Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Runes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MOD66

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:10 pm
(I don't know if there already is a thread about this if not w00t!)

I've always been intrested in divination of many sorts. I've always wanted to get a set of runes but i could never find them with in my budget(yes 15 year olds have bugets...or alteast I do) Recently i met some one that made their own set. This intrested me and i decided to make my own too, Two sets one black one white. But i have a few questions.

1- Should the runes have symbols on both sides?
2-What dose it mean when the rune is 'reversed'
3-Would it be bad to use an old Nogo set to make them?

I ask for your opinions because i can't find it on the web and im on the low end of cash so books are out of the qestion

(damn Twack needs a job)  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:39 pm
Twack

I've always been intrested in divination of many sorts. I've always wanted to get a set of runes but i could never find them with in my budget(yes 15 year olds have bugets...or alteast I do) Recently i met some one that made their own set. This intrested me and i decided to make my own too, Two sets one black one white. But i have a few questions.

I ask for your opinions because i can't find it on the web and im on the low end of cash so books are out of the qestion

(damn Twack needs a job)

There might be a thread already, but I'll answer.

1.) Runes should only have the symbol on one side; as they are usually thrown in divination (traditionally, at least), the face down ones signified runes that didn't have anything to do with your reading.

2.) Many rune pictures are symmetrical and so never look "reversed". It's just like a reversed Tarot card; it looks upside-down.

3.) WTH is Nogo? Runes can be made out of many, many things. I made a runic talisman out of Crayola Model Magic once. XD Very durable and lightweight.  

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Battle: KO 200

MOD66

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:47 pm
Azana Brown
Twack

(damn Twack needs a job)

1.) Runes should only have the symbol on one side; as they are usually thrown in divination (traditionally, at least), the face down ones signified runes that didn't have anything to do with your reading.

2.) Many rune pictures are symmetrical and so never look "reversed". It's just like a reversed Tarot card; it looks upside-down.

3.) WTH is Nogo? Runes can be made out of many, many things. I made a runic talisman out of Crayola Model Magic once. XD Very durable and lightweight.
Thanks very much, Nogo is the traditional jappenese name for the Chinese/Korean/Jappenese board commonly called "Go" in america  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:47 pm
Twack
Azana Brown
Twack

(damn Twack needs a job)

Thanks very much, Nogo is the traditional jappenese name for the Chinese/Korean/Jappenese board commonly called "Go" in america

Like with those tiny little stones? They may be too small, but I guess as long as you can fit the sigil on it, it works. I still stand by my Model Magic talisman. XD

I have a cheap clay pair I got for Christmas with a book on them. They make a good starter set. MY current faves are a solstice gift to myself and are made of Citrine. biggrin

This person has lots of good info on the Futhark Runes!

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/index.html  

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:27 am
Yup, what Azana said. I'd also add that 'reversed' interpretations are sort of an importation of Tarot into rune reading, from what I understand, and is not part of their original usage. Neither is the 'blank' rune; wholely invented rune.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:33 pm
Starlock
Yup, what Azana said. I'd also add that 'reversed' interpretations are sort of an importation of Tarot into rune reading, from what I understand, and is not part of their original usage. Neither is the 'blank' rune; wholely invented rune.

1.) Runes were originally thrown, so I don't think reversals really mattered. When people started pulling them like Tarot, it would seem natural that the concepts of reversals would come with it. However, when making a runic talisman, reversals don't matter; they can go any direction and mean the same thing.

2.) The "blank rune" is handy for if/when you lose one. ^_^ But it doesn't hold any divinatory meaning in the original runes.  

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am
Azana Brown
Starlock

1.) Runes were originally thrown, so I don't think reversals really mattered. When people started pulling them like Tarot, it would seem natural that the concepts of reversals would come with it. However, when making a runic talisman, reversals don't matter; they can go any direction and mean the same thing.

2.) The "blank rune" is handy for if/when you lose one. ^_^ But it doesn't hold any divinatory meaning in the original runes.

Some people like to give the blank rune an interpretation though, representing the fates, for example. It'd signifiy something beyond your control and whatnot. I'll probably throw it out of my rune set though. But Tarot likes me so much I'm not sure if I want to bother with Runes for divination. whee  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:04 am
Starlock
Azana Brown
Starlock

Some people like to give the blank rune an interpretation though, representing the fates, for example. It'd signifiy something beyond your control and whatnot. I'll probably throw it out of my rune set though. But Tarot likes me so much I'm not sure if I want to bother with Runes for divination. whee

I like them because they're easier to shuffle, memorize, and clean up. I suck at shuffling, so Tarot takes me forever to get them thoroughly mixed, and I always have to look up the meanings. On the other hand, the runes have relatively simplistic symbols and meanings, and you just shake the bag. ^_^

I still remember my favorite three Norn rune reading. Urd: Reversed Algiz Verdandi: Isa Skuld: Teiwaz. They made an arrow pointing at the person I was reading for. XD  

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:20 pm
I don't mind looking up meanings, I guess. I figure if I do it enough things will eventually click into place. whee Shuffling doesn't bother me either... I use that as part of my focusing time for the question.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:00 pm
Starlock
I don't mind looking up meanings, I guess. I figure if I do it enough things will eventually click into place. whee Shuffling doesn't bother me either... I use that as part of my focusing time for the question.

I use it the same way...it's just that I often don't have the time to go through all that for a reading. I'm a busy little college nerd. Shaking a bag is quite a bit easier.  

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100

swampyface

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:12 pm
ooh oooh mee mee meeeeeee!

i read the runes =D

and reversed runes DO mean something.

just cause they didnt really orginally doesnt mean they dont now. things evolve. =)

reversed runes are like reversed tarot cards. they mean almost the opposite of the right side up rune.

most of the time.

get a book. it'll tell you.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:29 am
(nods) Yeah, I don't personally mind the reversed readings even though they're not part of the original system. However, there are runes that have no reversed meaning (or so I hear) since they look the same right side up as upside down!  

Starlock
Crew

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:55 pm
Starlock
(nods) Yeah, I don't personally mind the reversed readings even though they're not part of the original system. However, there are runes that have no reversed meaning (or so I hear) since they look the same right side up as upside down!

Exactly, like Isa, which is simply a straight up-and-down line. Upside down...it's a straight up-and-down line. If the symbol looks the same right side up and upside-down, there can't possibly be a reversal reading for it!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:19 am
MOD66

(damn Twack needs a job)

huh.... neutral well....i guess if you are not averse to shoplifting you could still find some books, but whatever. anyway, i don't know much anything about runes, but i think that a nogo set would be fine. as for having runes on both sides, that realy depends. i'd say go for it, cause i can feel that that idea is strong in your mind. you should always listen to your instincts and intuition when doing something personal. i heard somewhere what a reversed rune means, but i can't remember it right now. i am sorry. the symbols you use should be however you persieve to be right for you. it is a very personal thing, and i for example have used rune carvings when making my staff-sized wand. i just made little symbols to represent the energies i wanted. i have said befor ethat i don't know much about runes, and could only realy "draw" the element ones...i just wrote the names for the other stuff. the runes i made were fire, water, wind, earth, darkness, and light. you could always use a library, or just read while your at a bookstore....if you can bring a notebook, they usualy will let you copy notes from a book there. 3nodding i myself tend to just memorize stuff, i have a photographic memory.  

twilight insanity

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff