post while the newbies who weren't really interested will fade away.

Just wait it out.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces